1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Should I bother

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dcisive, Apr 10, 2010.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I've been reading a lot lately about the performance superiority of the GF-1 over the Oly PL1. I happen to have a PL1 but want the least limitations overall in performance. Would I be wasting my time to get a GF-1 to try out against my PL1 just to see what it's all about. I do like the idea of RAW processing, and this isn't a strong suit of the Oly. Just curious to hear from those that may have worked with both and hear their opinions.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    hold on there big fella...I beg to differ...
    What do you mean the oly raw is not a strong suit.....?

I have the Pen 1 & 2 and only do raw...the files are great with much latitude.....
    please explain.......

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi dcisive, shoot more read less... you'll be much better off. :wink:

Cheers

Brian

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thread moved to This or That.

As for your comment about Oly RAW, I'm not sure where you are coming from. E-PL1 RAW files are nearly identical to GF1 RAW files if you open them side by side in the same RAW processing application. Regarding performance, the only way to know is to try it yourself. You've already done some trying, returning, and trying again. If that process isn't too much trouble and you're curious, then there's nothing wrong with trying out a GF1. You may like it better. Just don't do it for better RAW files, because those two cameras use the same sensor.

5. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    well the viewfinder on the PL1 is winning me over quickly frankly. I haven't shot much in the way of ORF so I'd better get out today and do that. I have a copy of Studio to work with so I'll give it a try. I think since I have that VF I'll try out my ND and CP filters as well and see how they do. I wasn't particularly concerned about focus speed as the PL1 is certainly accurate enough. I'll have to play some more and like Brian said read less :tongue: