1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Should I jump on a E-PL7?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SVENS1, Jul 2, 2016.

1. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Currently own a E-PL5, secretly wanted to upgrade to an E-PL7.
    Then also looking at the Pen-P5, a toss up between the two.
    I would have to buy used to fit into my budget. Noticed as of May, used Oly prices have jumped by at least $100 on ebay, sellers are getting it. Just got my Oly email yesterday with the sale on the USA E-PL7 brand new going for prices asked for used ones on ebay. Oly includes free shipping. Kind of debating on jumping on a brand new one now or waiting until the E-PL8 is released and see if the E-PL7 new or used drops even further.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Should I jump on an EPL 7 ? - absolutely not. You'll break it!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    For my needs, the shutter is to slow. I often use shutter speeds 1/8000 of a second.
    So I would have bought EP5.

4. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Well he just jump it, not sit on it or drop it :laugh1: hahahahaha

Suggesting to wait until EPL8 released. Oly, just like Fuji and Sony, always dump their previous camera with great discounts.

But if you want better built quality, get EP5. I think this is one of Olympus best build quality camera.

5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The E-PL7 is a great upgrade to the E-PL5 as a functional upgrade (better ergonomics, faster operation, better I.B.I.S.), but it won't make your images better, so if you're basically satisfied with how your E-PL5 works, the E-PL7 doesn't strike me as a worthwhile upgrade - though if not, it's already quite inexpensive and will soon turn into a bargain. The E-P5 has come down in price considerably and is the much more impressive camera - but again, IQ is virtually the same.

I'd go for an E-M10 (MkI) instead - that's a much more thorough upgrade to the E-PL5, and at least around here, it's getting really cheap. The E-PL7 is an E-M10 I without EVF and second command dial - two things I find very desirable. I like shooting the E-PL7 in many ways, it's compact, handles well (great grip!) and is very responsive, but it doesn't come close to the experience the E-M10 offers.

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I upgraded from an E-PL5 to an E-PL7 earlier this year when I got a great deal on a lightly-used E-PL7, and I couldn't be happier with the new camera. Some of the things I like about the E-PL7 compared to the E-PL5 include:
    • 3-axis IBIS is far more effective than the 2-axis IBIS in the E-PL5.
    • 0-second anti-shock to counteract shutter shock.
    • The control dial is around the shutter, where it is easy to use, not on the back as on the E-PL5 where it was more difficult to use and I was always accidentally rubbing it with my hand.
    • The menu button is moved away from the bottom right corner where I was also always accidentally pressing it.
    • The mode dial is stiffer, so it doesn't accidentally change to something silly like iAuto if it gets bumped putting it into a bag.
    • The LCD screen is a larger 3:2 aspect ratio and higher-resolution.
    • When using the touch focus feature, there is now a button to exit touch focus mode so I can use the buttons on the 4-way controller (e.g. exposure compensation).
    • Focus peaking is available when manually focusing (unfortunately, the only colour options are white and black).
    I was concerned the grip on the E-PL7 wouldn't be as good as the optional MCG-2 grip that I had on the E-PL5, and although it isn't quite as good, for my purposes it is good enough (and that's with the somewhat large/heavy 12-40 Pro zoom on the camera).

I'm guessing the E-PL8 will incorporate the guts of the E-M10ii, which means the only real improvement (other than the exterior styling) will be 5-axis IBIS. For my purposes, at least, that's not enough of a difference to pay the full price of a new E-PL8 vs the fire-sale price of the E-PL7. My next camera purchase will be in a year or two, and will be an E-M10iii or E-PL9 with a 20-megapixel sensor (plus 5-axis IBIS and other improvements that will make it a worthwhile upgrade). In the meantime, I am very happy with my E-PL7.

TL;DR: Get an E-PL7 while they last!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
  8. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    I have shot with the EPL-7 and the Olympus EM-10 and while both are very good cameras, between the two I prefer shooting with the EPL-7.
    The ergonomics of the camera fit my liking. I hate where the on/off switch is located on the EM-10 but I do love its EVF. The EPL-7 lacks the EVF but for most shooting I can use the tilting LCD screen to get the shots that I want to get. If I were to get the EM-10 again, it would be the newer EM-10ii which has made some nice changes.
    Anyway, I really like my EPL-7- if you search for the EPL-7 image thread here on the forums you can view images taken by myself and others.
    GR

9. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Currently have an E-PL6 and just ordered an E-PL7.

I thought the improvements were worth the upgrade, picked up on eBay for £250 second hand boxed kit with with the 14-42mm PZ pancake lens.

E-P5 was tempting but not many for sale in the UK, plus the E-PL7 has some advantages.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Looking at the same thing. From DPR ep5 suffers from worse shutter shock. That might be enough for me. Also epl7 has better ibis and I think it said better dust reduction?

Prices right now are very good

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    DPR did say that shutter shock had been effectively removed by the electronic first curtain (EFC or "0 sec anti-shock" in OLympus Menu speak) setting (p. 13 of the DPR E-P5 review). This setting is also available in the E-PL7. Shutter shock may not be completely fixed with EFC but , according to DPR, it ceases to be noticeable in images.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    arent EFC and o sec anti shock different?

At any rate dpr said even without anti shock, shutter shock was reduced on thepl7 more than the ep5

13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Nope, same thing.

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Does the epl7 provide any pf correction? This was a past weakness of Pens.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  15. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Everything I've read says it has CA correction, with the TruePic VII processor.

16. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Although the E-PL7 is better and more stylish than previous models, I'm not convinced the build quality is better.

The finish on the E-PL6 looks harder wearing and higher quality to me, also the screen is smaller but the mechanism seems more solid. Lastly it's much lighter, can really notice the difference.

I still have both models at the moment.

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I found the 3 axis IBIS in the EM-10 to be much better than the older 2 axis flavor. This IBIS is in the PL7 so that's a nice improvement.

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Both the E-PL7 and E-P5 would be improvements over the E-PL5. As would the original E-M10.

E-PL7 over E-PL5 for all the reasons Drdul listed:
    E-P5 for basically all that (with the firmware update) and:
    • Dual dials
    • Built in flash
    • Higher shutter speeds
    • Even better IBIS (though I never really noticed my E-P5 being better than my E-M10 mkI)
    • +++ others stuff (though again I never really found a good use for things like the 2 by 2 switch, sometimes you can have too many options)
    E-M10 over E-PL5, again everything from the E-PL7 plus:
    • Dual dials
    • Built in EVF
    • Built in flash
    • Great add on grip, easy on/off for options
    I went from the E-PM1 to GX1 to E-P5 + E-M1 to E-M10 + grip. I found the E-M10 a nice combination of the E-P5 and E-M1. Both the "higher end" bodies had many features I just never used and didn't need. So look closely at the features you need and use. The E-P5 is a great camera and the feel / handling are something a bit special, but you do pay for it.

Something else to consider, SLR or rangefinder, how much of a difference does it make to you?
    Since owning these I've moved on through SEVERAL other bodies/cameras, there was actually a Fuji X-M1 between the GX1 and E-P5/E-M1 as well. One thing I've determined at least for me. I prefer rangefinder bodies for how I use m4/3. So while I would have loved to drop the money on the Pen-F since I prefer many things about how Olympus bodies handle, I now have both a GX85 and GM5 since I also prefer having two bodies.

19. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Well, decided to get the E-M10 body, a used one came up came up fairly cheap. Will give it a try. So if I don't like it, should be able to get my money back out of it.

• Like Like x 3
  20. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks guys, the E-M10 was a wise decision. Love the two top adjustment dials, viewfinder is really nice. Menu system was a snap to navigate.
    Slapped the Oly 60mm f2.8 macro lens on it with the 3 axis ibis on, fantastic test pictures indoors. Was worth the upgrade from the E-PL5.

• Like Like x 2