Should I buy a G3?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Farcanalman, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012
    I have been wondering about getting the VF-2 or 3 for my E-PL1 and a research collegue has just offered me his Pana G3 in base kit format(charger cradle, battery, strap and 14-42 lens) for only £300!

Should I buy it and thus overcome my need for a viewfinder and at the same time have a second body to use all my various legacy lenses on?

Or am I just turning into a :43: gear-tart?

• Like Like x 1
  2. chromatin64

chromatin64 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    A Leekist in York, UK
    You seem to think that the two are mutually exclusive...:wink:

PS (IMHO) Buy it. That's a good price and you know its provenance.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have an E-P3 with a VF2 and a G2 and to be blunt I find the EVF on the G2 to be superior to the VF2. Part of it is that the integrated EVF is a less clumsy on the camera and I find the rotating LCD to be more useful than the flip up VF2. in addition, the G2 (and I assue the G3 as well) is more convenient to use with legacy glass in that the thumbwheel is used to control the manual focus assist. Then there is the better sensor of the G3, faster AF and IMHO better control layout. Of course everyone is different but if it were me I'd grab the G3 over the VF2.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012
    Thank for the informative, Pana-user perspective!

I will go see the man tomorrow and inform him of my over-bearing lust for his G3!

Andreas the :43: tart
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    With the G3, not only do you get the better EVF, but you get a newer sensor with better DR and lower noise, especially at high ISO. So yes, I think you should by the G3.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012
    Damn it!

I don't believe my luck... the guy has gone to the western Carribean and left the G3 in the safe in his office.

No G3 for me till after 23rd May!

Oh well, at least I have it once he is back and then I can play with 2 quite different m4/3 bodies and all my legacy glass!

7. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    I think you will be very happy with the G3... but the anticipation will do you in LOL! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012
    Oh yeah!

Oh you know it... I was so full of the joys of spring till I got to work and realised I missed him by a day.

In fact, not even that, whilst I was finding out, he was actually in Heathrow airport waiting to fly out!

He e-mailed me earlier and said it was an over-sight that he forgot to leave it with our boss!

It will be all the sweeter when I get it though.

9. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I am still having handling issues with the my G3. Perhaps down in part to my battered builder hands, but i still have it and wont sell it.
    Its the quality of the images it produces that keep me holding on to it.
    Usually over exposes for my taste , so compensate quite a bit.
    You WILL love the viewfinder when used with MF optics ! And AF glass too.
    Not a big fan of the 14-42 though. Not wide open at the long end anyway. So mostly attached are the 14 and 20 primes.
    I mean you cant argue with the chicken image here
    Nice cameras deserve nice lenses.
    You will love the G3 :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012
    I feel through similar hands!

I have battered hands with short sausage-like fingers, first from military service and then as a shuttering carpenter for an interim period!

I know the pain of mobile-phone dyslexia and ham-fisted typing!

I am not much better with my E-PL1, but damn it that G3 is calling my name!

11. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    You were a shuttering carpenter ! Respect, lol So like me you can hit the top of your hand with a hammer and carry on like it was a flea bite !
    At least i know i'm not alone :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012
    Summat like that!

I think the worst was due to over-swing and a glancing blow on a ground-bolt collar... hit my own f@c&in' knee!

Never happened again I can tell you!

13. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    Ah Work related injuries. We should start a thread on that.
    Back to the G3. Some say its a little plasticcy . But i reckon its a well screwed together tough lal sob. Dropped mine from waist hight on to the carpet !
    As it was going down i recall Thinking "Thank god for carpets" . Then it bounced back up and hit the underside of the radiator :rofl:
    NO damage.
    AND The pop up flash is a better fit and finish, and action than my Canon 7D was.
    IMHO, The G3 is a well built camera.
    I do get a little mift at accidently changing iso & wb now and again. and i have disabled the movie button. With a bit of luck, future firmware will allow it to become AE lock or summut :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012
    Aquestion about the EVF...

In advance of me getting this G3 I have a question concerning the diopter adjustment of the EVF.

Namely; To save me ages searching through the manual, what is the quickest/easiest way to adjust the diopter value of the EVF?

I have a slight long-sightedness of about +1.5 diopter, so I will need to make that correction setting asap so as to get the most accurate focal control straight away!

And does this setting stay or do I have to mess with it every time I turn the camera on?

Andreas the possibly stupid question asker.

15. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I just picked up a G3 this week (with the 25 1.4). I love it so far. It is a very versatile, well-built camera and the IQ is excellent. My only disappointment is that the battery life truly sucks.
  16. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Battery life isn't the best, but one battery saving tip is to turn off "Quick AF" in the REC menu, as that causes the camera to essentially continue autofocus even when you don't press the shutter; it basically prefocuses in order to be ready for when you want to shoot. This wastes a lot of battery power. Likewise, you can set it to sleep quickly; I don't mind it since the cam wakes up from sleep almost instantly.
  17. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    There's a diopter adjustment just to the left of the EVF, and it stays :wink:
  18. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

The diopter adjustment is mechanical via a wheel mounted vertically on the left of the eyepiece. You slide it up and down to adjust. Once set, it should stay adjusted forever but I did accidentally knock it out of adjustment once.

You can see it in this image from DPReview:
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    G3, fabulous 'little' camera.

Before buying make sure you are happy with the manual switching from EVF and the LCD.

It was this that eventually made me sell mine, in favour of a GH2, it used to drive me mad :rofl:

Edit: Also make sure that you can live with the 'very' small thumb wheel, another feature that drove me mad :rofl:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. AnttiV

AnttiV Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2012
    I received mine today, just a few hours ago. My first reaction (coming from Sigma DSLR) was "ohmygoddess that this thing is TINY!" :) The whole kit weights about half of the DSLR's body... and would easily fit inside it :D
    • Like Like x 1