1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Should I keep the 30mm or go for a 25mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by agentlossing, Jan 14, 2015.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm thinking over my current gear this year, definitely still a fan of the 35mm FOV, and since the Olympus 17mm f1.8 is too expensive for my taste, I will stick with the f2.8, which I still quite like anyway. But then I have this Sigma 30mm, which always impresses with its sharpness and overall image quality, but I can't seem to get to be friends with the focal length. I've always enjoyed images shot with the 50mm focal length, even though I'm more of a 35mm guy myself, and I'm wondering if the Olympus 25mm "looks" significantly different from the 30mm, enough to justify the purchase (I'd probably sell the Sigma).

1. I want a little more in the frame than the 30mm lets me get, and
    2. I know I could use f1.8 to my advantage over the Sigma.

But it really comes down to whether the focal length feels different enough to justify the upgrade. I've been debating upgrading body this year instead, but will probably only do so if I see the GX7 at that nice low $399 price point it was on eBay a little while back (wish I hadn't missed it).

2. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Well, both lenses get high marks for image quality, and as you point out, the Olympus is a bit faster. I am guessing you have a kit lens, so why not try to shoot at 25mm and 30mm on that to get a feel for the difference in focal length?

3. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Nope, I've steered clear of kit zooms for quite awhile. I have the 17mm f2.8 and the 30mm for my native lenses now.

4. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    The focal length may not be so different, but the f1.8 will be useful. And you can always get the S60 later for that Sigma magic.

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The 25/1.8 focuses much faster, has less CA and is a bit sharper.

6. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I like the 17mm/2.8 also, but the 25mm is pretty close in focal length, and close to the 30mm. How about the 45mm/1.8? 17mm and 45mm would be my desert island focal lengths, and the price of a used 45 is getting close to the price of a used 25. If you want to try the focal length before buying the 45, you can get an old manual-focus 50mm lens and an adapter and try it out. 45mm and 50mm have a similar intimate perspective, but the Oly is sharper than most legacy lenses and its autofocus is very convenient.

7. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Hmm, actually the 45mm used is about $50 cheaper than the 25mm used from what I can see. I've never shot with it, and though I know it's very well regarded I don't tend to shoot long much. Still, something to think about!

GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

8. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    And the other thing is, I have a number of legacy lenses, including some good fifties, such as the Super-Takumar and Hexanon f1.4s.