Should I return this lens?

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Peter
I recently picked up a used P12-35/2.8 that was available at an attractive price due to some barrel wear on the body.

I received it in the mail today, and I noticed that there was a speck on the glass in the rear of the lens along with some cloudiness surrounding it in the shape of a perfect circle.

I've taken several test shots around the home tonight, and I haven't noticed anything wrong with the photos. I'm actually really happy with what the lens has allowed me to achieve in relative poor lighting.

However, I'm not sure if the speck/cloudiness is something I should be concerned about. I've never seen anything like this before and not sure what to make of it. I've tried cleaning it with air, microfiber, and a lens pen, but it looks to be on the inside of the glass. I don't see any branching so doubt that it's fungus.

I'm able to return it for a full refund if I like, but I'd rather not since it'd be hard for me to find it again for the price I paid.

If you click the image below, you'll get a better view of it; it's on the left side (the purplish blobs are just reflections). It's a bit difficult to catch as it's really only visible at certain angles.

32489922996_899ba5d0b3_k.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Should I keep or return the lens?

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Or fungus for that matter, which is more likely.

In either case, I would return it.

Kind regards, Wim

Speedliner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rob
Things like this often worsen not improve. I might take it to a local store that services lenses for their opinion...if you have one nearby. If not I'd probably play it safe and return, especially if it wasn't disclosed at time of purchase.

Phocal

God
I recently picked up a used P12-35/2.8 that was available at an attractive price due to some barrel wear on the body.

I am going to guess the reason you really got such a good deal on it is because of this problem, not the wear on the barrel. I would return it and look for a copy that is in better shape, even if I have to pay a bit more for it. When something seems like to good of a deal, it is.

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Peter
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I've gone ahead and requested an RMA for the lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom