1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Should I dump the Oly 12mm now I've got the Oly 12-40mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mf100, Nov 29, 2013.

1. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    I've recently received my EM1 and 12-40mm and I'm very impressed with the results. The 12-40mm is proving to be wonderful and I'm now considering if I'm really in need of my O12mm and P20mm that cover the same range.

I think I'll stick with the P20mm due to it's low profile, light weight and of course it's aperture of f/1.7.

However, I'm really not sure why I'd keep the O12mm. It's a lot of money tied up in a lens that doesn't do much more than the 12-40mm @ 12mm. Added to that the silver lens doesn't match the black body! Selling the lens could help fund a different lens, but if so what?

Anyone else been having the same dilemma? I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Matthew

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, it's still a stop faster than the zoom - whether that matters depends on you really. Do you do lots of low-light or minimum DOF work where these things matter? If not, then let it go...

3. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I couldn't see holding on to both. I haven't used the 12mm but I have the 12-40, and the 12mm prime is no where on my radar. I'd rather use that money for something else (saving for the 40-150 2.8 or 42.5 1.2 perhaps). :)

4. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I sold mine when I got a Japanese Panasonic 12-35. Mainly though it's because of my shooting style, I rarely use wides.

5. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    The 12 is my current favorite lens. The fixed focal length makes it predictable for close quarter shots at social and celebratory events. The f stop has allowed me to not need a flash in doors or in the evening and not be tied up by a flash recycle time. Leaving the main variable being my composition and timing.

Also lower profile and more stealthy not to disrupt conversations or the event.

It would be very difficult for me to think about getting rid of this lens.

Using the word 'dump' makes me think you have already made up your mind. I don't think you truly are interested in others opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  6. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    Thanks for the response. I am interested in your opinions otherwise I would not have asked. You're reading too much into one sentence and applying your own paradigms to it.

It's a really good point you make about social or celebratory events; and upon reflection I'm not sure the 12-40 lends itself as well to being discrete, for example sitting around a restaurant table, it could be a bit too much in people's faces, which is where the O12 wins. Hmmm, lots to ponder.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    I like the 12mm focal length but usually need it for only a few shots and then back to a longer FL. Switching lenses became an issue for me in less than ideal weather conditions. The 12-35mm saved me from so many lens swaps and I found no need to keep the 12mm prime. The extra stop did not matter too much. Most of my wide shots either had plenty of light or were from a tripod. I typically used f2.8 or f4.0 more than f2 anyway.

Bottom line, unless you really like the tiny package of the 12mm, sell it and enjoy the high quality zoom.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes dump it by sending the lens well packed to me! I will give it a good home!:smile:

Seriously if you don't need the extra stop or the compact size then why keep overlapping lenses.

9. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I'd sell it and if you want a low profile discrete wide lens, buy the 14 2.5 for 1/5 of the price and spend the rest on something else. Do you need ultimate quality for the occasional low profile discrete use?

• Like Like x 1
  10. orchard county

orchard county Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    ireland
    Yes,get rid of that 12mm,I have a£100.00 here when your ready and I will even pay the postage( lol)
    Regards

• Like Like x 1
  11. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Let it go and put that toward another lens that you need. The Pany 35-100 is a great lens and you will be pretty set. Also, a faster prime might be a good addition. The 12 prime isn't that much faster than the zoom. Maybe the Pany 25 or the Oly 17 or 45.

12. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I don't even have the 12-35/12-40 and I still don't want the 12. It's a one-trick pony as far as I'm concerned: low-light + wide. You can get the 12-32 or 12-50 for the FL and the 14/2.5 for the wide/low-light shots. Or if you have the 12-40 already, IMO it's totally redundant. Just kick up the ISO a notch in low light. Now, yes, the 12/2 is still the best 12mm lens as far as both sharpness and speed, but still.

Or, come to think of it, is it? I'd like to see the 12 vs the 12-35 or 12-40. Hmm

13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I avoided the 12/2 not because it is a bad lens, but it is a good yet expensive lens that I wouldn't always use.

A zoom for the wide focal lengths is more versatile.

• Like Like x 1
  14. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I received my 12mm yesterday and am wondering if I should've just gone for the 12-40mm instead. I can see its appeal for low-light and close work, but for landscapes (the reason I bought it) it's actually less sharp in the center stopped down to f/5.6 than the kit 14-42mm lens.

15. qbkami

qbkami New to Mu-43

Nov 7, 2013
    Australia
    Quang Bui
    I had a similar dilemma just a few days ago, I have the EM1 with the 12-40mm and was thinking about getting the 12mm though I changed my mind since Ive already covered the focal length in the 12-40 and it does a decent job. I've now invested in the 75mm 1.8 , and I am loving it! :) covered most focal lengths now and a happy chappy.

16. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    I had the 12mm and then bought the Pan 12-35. Once I tried the 12-35, I sold the 12 as redundant. I do miss the small size but don't think the difference between 2 and 2.8 is needed very often. I typically shoot landscapes stopped down a little 4-5.6 if possible.

I would have kept the 12 for sure if money was no object but given its value, I would rather have something else in the system instead of the 12 (given that I have the 12-35). I ended up getting the 75mm after selling the 12 and it was a good use of the funds.

17. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    I own the 12mm and indeed the majority of my lenses are primes. I own only 4 zooms for the systems I use. A Canon 100-400, a Panny 7-14 and 100-300 and a very cheap Oly 14-42 mark 1 kit lens which I didn't use it after the first few months. I think it depends on your shooting style. Also I think primes give better quality and without a protruding barrel it is less invasive. However a major issue is truly versatility. I always bring 5 to 6 lenses with me but I can hardly use them all. And changing lenses without scratching the gems are sometimes troublesome. Sometimes I try to predict the focal lengths that I am going to use, then use legacy glasses to fill up the missing focal lengths.
    Say a 12mm, a Panny 20 or OM 21mm F2 and an Oly 75. Then a tele probably. While doing so, your legs are your best zooming tool to fill up the ranges zoom lenses bring you.
    I haven't truly use the 12mm to its maximum potential, yet I wouldn't want to let it go, compact and large aperture, is pretty much like the Oly OM 21m F2.

18. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    This has turned into a fairly generic primes vs zooms discussion. You shouldn't listen to any of it, including my advice. Several here are dissing the 12 for being an expensive one trick pony - that's what great prime lenses ARE! And extolling the versatility of zooms - that's what zooms ARE. Which you prefer shooting with is totally on YOU - all of these discussions of practicality vs specialization have nothing to do with how YOU like to shoot. And that's the ONLY question.

I personally prefer primes for the overwhelming percentage of my shooting and I'm a wide angle shooter. I've had the 12 since it was released and it's my most used m43 lens ever, by FAR. I'll buy and sell 20 different zoom lenses but as long as I'm m43, I'll have that awesome little 12mm. I keep a zoom or two around for certain types of shooting where nothing else will do, but if I use them 5% of the time it's a lot.

And that shouldn't have any more influence over what YOU do than the advice from all of the zoom proponents. There's no right answer here except yours. So, how do you like to shoot? What will you reach for after the "new lens smell" has worn off? I know the answer for me. Others here clearly know the answer for them. I'd say you should keep both until you know the answer for yourself...

-Ray

• Like Like x 4
  19. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I recommend getting both the 12-40mm and 12mm. Then you can post ad nauseum about your conflicts. With the inevitable internal conflict created, you can then move on to the Fuji 14mm and ruminate about the 14mm and incoming 10-24mm lens. I personally find multi-system wide-angle self-created drama much more satisfying.

20. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    I was raised shooting primes. Then, when I switched to digital from MF and LF shooting a few years ago, I got all zooms, because they worked so well. So this past summer, I went on a photo workshop to the Big Bend and the instructor convinced me to rent an Olympus 12mm f/2 prime... and I thought the same way as some of the others here - - an expensive 1-trick pony! ...and that from someone raised on primes! I went through the images from several other workshops and looked at the recorded FL on the EXIF data and never really saw much shot at 12mm or there about...

So I rented that lens and shot it for 2 weeks - - and it was amazing! It was probably my single most used lens. I have 2 zooms that cover that basic range and yet this lens was always on the camera. I took to keeping this lens on one body and switching zoom lenses on the other body.

I think that Ray really hit the nail on the head... it really matters how you shoot and how that particular lens fits into your vision, the style of your shooting, your subjects, etc. There is no right answer - - there is only your answer. I was sad the day I packed it up and sent it back to the rental company. It was really nice to shoot that lens and the images I got over those 2 weeks were great. And I may even sell off some other stuff in order to purchase one... but that was a realization I could come to only by shooting it, in spite of shooting zooms that cover that range. You already have that lens... do you still reach for it?