1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Should I get a speed booster ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chonbhoy, Sep 3, 2014.

1. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Hi I have quite a few Minolta lenses that i have an adapter for my EM1, we don't have a shortage of really good lenses for m43 but is it worth getting a speed booster to use with a 85mm f2 or 58mm f1.2? Apart from those really nice lenses i would love to have a fast telephoto but the only old telephotos i have are zooms, one of them has a fixed aperture of f2.8 and also goes to 210mm. Should i bother considering a speed booster for the zooms the longest goes to 210mm? The main reason i'm having a hard time deciding is because of the price of a metabones speed booster here in the UK is £350!:confused:

2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Some speed booster models have trouble fitting under the viewfinder housing of OM-Ds. Do make sure your camera is compatible with this speed booster model, first!

3. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I own a focal reducer; albeit a competitor product to Speedbooster. Part of the reasons I got it is to fill in the gaps in my lens lineup that was not either available in the M43 lens lineup or the cost is too prohibitive to even consider. I wanted an ultra-wide fast prime and a portrait super fast prime for those soft blurred bokeh background and since I have those lenses in full frame format (Nikon), the Mitakon Lens Turbo was a natural addition to my gear bag. Image quality is suprisingly good and maybe the Speedbooster is better? Who knows.
    A focal reducer provides a wider field of view, so if you need a longer focal length than what your 210mm zoom provides, then the Speedbooster is not for you. If you want a wider view and 1 fast stop of light, then the Speedbooster is for you.

Make sure the Speedbooster you are getting is compatible with your E-M1 since the viewfinder housing gets in the way of mounting the speedbooster.

4. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I don't understand how that can be the case. The only version i'm looking at is the MD-M43 Metabones Speed Booster.

5. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I'm aware of the focal reducing part which sounds good as I don't have or could afford any native 43/m43 lens that comes close to 300mm f2! The 58mm becomes a 41mm f0.85! Although the 85mm becomes a 60mm it's still excites me that it would be f1.4. I think i read somewhere that zooms don't perform as well as primes when using a speed booster, is this true?

6. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    Are you going to speed boost a 420mm f2.8? I didn't even know such a lens existed! Except, of course, the Sigma 200-500/2.8, which would of course become 140-350 f2. But that lens is a monster, and quite costly...

7. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Speed Boosting a 210mm by 0.71 gives you 150mm x2 crop factor gives you 300mm, I have a Sigma APO 210mm f2.8 + one extra stop reduces that to f2, am i right, it's been a while since the last time i looked into this so i could be wrong.

8. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    Ok, yep, you get 300mm equivalence, didn't think of that since I already have a bunch of actual 300-ish lenses, including a Nikon 500 f/4 which turns into 350/2.8 with the speed booster. Or 700/5.6 with speed booster and 2x converter.

9. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    =) Never thought of using a tele convertor, more food for though! i have a tele macro convertor but i've never used it !!! Not sure it is the same as a normal tele convertor though, something to try out soon.

10. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    You must really enjoy using those lenses with the bigger apertures and even after the focal reducers your image circle is sharper by 0.29 which must be good to know that what detrimental effect the TC does has less of an effect, pretty cool combination to get more out of your kit =)

11. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    If you have a bunch of lenses for the one mount that you enjoy using, then get a focal reducer. The increase in sharpness is the biggest win for me. The availability of wider focal lengths is also nice, as is the 1 stop of light, but the increase in MTF is just awesome. Get a cheap chinese focal reducer for the MD mount and see if you get a nice buzz using it. Then upgrade to the Metabones if you feel the need.

12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Since you already have the lenses then I say go for it! Just be careful with the 55mm F1.2 as the speedbooster does not really do much for lenses in the F1.4 and faster range. Read their lit. a bit more closely.

I have Nikon 50mm F1.2 and 85mm F1.4 and the speedbooster does not do much (besides focal reduction) for those lenses as far as speed, etc goes.

For the F2 and F2.8 lenses the improvements are well worth the price IMO. Good enough I'm almost tempted to go buy more legacy lenses ...