Should I buy Oly 14-150mm or hold off...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Imjinman, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Imjinman

Imjinman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2011
    I am going to buy the EP3 and want to get the 14-150mm lens as a travel lens. But are Olympus likely to upgrade it to a MkII style lens in the near future? Any news? And is it likely to be a big difference in quality or autofocus speed?

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The AF speed is already quite good with the new cameras and the quality is also very good for a super zoom. I'm not aware of any planned improvements, but I doubt they could make it much better given the limits inherent to the format. If you have a trip coming up that you want it for, I'd get it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I think the 14-150 Oly one of the bargains of the M4/3 world. It's already an MSC lens, and I find that focuses as quickly as the 14-42 MSC kit lens. Perhaps Panny will introduce a collapsing, motorized X-version of their legendary 14-140 one day ;-)
  4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I bght it and never regretted it. It's a bargain for what it does and delivers.

For travel it's ideal. 14-150 and 20mm and you travel easy - light and cover all your needs.
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The MSC lenses have the same perormance as the R series lenses. The R lenses are mostly just updated cosmetically, and they come with newer firmware which enables faster lens-to-body communcation to let it keep up with the fast dual processors of the EP3. If it is needed, that firmware update should be available for the MSC lenses to offer the same AF performance. There are no firmware updates for some MSC lenses, but I believe that's because they don't need them (though I could be wrong). The hardwareis already in the newest technological state.
  6. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    My lightest option is EP2 + 20mm only
    For my next hike i plan to bring my EP2 +12mm+20mm+45mm

But as Elandel, when i want a flexible set up, AF good enough for my kid, i bring the EP2 with 14-150mm , and i have the 20mm in my bag/pocket.

The AF of the 14-150 is good enough , the kit lens was a nightmare with a kid.

Bought 300€ refurbished on Olympusmarket /ebay :thumbup:
  7. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I agree with the rest, it's a great lens and performs far better than it should. It's not that old either so I very much doubt there will be any upgrades any time soon.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    A superzoom would certainly be the best implementation for that collapsible X series design, and Panny did make the first really successful superzoom for our system (between 4/3 and m4/3).
  9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I also bought it used in mint condition for 280 euro and think they were very well spent.
    Took some great shots this weekend with this lens and Epl2.
  10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Forgot to mention its very good for videos
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    What Ray said. I bought mine over a year ago (about 14 months), and while I'm an addicted gear trader, I've never once considered selling it. I think (hope!) they have more important lenses to re-do than this one (a better/faster 17mm, a fast 50mm macro both come to mind. Maybe even a fast 100mm)
  12. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    This lens was the reason for me to choosing the system. I suppose lens of such quality on APS-C should be too bulky/expensive to make, just because there is no anything even close in terms of IQ on other systems. Thats's why people saying superzoom lens are lame. Yes they are.. except for the one. I think its a must have for the traveller... Fast and reliable focusing, sharp at both ends. Almost perfect. Almost because its slow (4.0) but you can't have anything...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I'm not even in the market for a superzoom... but all of this talk has me thinking about the 14-150, especially if I could land one at a good price. Panny's 14-140 is a good lens... but bigger and much more expensive.
  15. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    What would be good price for this lens?

I already have the 14mm, 20mm, 45mm (waiting), 14-42 Original and 40-150mm in this focal length. :)

Plus the 9-18mm. I think getting the 14-150mm might be too much for me. :p

I'll pick it up if i do find a really good price. As much as I love fast primes, I am not fan of changing lens often.
  16. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011

I'm really considering buying either the Lumix 14-140 or the Oly 14-150 as my only zoom lens, the rest of my gear buying prime lenses. However, I got a couple questions:

1. Is the image quality of these two lenses similar/equal to the 14-42 II Olympus kit lens?
    2. Is the build quality of the Oly 14-150 better than the 14-42 kit lens? It just feels so cheap, and rattels pretty often, is that improved with this lens?
    3. Do you think that there will be a faster superzoom for M4/3 in a short amount of time? I don't want to buy know and then being faced with a better lens in a couple months.

Thanks in advance
  17. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Go for it. It is a fine lens and you will be happy to have it for travelling ... if you wait for the next virgin, excuse me version you'll never have a lens at all. Don't put of 'till tomorrow what you can accomplish today!
  18. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Oly 14-150mm is the only zoom I have and need. I won't hesitate to recommend it to anyone including Panny (non-video) shooters. I am an Oly user but I don't use IBIS with this lens cause it's outdoors only lens for me. I usually always get sufficient shutter speeds in daylight with this lens.
    I have no problem with its sharpness (most of the frame) wide open at all focal length with good shutter speeds. The only thing is that Oly 14-150mm color and contrast is not quite like Panny primes or Oly 45mm (just doens't pop as strong even after some PP).

I can also recommend Marumi Achromat 200 (+5 diopter) 58mm close-up lens which works so great with this zoom. You'll get better than 1:1 magnification at the long end. and it'll be very sharp (usually lenses have better sharpness at closer distances).

The only reason to wait for a bright zoom, IMO, is if you do a lot of sports photography. Otherwise, this possible future bright zoom is likely to start from f2.8 at wider end which not only is not so great in low light (for m43 sensors) but will still have limited DoF control (again, m43 crop factor), that what we have those excellent primes for. Not to mention such zoom will be far heavier and more expensive.
  19. Imjinman

Imjinman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2011
    Thanks all for your help. sounds like the 14-150mm is the way to go- now also time to get a 45mm and somehow get rid of the kit lens (why can't they sell just the body?).
  20. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Well I have a question: I'm a Panny shooter, should I buy the Oly 14-150mm or the Panny 14-140mm??
    I'm not really into video, but since I bought the GH2, I'm considering shooting the occasional video, so which lens will be better on my Panasonic bodies?