Should I open the box?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jgmankos, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jgmankos

jgmankos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2012
    Slatington, PA
    John
    I've been spending the last few weeks convincing myself that I love my E-M10 and I would not want/need to upgrade to the E-M5II...

However...for reason's I'll not get into (mainly because it will mean admitting that I'm a weak, impulsive, whimsical fool)...When I arrive home from work this evening, I'll have a box waiting for me that contains an E-M5II along with a 75/1.8 (I really went to Adorama's site to buy the lens...honest!)

So...as I said I really am happy with my E-M10. It is small, fast, light and has awesome image quality. I find since switching to this m43 kit I take my camera with much more, where when I was shooting a bulky SLR system I'd only take it with if I really felt the need. Now I just like the camera so much I find myself finding more reasons to go out and shoot.

I know if I go home and open that box, I'll gain a better IBIS system, weather sealing, slightly higher FPS, and 1/8000 shutter speed vs. 1/4000. I'm not sure how much I'd need to shoot faster than 1/4000. 8FPS on the M10 already feels like a machine gun and I just don't feel I'd need anything faster. Better IBIS and weather sealing, yeah I definitely see the benefits there.

On the flip side...the E-M10 of course has a popup flash...but to be honest I'm an available light kind of shooter and on the occasions I do use flash...it's generally bounced which requires a flash unit anyway.

I believe both cameras are roughly the same size, give or take a few mm here or there.

So, if I should decide to go home and open the box...what else would I really be gaining over the E-M10?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Better EVF
    Better Video
    Faster Shutter
    Electronic Shutter
    Better IBIS
    Weather Sealing
    Improved Ergonomics

If you're not hurting for cash (which I'm guessing you're not since you probably spent ~$1900 to buy the camera and lens), then I'd say keep the EM5II, and sell the EM10 for what you can. It's a really great upgrade over the EM5/EM10

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don't know the EMii very well, but I will say this (as someone who suffers from talking myself into things I shouldn't) -- ask yourself how realistically you would actually use those things -- sounds like really only weather sealing and better IBIS. Don't let yourself talk yourself into spending more money. Use instead that money to go on vacation, eat out at a nice restaurant, buy a turntable, send your kid to college, buy your significant other a nice gift, get a massage, etc. etc. etc.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We have both the E-M10 and the E-M5 ii. If you like the E-M10, you will find the mk ii very pleasing. That said, they are very similar in size and function. Other posters have listed the differences. I am super happy with the E-M5 mk ii and my wife uses the E-M10.

5. jpig

jpig Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Open the box, keep the EM5 II.

In order to feel better about your purchase, send me the EM10. I love mine and have been thinking about getting a second one. Its capabilities exceed my skills by a wide margin.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I have the E-M10. I wished for 1/8000 a couple of times shooting wide open with a prime lens. And I couple of times I shoot under light rain hoping for the best.
    So yes, I'd consider the upgrade. It is worth the money? Not for me, I'd go for the 40-150 instead, for example.
    I do not have any idea how much I could get from selling the E-M10 too. Probably right now is a good time to sell.
    If you are thinking about the 40-150 the extrernal grip should be much better.
    The E-M5 should have a slightly longer support life (firmware updates, etc.) too being a more recent product.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Not one person mentioned the most obvious. You would have one really cool new camera with all the latest tech and one really badass second/backup camera.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Oh common, tell us the bloody truth - black 75mm/1.8 for $599 is what you really wanted! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. jgmankos

jgmankos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2012
    Slatington, PA
    John
    Wait...did I miss something? I did get it for $699...I didn't see any 75mm for 599

But that does bring up a point....that was part of the thought process...buying the lens with a body dropped the lens price from 899 to 699. I was in the market for a 75 anyway...

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well if you tend to swap lenses often and your bag can hold both now you won't have to swap as much.

11. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Then you've missed a good sale, send the package back. https://www.mu-43.com/threads/73931/

PS: used 75mm is pretty common for $600-$650 on Buy/Sale forum here.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  12. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I think that you should open the box, it's the right thing to do. On a side note, I'm here using a very outdated EP3, perhaps you should send me the EM-10 hahaha :drinks:

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Open the box and go to Taco Bell. Also, your kid could work at Taco Bell. I'm just saying . . .

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Ah hell - YOLO. If it makes you happy, then keep it! OTOH - it's unlikely to make better pictures and the money could be spent on going somewhere to take pictures with your lovely E-M10 and that delicious 75!

15. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    I find that selling something usually helps with my buyer’s remorse :) Sell the E-M10? Keep the EM5II, because you really need that awesome 40MP mode! From what I’ve seen, OK, it’s limited. But in the right setting, it is awesome.

Owning the E-P5 of course the other big plus of the E-M5II is the mode lever. It’s like having 4 control dials instead of 2, and it just makes setting up a shot so easy, albeit even if you do have to flick the lever. And that faster shutter speed is useful.

16. gobeatty

gobeatty Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2014
    Does it have an all-electronic shutter? If so, can it be used all the time to avoid shutter shock? Any downside?

17. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'd buy lenses instead (in fact, that's exactly what I did). The E-M10 is a fine camera. People keep bringing up the weathersealing...but...psssst. You don't have any weathersealed lenses. So, unless you're also thinking of plunking down a grand for a 12-40 (or at least a few hundred for a 12-50), that feature is utterly wasted for you. 8 fps is already ridiculously fast...people who shot the Olympics a few years ago had that. It was good enough for them, I'm sure it's good enough for you. Yes, the faster shutter speed is nice, but you can live without it...I don't know...if it were me, I'd keep the 10 and buy something else (I ended up keeping my E-M5 instead of getting the II and spent the money on a GoPro and put the rest aside for whatever lens I'm getting next. :) )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    It will you admitted to yourself that you are
    . But what hell, it's in your house NOW, don't pass up the opportunity. It'll make you feel better. Other wise you'll be strong, disciplined, stoic, bored, and always wondering. Open it!!!

19. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Take the car...

Take the girl...

Take the car...

Take the girl...

20. DMLarson

DMLarson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2014
    Dan
    Recently I was shooting some landscape using the E-M1 with the O12-40 and the E-M10 with the O75. It was really cool to have that versatility and I got lots of great shots from both cameras. It is nice to have a great second body when you want one.

• Agree Agree x 2