Should I get Sigma 30mm if I already have 19mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Marine Paethor, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Marine Paethor

Marine Paethor Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    I'm trying to build up a bit of a kit for my new G5. I have the 14-42mm kit lens that came with it, and the Panasonic 45-150mm that came as part of the overall package. I picked up the Sigma 19mm f2.8 because I ran into a good deal on it. I am also thinking of buying the Sigma 30mm f2.8 as well, but I'm not sure if I actually need it with the lenses I already have. My thoughts in favor of adding the lens is that at f2.8, the Sigma is faster than the kit 14-42mm at 30mm, and that it might make a good choice as a portrait lens.

Does it seem like overkill to pick it up as well? I just don't want to add a lens that is just going to end up sitting in my bag. I know this question falls a bit into personal taste and preference, but I was just hoping for some feedback so that I can make a decision one way or the other.

2. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    The sigma is a very good lens with very good IQ and great value.

It is a very acceptable portrait lens that gives good skin tones and some subject isolation (DOF). It will certainly prove better at this than any of your current lenses.

Personally though, I would save up for the Oly45mm. It is faster, lighter and gives a little more 'reach'. In combo with your 19mm I would say the 45mm makes a better 2prime set.

30mm is a good lens though!