Should i put a filter on canon fd 50mm f3.5 macro lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chuenmasiello, Sep 23, 2012.

1. chuenmasiello

chuenmasiello Mu-43 Regular

Jun 29, 2012
    Hi, I have a habit of putting filter on a lens to protect the front element. However, this lens has a very special design, if I put a filter in front, it looks like putting a filter on top of the lens hood, I haven't receive the lens yet, but can anyone who has this lens give me some advises about this? Thanks a lot.
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    This lens has a very deep recess for the front element, it's like a tunnel. It would be similar to putting a filter on a lens hood in that respect. I probably wouldn't recommend it... I've not really used filters but with that much space between the lens element and filter I suspect reflections might be a problem.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Whether or not you "should" or "shouldn't" is entirely personal. If you believe in using filters for protection, then there really is no reason why the 50mm f/3.5 is different from any other lens in your bag. To me, there's a whole lot of extra space in that lens for dust to gather and a filter makes good sense.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. phassat

phassat New to Mu-43

Sep 30, 2012
    Not really the same case but I went to the local camera shop yesterday to check a filter for my fd 50mm f1.8.
    The lens was $35 from ebay while ok filter was at about the same price. So, I would not put any filter as for the cost, i could buy another cheap legacy.
    • Like Like x 1