1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Should I just buy the E-M1?????? Help!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pcrit, Jan 19, 2014.

1. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    I am new to this forum and really want to make the serious leap to m 4/3 and love the size difference and portability and I feel image quality is finally there at last. I have tried some Panasonic bodies in the past and sold because it was too small and complicated and I could not justify the expense and quite frankly image quality was just not there although it was good. Fast forward to today and I have a huge investment and Nikon with a D3s and D3 combo with all the lenses and I won't give them up but I am tired of lugging them all around for smaller events or nonpaid shoots. I shoot as a wedding photographer assistant part time and do some small side work like events and portraits on my own but want to expand and do more. I hate the idea of investing in a whole other system but can sell off Nikon gear I am not using. I really love the portability and size of m 4/3 and image quality equals anything else I use for my purposes so far.

Here is my big issue, I just bought an epl5 and like it except for the controls and I miss having two dials and controlling everything easily. I don't really want an em-5 or ep-5 as the E-M1 does everything I want and love the look and functionality. Has anyone made the plunge to use their FF or APS-C less and use the E-M1 as a main or second body? Another big concern is the price and I have noticed that m 4/3 lose value so much. You can buy and ep5 or em5 for half of what they were going for. I know this true of most bodies but seems like it happens much faster with these. Do I just take the plunge and see if the joy of using it will exceed my concern? I need help from someone who owns one please.

2. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    but where does the depreciation come into play? are you building it into a replacement plan in the future? optics hold their value because lenses are lenses. bodies... if it fulfills your need for the price youre comfortable with then its a good buy.

3. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Very true, basically looking to sell off anything I am not using much like my D5100 and D300s with lenses but I am investing in a whole other system with lenses, flash, etc which can be a considerable expense but I think it will be worth it in the end. I guess I am looking for opinions on others who have done the same but from what I have seen everything has been positive.

4. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Personally, I don't think you should factor in the depreciation much at all. I mean, if you intend to use the camera for at least a few years, then go for it. Generally speaking, what I DO think you should factor in is whether the camera has pretty close to the latest technology you are looking for. I mean, for example, I am kind of waiting to see what any possible replacement for the E-M5 might have, because I would REALLY like to have focus peaking. But, in the case of the E-M1, it seems to have most of the bells and whistles that m43 currently provides, so you are covered there very well. Get it!! :)

5. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Well, I'm still in the midst of selling off my Canon gear. A Canon lens goes out, the equivalent (or close to) Olympus lens comes in.

Although I never really purchased my Canon gear with the idea that it would hold its value.

If you want to move into the m43 system, selling your other camera gear to do it is the oldest trick in the book.

I know a few guys who have D3s for their work but have m43 for travel and personal use. They love the system. I'd say now is a very good time to get into the system. If you can afford to have both systems go for it. Also, you may one day want to try your m43 system in a pro situation - especially if you're a second photographer on a job with your standard work cameras.

Have fun!

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    pcrit, based on your posts I believe you have an itch that will only be scratched with an E-M1. Give it a shot!

7. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    If the size difference is your main motivation, I'm not sure that the E-M1 is a wise choice. AFAIK, it is bigger than some APS-C DSLR. The lens are smaller than APS-C though and the size or weight difference is in favour of m43 when you compare whole bags.

As far as the price is concerned, I had the impression that m43 lenses were cheaper than APS-C or FF lenses. (Because of the smaller glass elements, and easier construction because of the shorter flange, I guess)
    Am I wrong??

8. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    I should just buy it and I am sure I probably will, I can always return it if I don't like it but don't see that happening. The size of the body isn't really my issue and I prefer a larger body but the benefit of the smaller lenses and they do seem to be cheaper. My feeling is micro four thirds is finally a cost effective contender and it is a great time and look forward to see how it develops. I think there is a perception factor which is a shame.

9. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    I dumped my entire nikon system (J1&V1) for the E-M1 and I am loving it! So much so that the Canon 7D is soon to be on the chopping block.

Adapting lenses on the M1 is more satisfying with older analog lenses. Ones with aperture control in the lens. I have a couple FD lenses I am almost using religiously on it ATM.

But the native m43 lenses have come so far I would just focus on getting so,e nice fast primes to really see the system for what it's worth.

Buy/sell what ever you got to get into a E-M1 and i can almost guarantee you won't be disappointed. Just do it!!!

10. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    I had a Nikon DX then FX system - still have the FX
    I'm just a hobbyist , but I can say I haven't used the Nikon since I bought my E-M1
    for my purposes - it is a tremendous upgrade in terms of portability.
    The lenses are awesome, I'm very happy with the change - and I am seriously considering selling my Nikon gear

11. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    I am glad to hear you are both so happy and I am in the process of selling my Nikon DX system but keeping the FX for weddings. It is not moving as fast as I thought but it will sell and always does. I see an Adorama purchase today!!!! Any recommendations for reasonably priced lenses - $500 and below. I have the Oly 45mm 1.8 and love it. Should I sell my EPL5 with the two kits lens, or rather return and put it towards the E-M1? I do prefer two bodies and want one that is more portable.

12. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    If I had a budget of $2,000-$2,500 at the most what would you get, I shoot mostly weddings and portraits and some events. I would also need a flash.

13. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I like viewfinders so a used EM5 sounds like a great second body to an EM1 to me.

Fred

14. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    for IQ, i find opening in Adobe Standard profile it is a bit noisier at all ISO compared to my APS-C and FF systems. quite very obviously, too. cleans up easily , and overall result im happy with. but if its thinking that theyre near-equivalent now, theyre not....

15. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I've done second/primary wedding shooting for 10 years. Due to the vast difference in control layout between the E-PL5 (it is a P&S type camera with a big sensor) and the OMD bodies, I have found the E-PL5 to be useless as a second body. Backup? better than nothing. Unless you're shooting beach weddings during the day, I would return the E-PL5 and kit lenses.

I don't know where you're working, but here in the NYC area, receptions are commonly held at night in big, dark venues. Good on camera flash with fast AF is an absolute requirement. My D7000 with the SB-800 and 17-55/2.8 does this great. µ4/3 is a whole other deal. The difference in DSLR PDAF and µ4/3 CDAF results in µ4/3 flashes using flash light AF assist lights, as opposed to projecting a pattern of lines of the DSLR flashes. Very big difference in AF speed. Also, TTL flash with all the Olympus bodies, except the E-M1, has a noticeable delay between the pre-flash and when the shutter fires. It's so bad that I use an old SB-28 in Auto mode with the E-M5. I haven't shot a gig yet with the E-M1 so although it seems ok, I haven't confirmed it yet.

For receptions, the 12-40/2.8 is a near perfect lens. For everything else, a few fast primes would be the way to go. The Panasonic 35-100/2.8 would be handy, but Panasonic and Olympus zoom lenses zoom in opposite directions. After 2 years I'm still getting used to Olympus lenses zooming backwards from Nikon. On second thought, you might be better off with the two Panasonic 2.8 zooms.

Of, if you need high ISO available light performance, the Nikons are almost 2 stops better.

16. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Thanks for the advice, the more I think about it returning the epl5 seems pretty obvious. I also shoot a lot of night weddings but use the main photographers equipment (D800/D700 combo) and my personal work I shoot the D3s/D3 combo. I would start off with non paid events and portrait sessions with the E-M1 and the 12-40 would cover the bulk of what I need. The flash does concern me because I use it often, what Olympus flash would you recommend? I use SB-910 and Quantum Trio for weddings.

17. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Thanks for the advice, the more I think about it returning the epl5 seems pretty obvious. I also shoot a lot of night weddings but use the main photographers equipment (D800/D700 combo) and my personal work I shoot the D3s/D3 combo. I would start off with non paid events and portrait sessions with the E-M1 and the 12-40 would cover the bulk of what I need. The flash does concern me because I use it often, what Olympus flash would you recommend? I use SB-910 and Quantum Trio for weddings. The opposite zoom would drive me crazy too. I have mainly shot with the prime on the epl5.

18. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    Hi
    I own a GX1 and a FF frame D800, the m4/3 gives great quality images even enlarged to a fairly big size. I won't sell the D800 but I do find I use the GX1 more. I am actually thinking of buying a used EM-5 or a new EM-1 too.
    JohnyT

19. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    That's what I am starting to do and find myself going the m4/3 more and more. I won't give up on my trusty Nikon but each has it's own place.

20. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I am only a hobbyist, but I was a Canon shooter for years. I wanted something smaller and bought the smallest u4/3 camera I could find at the time, the E-PM1. I didn't like the controls and menus much, but I did like the size and was ok with the files. Then I bought a Panasonic G5 and all my Canon gear went on ebay. Much bigger than the E-PM1, but I liked to controls much more. I haven't been using flash, though, and hate to hear that flash performance lags dslr cameras so much. Oh well, with my PL25 and O45, maybe I can avoid needing a flash a while longer.

Oh, sorry for the rambling post. For your original question, the answer is yes.