1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Should I get Sigma 30mm if I already have 19mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Marine Paethor, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Marine Paethor

Marine Paethor Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Oregon
    Donny
    I'm trying to build up a bit of a kit for my new G5. I have the 14-42mm kit lens that came with it, and the Panasonic 45-150mm that came as part of the overall package. I picked up the Sigma 19mm f2.8 because I ran into a good deal on it. I am also thinking of buying the Sigma 30mm f2.8 as well, but I'm not sure if I actually need it with the lenses I already have. My thoughts in favor of adding the lens is that at f2.8, the Sigma is faster than the kit 14-42mm at 30mm, and that it might make a good choice as a portrait lens.

Does it seem like overkill to pick it up as well? I just don't want to add a lens that is just going to end up sitting in my bag. I know this question falls a bit into personal taste and preference, but I was just hoping for some feedback so that I can make a decision one way or the other.

Thanks!

2. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    The sigma is a very good lens with very good IQ and great value.

It is a very acceptable portrait lens that gives good skin tones and some subject isolation (DOF). It will certainly prove better at this than any of your current lenses.

Personally though, I would save up for the Oly45mm. It is faster, lighter and gives a little more 'reach'. In combo with your 19mm I would say the 45mm makes a better 2prime set.

30mm is a good lens though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.