1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Should I do it? G3

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by MrDoug, Sep 17, 2011.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I am old dSLR guy and sold it all for M43 lines. .. I now have EP3 and EPL3 and am curious about Panny G3.. read a lot about it.. no IBIS is a big factor why I don't have the G3 .. is it that big of a deal vs IBIS in Oly cams? I like some things about G3.. EVF, built in flash and articulating LCD..It kinda looks humpy and ugly compared to OLY.. give me your opinions..
    Doug

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It sounds like the G3 is a great camera, but since you already have a E-P3, could hold out a bit for the upcoming GF-7/Pro. I am looking forward to that body...

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It doesn't really sound like the G3 has anything your E-P3 and E-PL3 doesn't offer. Your E-P3 already has a built-in flash (a better one, as the E-P3's flash works as a Remote Flash Commander for wireless TTL), and your E-PL3 has a tilt screen while the E-P3 has a much more vibrant OLED screen so you don't have to tilt it. So why not just pay a couple hundred bucks to get a VF-2 or VF-3 viewfinder instead? The VF-2 at least is every bit as good as the G3's EVF and even better as the VF-2 operates at variable angles, plus it's removable for compact storage. Then you'd have everything you're missing from the G3, but in the sleek form of the E-P3 and E-PL3 you like. Plus it'll add that capability to BOTH your existing cameras.

I'm sure you could pick up a VF-2 for a lot cheaper than a G3. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    The articulated screen is great for tripod work (I use the GH2, which is more or less the same in this respect) and the sensor is a little better (if you shoot RAW), but other than that, I'd go with Ned's suggestion of a VF-2 to use with your EP(L)3 :smile:

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I agree with Ned. The G3 may offer slightly better IQ at high ISO. Other than that, I'd pick up VF2.

6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    G3 offers noticeably better image quality at higher ISOs, but the camera itself, in my opinion, is meh.

7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    On the other hand, if you are just overcome with GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) like I often am, then go for the G3! Or better yet, expand your horizons, branch out, and buy a NEX7 + Zeiss 24!!

8. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    If you're "curious about it" and can afford one... I'd say just pick one up. Over time you'll sort out your camera gear preferences. And you can sell any m4/3 gear you've acquired and decide you don't wish to keep, with relatively little loss. You can agonize over the possibilities and spend countless hours on a forum trying to figure it all out. Or just buy one and decide for yourself, first hand. That's the best way!

If you're "strapped for cash" then I doubt you'd be asking the question anyway.

The G3 is an amazing and wonderful camera. And great looking, in my view. (As if looks were what really matters in camera selection.) Only you can determine what floats your boat, photographically speaking. Get a G3, if you can afford it, and then just sell whatever loses out in the long run. No big deal any way you slice it, as I see it... if you've got some available funds to sort it all out.

If you buy cameras mostly based on their visual appearance, then what they can provide to you photographically is probably not so important.

9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I would argue viewing angles is not a reason to have an articulating screen. There are other benefits in overhead/hip/odd angle shooting which come in to play.

It's value is of course subjective. I don't think I'd NEED it, but it sure has come in handy at times, heh.

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    x2 - well, maybe "meh" is a bit strong, but it doesn't have the emotional impact on me that my GF1 does

11. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I have the G3 and find the IQ very nice, the articulating screen helpful, I don't worry about losing the EVF, and it's very compact and easy to carry.

I don't really need IBIS, so it's a non-issue.

I also have the EP2 and use it in tandem with the G3.

12. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    See if you can try a G3 in person, and then decide how you feel about the camera. Combine this with what you shoot and how you shoot and see if the G3 adds value.

Overall, I feel it's a more versatile camera than those you have, and better value too 9an EP3 +VF is pricey). But this may not be so for your style or needs.

If your current cameras work for you, then sure, add an external VF. Keep in mind how long you keep cameras - the external VFs are pricey and are yet another item to be sold.

Most of all think of your output, of the photography, and work back to getting the best camera fro what you do.

Unless of course your love of gear is just too much. if so, just get one.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Lol, but the strength of that word lies in it being such a weak statement. :rofl:

14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Lets face it, Panasonic doesn't emote the same emotional response like Olympus. If the next generation of PENs had the G3's sensor, pop-up flash, articulating touch screen and hi-res EVF for $599 USD, it'd be the greatest thing ever! Just switch out the Lumix logo with Olympus and it'd be the hottest selling m43 camera! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I don't think it's the brand as much as the form factor. Many people like the RF-style because it's more compact, which takes better advantage of m43's smaller sensor and lenses than the DLSR-shaped bodies. Panasonic, unfortunately, has fallen behind in that style, even though they obviously lead (being the only player!) in the 'DSLR-shaped group.

IMO if you put the G3 sensor in a PEN body THAT would be the cat's meow!

16. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    It's not even the form-factor. The G2 was not fashionable either, but it's miles better than G3 in all aspects except image quality. When I use G2, it's like an extension of me; but G3 really gets in the way of taking pictures (at least for me, YMMV).

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is exactly why Micro Four-Thirds wasn't a big hit until Olympus introduced the E-P1 Digital PEN. Panasonic started making the G1 first, but it never really "caught on". When people started to see the potential of the system through the compact PEN series, that's when the Panasonic cameras started becoming more popular and even their DSLR-style Micro Four-Thirds cameras started being seen as a viable alternative to move to the system without losing too much of the DSLR advantages.

I never considered Micro Four-Thirds either when it was just Panasonic. Once I heard the news of the E-P1 being released, I thought, "OMG, that's exactly what I need!". Especially when I saw its size in relation to the Panasonic LX3 and Canon G11 (or whichever models were out at the time).

18. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I don't have a G2, but I had a G1 and I think I know exactly what you mean. The G1 is a perfect size; easy to grip, easy to manipulate, yet light enough to carry without noticing you're carrying anything. The G3, on the other hand, seems to have been miniaturized just for the sake of miniaturization; it's still not small enough to slip in a pocket, but the small size definitely makes it more difficult to manipulate compared to the G1. Don't get me wrong, I love my G3 for what it does well and better than the G1: its IQ, snappy AF, movie mode, touch-screen focus, etc. But IMO it would be a better camera if it were the same size as the G1, and I'd actually use it MORE not less. Because . . .

. . . when size is critical I'm not going to use a DLSR-shaped camera anyway if I have other choices. These are the times when I definitely prefer the small size of the RF-style, which I literally slip in my pocket when coupled with a small pancake lens. And given the adage that "the best camera is the one you have with you", that extra portability makes a difference in how often it's used.

I think many people have come to the same conclusion. The G1/G2/GH2/G3 is a great camera, but the m43 advantage is somewhat muted because of its form-factor. For some the size/weight advantage vs. a real APS-C sized DLSR just doesn't justify the loss in IQ (undeniable), and I completely understand that position. I also understand that for others who carry a full 'kit', the small size advantage accumulates with every lens and m43 may indeed offer a very significant size/weight advantage that makes it worth it.

19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    What if Panasonic went with classic SLR styling, with the same Olympus modern retro design? :smile: :wink:

Somebody actually confused my G3 as a film camera the other day. I took that as a compliment! :tongue:

Nikon FM2 (Courtesy Wikipedia):
    Nikon_FM2_black.

20. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    That would be awesome!