Should i be disappointed with the 45mm F1.2

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
I bought the 45mm F1.2 thinking it would be better than my 45mm F1.8. I found it worse at F1.8 and only got good around f2.8. My 75mm runs rings around it. Granted the bokeh is beautiful at close distance , but was it worth the investment?
These images below are quick snaps for comparison.

Let me know your thoughts

45proF1.2.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

45mm Pro@ F1.2
45F1.8.JPG

Standard 45mm@ F1.8
45ProF1.8.JPG

45mm Pro @F1.8
75mmF1.8.JPG

75mm@ F1.8
40-150F2.8.JPG

40-150 Pro @F2.8

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Owning the 45 F/1.8, the 45 F/1.2 Pro, the Panny 42.5 F/1.7, and the 75 F/1.8, I would say no.

The Oly 45 F/1.8 is at larger apertures not very sharp at edges and corners, roll-off is soso, and the Panny is just better in both regards. The 45 Pro is IMO in a league of its own, sharp corner to corne at any aperture, and fantastic roll-off both in front and behind the plane of focus. The 75 is also in a class of its own, but serves a different purpose. This is valid for the specimens I own, and I can't say much about the Oly 40-150 Pro, as I do not own it.

The only lens I know off that beats the 45 Pro in the same class of lens, is the Canon RF 85 F/1.2L, which I happen to own as well. I'd say the Oly 45 Pro is in-between the EF 85 F/1.2L II, which I owned in the past, and the RF 85 F/1.2L when it comes to IQ, for me anyway.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
I was just wondering if I got a bad copy or is it normal the the 45mm f1.8 is sharper at f1.8?

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
No, that is not normal, IMO. Did you compare corners as well?
Are you sure the 45 Pro focuses correctly?
I did not compare corners as I will be using it primarily for portraits. The center is what concerns me as I took multiple shots in manual with focus peaking and magnification on. Unless I have an extraordinary 45mm f1.8?

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I did not compare corners as I will be using it primarily for portraits. The center is what concerns me as I took multiple shots in manual with focus peaking and magnification on. Unless I have an extraordinary 45mm f1.8?
What was your shutter speed on the 45mm f1.2? Did you have IS on or off?

If you are concerned about your 45mm f1.2, compare it, at the same aperture on the same subject with your 1.8 lens. Use a tripod. Switch IS off. Manual focus using peaking on the same spot. Then try autofocus. Then try a shot wide open and another stopped down to say f2.8 or 3.5. I think you can then make a judgement call as to whether your 45mm f1.2 can be sharp enough in the centre, and take it from there.

I have what I consider to be a good copy. If you want some RAW images to compare, specify a camera to subject distance and aperture and I'll upload some to dropbox for you to play with.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
We all know that we pay a steep price for incremental improvements in this hobby. I've never owned the 45/1.2, the size kills the value proposition of the format for me, but have looked at shots from it and read about it. Never seemed like the way to go. The 45/1.8 is more than good enough for portraits, for me, which is my main use case at this FL. If I have to try hard to see the difference between the 1.2 and 1.8 it's a very easy decision.

That idea of not sweating it if I have to try hard to see the difference has made photography and audio [hear the difference] so much more enjoyable for me. Obviously some folks need or want that last bit of improved performance and are happy to pay for it. I'm not saying that's wrong in any way. Just suggesting that if you can understand what's important to you you'll be much better equipped to decide on what to put in your camera bag.

Maybe the OPs lens is defective. Maybe not, and the 45/1.8 is all that he needs. Good luck figuring that out @Lukeylight.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have both 45mm Olympus lenses.

Somewhere on this forum (Too bad I cannot find it now, but the forum's current software doesn't allow me to search out old image as in the past.) I posted the AF-tuning screenshot of the 45mm f/1.2 off the E-M1.2 along with some others. What I found was the 25 AF fine-tuning points in the body differ, and more so in the corners out ot maybe a +/- 6 or 7. Select another AF point and the AF focus changes if you do not spend the time to fine-tune and calibrate the AF for that lens. The 45mm f/1.2 seems to really differ in the AF tuning verses the others, imho.

The comparison with the other lenses show more of a closeup than the first one with the smaller bottle. Too much coverage to pull out any detail where the closer ones appear sharper being magnified.

Lots of representative images on the 45mm f/1.2 Pro in the Lens Gallery here: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympus-45mm-f-1-2-pro.94715/

Last edited:

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
To be honest I'm not sure if your testing setup is good enough to really show the differences between the lenses. First there is no EXIF data and, at least to me, it appears the exposure is a bit different shot-to-shot. Also the distances and angles seem to differ slightly, which can also have an impact on the results. It would also be more helpful if you could share full resolution images if we're already set out to pixel peep.

As @wimg already stated, the Pro lens should especially better in the corners wide open and should at the very least match the center sharpness of the f1.8 counterpart. I'd take the tips @RichardC provided and give it another try with strictly controlled settings.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
if you do not spend the time to fine-tune and calibrate the AF for that lens.
Fine tuning of the focus on lenses is only used when in Continuous AF, correct? In single AF any tuning shouldn't make any different I believe. With portraits I would assume most shoot AF-S and not AF-C unless some people prefer to use the back button focus technique for portraits I guess.

Noting that I only have the f1.8 version and have never even seen the f1.2 in real life, my thoughts are the photos above would make me return the f1.2 immediately. They are terrible for a lens that costs the same as the f1.8 trio (17/25/45) combined. I would expect even f1.2 to be great and certainly f1.8 to be at the very least as good as the f1.8 and to my eyes the 45 Pro images look soft.

Hard to just the last two since they are closer up images to I would expect them to have more detail then than images above. A more fair comparison would be to frame those last two identically the ones above or more your 45s closer to fill the frame a bit more.

But again, I agree with you, I am disappointed with your 45 PRO shots. I expect a premium prices lens to have premium image quality and that ain't it.

Real Name
Chris
IMO, if you are worried about center sharpness, I would take this first set as evidence a potential issue and then start over and look again more closely.

Setup a Tripod, a target of some type that shows sharpness, square off to it, get uniform lighting, take a series at f1.2, f.1.8, and f2.8 possibly. Use autofocus this time and take 3 shots at each setting. Pick the best later for comparison.

Same ISO, Same camera settings, etc. Turn IBIS off, use a 2s delay, etc. etc.

Get some carefully controlled results and then rethink the issue. Occassionally a lens is a lemon and you should convince yourself that yours is not and then forget about testing and go out and shoot. If it is a stinker for some reason, return it ASAP.

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
What was your shutter speed on the 45mm f1.2? Did you have IS on or off?

If you are concerned about your 45mm f1.2, compare it, at the same aperture on the same subject with your 1.8 lens. Use a tripod. Switch IS off. Manual focus using peaking on the same spot. Then try autofocus. Then try a shot wide open and another stopped down to say f2.8 or 3.5. I think you can then make a judgement call as to whether your 45mm f1.2 can be sharp enough in the centre, and take it from there.

I have what I consider to be a good copy. If you want some RAW images to compare, specify a camera to subject distance and aperture and I'll upload some to dropbox for you to play with.
Thank you Richard. All were hand held with IS on as I would be using it in real life scenarios, ie low light weddings. If you do have some raw files wide open it would be very helpful, as I can compare my copy.

bredman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Nice bottle. The Nikka Gold and Gold Samurai is now discontinued and becoming sought after by collectors. Price is going up so don't let it fall from that narrow handrail :)

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you very much everyone for your comments. I will retest under controlled lighting and full manual conditions. I will also retest micro adjustments. To be honest I don't think it will be any different. If someone does have some raw files of a good copy I will be very happy to compare. Once again thanks everyone for your kind assistance.

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular

Somewhere on this forum (Too bad I cannot find it now, but the forum's current software doesn't allow me to search out old image as in the past.) I posted the AF-tuning screenshot of the 45mm f/1.2 off the E-M1.2 along with some others. What I found was the 25 AF fine-tuning points in the body differ, and more so in the corners out ot maybe a +/- 6 or 7. Select another AF point and the AF focus changes if you do not spend the time to fine-tune and calibrate the AF for that lens. The 45mm f/1.2 seems to really differ in the AF tuning verses the others, imho.

The comparison with the other lenses show more of a closeup than the first one with the smaller bottle. Too much coverage to pull out any detail where the closer ones appear sharper being magnified.

Lots of representative images on the 45mm f/1.2 Pro in the Lens Gallery here: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympus-45mm-f-1-2-pro.94715/
Thanks

Thank you. Some fine points to consider. I will recheck af fine tuning. I love the bokeh and am hoping to keep this lens. Primarily purchased for use at F1.2 in smaller rooms, otherwise 75mm all the way.

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
OK. I re shot the same image inside, levelled my tripod. I shot the images below on manual and af at the same exposure and 1.2 meters to subject. There was no difference in af accuracy as i used a ruler at a 45 degree angle before hand which crossed with a subject and found af was bang on. First image is sharper at the edges than the 45mm f1.8.

45mm F1.2 Pro @ F1.2
_6130006.JPG

Standard 45mm F1.8 @f1.8
_6130010.JPG

45mm F1.2 Pro @ F1.4
_6130008.JPG

45mm F1.2 Pro @ F1.8
_6130010.JPG

45mmF1.8 @ F1.8
_6130009.JPG

45mm F1.2 Pro @ F2.8
_6130011.JPG

Standard 45mm F1.8 @ F2.8
_6130007.JPG

There you go. Not sure if i have a bad copy or thats how this lens is. I used to own the Zuiko 50mm F1.2 back in the day and i expected soft wide open for vintage lens. Lenstips mtf graph show this lens as a stellar performer @ f1.2 and amazing @ F2.8.

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
I bought the 45mm F1.2 thinking it would be better than my 45mm F1.8. I found it worse at F1.8 and only got good around f2.8. My 75mm runs rings around it. Granted the bokeh is beautiful at close distance , but was it worth the investment?
These images below are quick snaps for comparison.

View attachment 892641
45mm Pro@ F1.2
View attachment 892642

Standard 45mm@ F1.8
View attachment 892645
45mm Pro @F1.8
View attachment 892647
75mm@ F1.8
View attachment 892648
40-150 Pro @F2.8

As far as my eyes see, 45 pro has better optics. The contrast were good and surely seen more cleaner. But for bokeh, i love 75mm.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom