Should I get the Sigma 19mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I went to Samys Camera yesterday and tried out the Sigma 19mm. All the complaints about the Sigma DN lenses seemed blown out of proportion. I found the build quality solid, I did not notice any lens rattle and the startup time wasn't slow at all (all on my E-M5). I found the lens to be very sharp, though exhibiting typical Sigma colors (leaning to the warm, yellow cast). It isn't very bulky and the AF was quite fast. For $150, it's a pretty good deal for a standard lens with good close focus abilities. I tried the Sigma 30mm and didn't like it all that much in comparison.

I currently have the 14/2.5 and 25/1.4. I could see using the 19mm as a nice 'tweener lens especially for daytime use. What do you guys think? Would it be too much overlap with my current kit? My other choice would be to get a cheap 14-42 kit zoom for daytime use. Though I'm quite partial to primes with M43 just to eek out maximum sharpness!
  2. SnapDuck

SnapDuck Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2012
    N. California
    Seems like the focal length for 19mm is too close to your other lenses. I would probably use the lenses you already have and step forward or back to frame my compositions.

I noticed in your signature that you don't own the 45mm f/1.8. The 45mm is one of the top m.4/3rds lenses and would be a nice complement to the lenses that you already have - I would save your money and get that lens.
  3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've owned 4 copies of that lens. I alway end up selling it. I don't know, for some reason I just don't like it very much! I have an adapted 50mm that I use and prefer.
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    $150 is a nice price, some muppet decided that equates to £150 over here ... grr.
    I'd like either of the Sigmas (19mm or 30mm) myself, but at a cheapo price.

I've only really heard good things about them.
  5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    This is one that only you can answer - you know your own shooting style.

I didn't get the Sigma 19 because I have the Panasonic 20. I did, however, pickup the Sigma 30 because it falls between the 20 and 45 (which I don't have yet).

Like the 30mm, the 19mm is quite a bargain at $150; I can't see losing much on taking the risk. Just my 2 cents, but given your stated preference of primes I would forgo using the zoom lens and acquire the 19mm.

6. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The only reason I have the 45-175 is because Pan/Oly haven't released a telephoto prime yet! If given the choice, I'd have a 150 2.8 instead!
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    That "'tweener" won't be 'tweening much, the dif in FOV is about a step back for the 25 and a step forward from the 14. Set that monies aside for the 75 or the 35-100.

8. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    I agree. Even though it's only $150 and it's a nice lens, you could apply that to a lens you really want later.
  9. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Blasphemer!!!! :eek:

Oh I each his own :wink:
  10. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I have that lens, and it's an over-performer for it's price.

Very decent for Street Photography.. and you won't worry about banging it up.
  11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm going to wait for Panasonic to release their 42.5 f1.2. There's not much difference between the 45mm and my adapted 50mm. Plus I can't stand the fake silver painted-finish. If it came in black I may reconsider! :tongue:
  12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Yep, I'm moving away from zooms and concentrating on using prime lenses.

I'm hoping that, the checkbook being what it is, that long :43: primes will be ready by the time I have the money to buy them.

That 45mm is, I think, next on the procurement list.

The guys are, of course, correct that the 19mm is a minor " 'tweener " considering lenses the OP already has, but at $150 it is "such a deal" :biggrin:. I don't have a lot of call for the 30mm, but it filled a minor niche and at the going price I just couldn't turn it down.

I'm so weak...:rofl:

13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Please see new thread re Sigma M43 lens @ £99.99 at Cameraworld
  14. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have the NEX version of the 19. Especially given the native E primes available, it seems like an over-achiever. Yeah, it rattles when not powered on, but overall I think the build quality is good. I appreciated how it came with a nice hood and pouch.

There is a lot of CA on mine, know this is exacerbated by the NEX-7 24mpx sensor, but have heard it is above average also on other sensors. The corners are so-so stopped down.... probably this situation is better when covering the m4/3 sensor. Overall, it seems sharp enough, but definitely not in the same league, even in the center, as my 12-35, 20mm or PL25 on m4/3.

All in all, I like having the lens for NEX, given what is available native, but I don't feel like I want to replace my 20/1.7 in m4/3.
  15. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    If you decide that you need a "tweener," the 19 would be a good choice. I have owned mine for several months and am totally satisfied with it. Currently, it is the lens that is on the camera most of the time.
  16. rolfen

rolfen Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2014
    Nobody mentioned the Sigma 60mm DN!
    It's even sharper. I would get it if I already had a normal prime.
  17. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    needless to mention haha... the 60 is the sharpness lens I've ever seen!!

and here's to the OP, I was in the similar situation when I acquired my copy of 19, when I knew about its "faults" like sharpness, CA, slow aperture. Yes, it's close in between your 14 and 25, but you don't buy it for what those two can do better. For me, I love the FOV, lightness, colour redering of the 19, I like the character created with my 19, buy it for that.

[​IMG]P2043483 by jyc860923, on Flickr