Should I get the EP2 or wait to see what the EP3 is like?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by harlz, Oct 31, 2010.

1. harlz

harlz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 19, 2010
    Syd, Australia
    Hi Everyone. Im a little torn in my decision. Iv got the epl1 but after using the ep2 and falling in love with the metal body and the scroll wheels I have to upgrade. Im wondering if the Ep3 will be just as good or better. I know there isnt much info on the ep3 yet but would it be worth waiting and not buy the ep2 at the moment?
  2. briandforever

briandforever Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2010
    you already have e-pl1, keep it for now, while wait for ep3

if there is any :)
  3. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Supposedly there will be a "pro spec" PEN coming out, probably next year but there haven't been any details. Though I'm sure that the body will go for well over $1000USD.
  4. astonandy

astonandy New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2010
    I think its safe to say the EP-3 will be better because most upgrades are. if you're happy with the EP-1 keep it and wait but if, like me, you really crave the EVF then upgrade. If you're like me, you'll quickly find it replaces most other equipment and becomes your "carry-it-everywhere" camera.
  5. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    IMHO keep E-PL1 and wait E-50 or E-650, and later P-3 or E-PL2 i know i will :)
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I would just add that the predicted e-P3 might lose a lot of the charm of the e-P1&2 due to more features altering the bodyshape and perhaps the construction materials.
    This would make the early Pens quite unique and desirable for the foreseeable future ... they're also going to get cheaper...
  7. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I agree completely!!!
  8. harlz

harlz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 19, 2010
    Syd, Australia
    Thanks everyone for your opinion. I already have the EVF for my epl1 and it is great. i agree with the comment that the new pens may not have the classic retro styling that the ep1/2 have. Thats what im drawn to. Once the price goes down for say, body only for the ep2 that might be well worth considering. Who knows when the ep3 or pro spec Pens will be released.
    I need scroll dials :) After playing with my fiance's Sony a33. I need the dials.

cheers all