Should I get an OM adaptor?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jhob, Feb 26, 2010.

1. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I keep ruminating about getting an OM adaptor which I would use with my 50mm 1.8 from my OM20, but I'm not sure that I would really use it because it is rather long but am intrigued to try it out. What I would definitely use is a wide lens but that means finding a 14mm or wider MF lens which doesn't often happen and particularly not at a reasonable price. I suppose the 50 would make a nice portrait length, hmmmm....

Sorry, not really sure what my question is here! I have enough never-used photographic gadgets and bits and bobs lying around the house and don't want to add another one to that list! But at the same time do like playing around with MF lenses, and I do love the feel of the 50mm....

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I have to say that I bought one because of my two OM-1 lenses...but I haven't used it yet.:redface: Excuse number one - daughter has my 50mm 1.4 at college..and um my 24mm 2.8 is resting comfortably in its case. I keep meaning to use it but since I'm in the learning stages I've been sticking with the 20mm 1.7 and dreaming of a nice fast wide angle.:wink:

All that said, you and I are coming at this from very different angles. Too bad you couldn't borrow one to see if you'd like it. If I lived over there, I'd gladly lend you mine. I wonder sometimes if there are people on this site who don't realize how close by they might be to each other?

• Like Like x 2
  3. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    I don't have Oly but as you can see by my sig...... I've
    got plenty of manual focus lenses. Truth is that I never
    touch my Pany lenses. Not because they are not good...
    they are. I just enjoy the feel of manual focus again.

• Like Like x 2
  4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

the first adapted lens I tried for my G1 was a 50mm

Before trying it, I felt that the 50mm would be in the middle of nowhere not long enough to be a tele, not wide enough to be a normal

after having used my 50mm for a while I can honestly say "why didn't I try a 100mm f2 earlier on 35mm?"

its really good.

go grab the cheapest adaptor you can get on ebay and have a go at it.

This may also be helpful reading for you:
    http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/04/fd-lens-adapter-on-panasonic-g1.html

and

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/04/g1-adapters-and-infinity-focus.html

both are about FD adaptors, but as an OM user as well I can say that the information is pertinent no matter which lens series you use

my OM kit

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. ballfresno

ballfresno Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    West Sussex, UK
    I can wholeheartedly second this! I love the 50mm (Canon FD in my case) on the Panny. Yes, it's a little long for many types of photography but it's surprisingly useful in places I never thought it would, including street photography and the odd landscape or two! And it makes a fantastic portrait lens.

My current "always on the camera by default" lens is a 24mm f/2.8 manual focus lens.

• Like Like x 2
  6. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Hi jhob

I'm sure you'll enjoy using it. I got mine from here. This is a pic i took with the G1/Oly OM 50mm f1.8[​IMG]

John.

• Like Like x 4
  7. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks for the advice everyone, I might just bite the bullet and get an adaptor, they £25 from klythawk's link which isn't too bad. I'd said to myself if I found one for less than £20 I'd get it but £25 isn't too bad. I like doing little challenges with myself like that on ebay.

8. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Just ordered one!

9. hodad66

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    welcome back to manual focus......

10. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I am a big Oly Zuiko Manual lens fan and i love my lenses. I have the 75-150mm, 28mm & 35mm f2.8 and the superb 50mm f1.4. I love mine to death! Worth giving them a try at the very least.

11. Ben

Ben Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Apr 16, 2009
    London
    Yes.

Cheap - what is there to lose? I have the jinfinance (eBay) four thirds to micro four thirds and a few old mount to four thirds adaptors (including OM).

I'm using a Konica Hexanon 40mm F1.8, OM 24mm F2.8, OM 50mm F1.8 and OM 50mm F3.5 macro. All great and have that beautiful choppy bokeh that only well made manual lenses give you.

12. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Hi Ben

Looking for a Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 myself, how does the bokeh compare to an Olympus OM 50mm f1.8, see my pic above. Thanks.

John.

13. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

That's really distinctive bokeh,suits this picture especially well.

14. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I agree and love that photograph. I don't think it could have been done any better.

15. Ben

Ben Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Apr 16, 2009
    London
    The bokeh in yours is lovely. Reminds me of my Canon EF mount Zeiss 50mm - old school, painterly.

Here are a couple of uninteresting shots I took when I first got my Hexanon. Flora as well.....

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/benobryan/4401642397/" title="Grass! by Ben Oh, on Flickr">[​IMG]"375" height="500" alt="Grass!" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/benobryan/4401638817/" title="Ivy, Ivy by Ben Oh, on Flickr">[​IMG]"375" height="500" alt="Ivy, Ivy" /></a>

• Like Like x 2
  16. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Adaptor arrived today and I've been playing around with it tonight, lots of fun! The OM lenses have such a nice damped feel to them, I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this combo! Quite fancy a getting an OM macro lens too...

17. hodad66

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    So glad that you are enjoying it..... the old lenses do
    feel so good compared to the "Plastic Fantastic" ones... :)

18. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

aye, they are great. I'm looking forward to doing some proper photography with it soon.

I was also surprised that focussing was relatively straight-forward, I thought that the lack of a split prism would prove rather limiting.

19. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I did a band shoot yesterday and took along my GF-1 with the oly 50mm f1.8 on. Took a while to get used to focussing manually but it came after a while, I was shooting wide open which made it the more critical. Got a few that I was pleased with on it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you're interested you can view the whole shoot, most were shot on my fuji S5-pros, about a fifth were from the GF-1.

I've quite got my eye on an 50mm 1.4 now.... or even the 1.2, hmmmmmmm......

20. voyager

voyager   Charter Member

Dec 31, 2009