1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Should I exchange this lens? (40-150 PRO)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by daanh, Mar 30, 2015.

1. daanh

daanh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If you're looking for better sharpness, you may need to invest in some finer-tipped brushes. :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    There is some truth to this actually. It's hard to gauge sharpness when the subject itself isn't sharp to begin with. Try shooting still life like a flower or random items on your kitchen counter.

4. daanh

daanh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2010
    Okay, it may not be the best subject there is, but when I look at it real close, there is a lot of detail actually. I can see really small dots from the printing process, that I don't see in these pictures.

5. daanh

daanh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2010
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    my 40-150/2.8 is sharp at every focal length. I'm not one for shooting test targets, but this might be a case where a very carefully setup test on a tripod is in order. Shooting with different lenses sometimes requires different technique. You can eliminate that it is something you are doing versus a lens defect.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'd suggest you first get out and take some shots of real-world subjects before you go sending stuff back. Remember too that it's only macro lenses that are designed to give a flat focus plane (i.e for photographing paintings etc).

8. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Unless you were on a tripod, those are pretty marginal shutter speeds for the focal length, especially the one with the t/c. For those focal lengths and that heavy lens, I'd want to be at a minimum of 1/500, more if possible.

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Echo the comment on the tripod - a good, study one that's not over-extended, with the self-timer to fire the shutter. If you're going to test critical sharpness, you have to eliminate the other potential causes of lack of sharpness.