1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

should I buy a New camera, lens or wait?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by KVG, Jan 27, 2012.

1. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    So I'm thinking of replacing the GF1 and Getting a GX1 or EP3, or should I keep the GF1 and get a 25/1.4? I would like better high ISO for low light and I am tempted to get a oly cam as I just have primes and IBS might be nice. What do you think? Or should I wait and see what the OM-D will be like?

2. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    wait for OM-D.
    Im pretty sure EP3 price will go down when OM-D is release..

3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd like to wait and see what the poll brings KVG because I'm in the same situation. I feel as if I'm being a bit greedy if i buy the GX1 because I've only had my GF1 for 3 years.

4. My recent experience with a GF1 was a bit disappointing, so I'd vote to wait to see what the OM-D is like for reference, and then get a GX1 or E-P3 if you can get a good deal on either.

5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Mines still under it's 1 yr wartranty, lol

6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    If the om-d looks anything like this, hell no!!!!

olympus-om-d-micro-four-thirds-camera-spring-0-580x307.

EP4_PEN_concepto.

7. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    wait to see OMD!

I know how you feel as I also can't wait to purchase a 2nd body (probably Olympus) for my m43 system.

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Heh, current tally is 11 to wait for OM-D, 0s everywhere else.

9. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    With the OM-D so close you just have to wait, don't you?

10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    yup.:2thumbs:

11. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Personally, I don't get too worked up on the prices going down - even the E-PL2 is now priced just $100 off months after the release of the new PENs. So if OM-D comes out, I suppose a $50 price decrease? I have not watched the prices immediately after release of a new model. Anyone did?

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    A wise fellow once said to me, "Photography isn't about the gear, but the ability to capture a moment"

Serious, if you don't already have a 20/1.7, get the 24/1.4 as it will stave off your, "I need a new camera" bug until the GX1 has dropped in price. Panasonic deeply discounts bodies less than a year after launch.

13. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I have the 14/20/45 and I like the gf1 but the auto white balance is killing me lately. Thats my biggest gripe. high Iso and Ibs would be nice but I try to keep under ISO 400 anyways

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There's no better AWB system in the market right now than the latest generation PEN cameras (E-P3, E-PL3, and E-PM1). And they all perform very well at high ISO too, much better than your GF-1.

The GX-1 will give you much better high-ISO performance than the GF-1 but not much different from the new generation PENs (high resolution sensor vs high resolution capture from weak AA filter - both can retain good detail). However, only the new PEN cameras will give you that kick-arse AWB system. I doubt the GX-1 would be that far off from your GF-1 in that area.

I think lenses are more important than bodies, but you have a pretty darn good trio already. I don't think the Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux will add that much more to what you have. I'd go with a new generation PEN or wait to see what the OM-D is like if it suits you or not.

15. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    You could shoot RAW or get a grey card or white balance lens cap. After seeing how quickly Panasonic bodies depreciate, I'll only buy a Panasonic months after release unless it has a must-have feature, ie, great video of the GH2.

16. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You should wait for the OMD. If it turns out to be gold, I hope they rename it the OMG!

17. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Shoot Raw. Problem solved

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't think that's a real solution. :) RAW workflow is completely different process, and may not be something he wants to undertake. Maybe he wants to reduce his work rather than increasing it. xD

Of course, changing to a RAW workflow may be the CHEAPEST solution, unless he needs to upgrade software to allow it - then it may become more costly than a new body, depending on what kind of software he relies on. :biggrin:

19. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    So have you tried the 25 1.4 with your GF1? If not I'll let you borrow mine for a week if you want to see what it's capable of on your current body.

20. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I have alot of PP software, but I try to get it right the first time and I suck with computers. Grinch thanks man I might take you up on that if the omd isn't spectacular. I love the 20 and will keep it, but the af is a little slow I have found lately. Is the af on the 20 any faster on the newer bodies?