Should I add a Sony hx200v to my m43 kit$?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by peaceridge, Jul 4, 2012.

1. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    Here's my dilemma. My epm1 is great as long as I stick to taking pictures of just one particular area such as architecture or people, or even just landscapes. However, I like to hike and on any particular hike I might be interested in taking a close up of a flower, so I put on a lens for that. Then I see a raven overhead that I just have to take a picture of, but by the time I change lenses he is long gone.

So, I'm thinking of adding the Sony HX200V just for hiking - I understand its zoom lens can go from micro to telephoto in a second or 2. I don't know how much I'm giving up with this camera, but at least I can get the pics.

Am I missing something about the m43 that will compensate for my dilemma, or is there another p&s camera that might work for these "quick and dirty" pics?

Hope this is the right forum for this.

Lyn

2. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Err, ahh, how about slapping on that 14-150? :)

I guess you need something quite a bit smaller for hiking? In that case, yeah, a P&S with a decent zoom is probably your only option.

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    For me my choice hiking or walking around is the Panasonic 14-140mm since it offers a huge range and versatility. If you had something like the Olympus 12-50mm it's not quite as large a range but it has a noticeably wider 12mm end for landscapes and wide scenes, goes to a useful 60mm at the far end, and even has a macro mode for closeups of flowers and such.

I just noticed you have an Olympus 14-150mm listed in your signature - is there a reason you are finding that not to meet your needs? What is it you think the Sony would offer that your zoom lens doesn't on the E-PM1? If there's a specific problem/need you're trying to solve maybe that will help with offering advice.

4. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    Yes, the 14-150 doesn't meet my macro needs. I was debating about getting a macro lens, then got to thinking about the switching lens problem, and that's when I decided to ask you folks what to do. Also, the 14-150 is kind of large if I'm climbing - but, to be sure, not as large as the Nikon D90 I got rid of!

I'll do some research on the Oly 12-50mm you mentioned, maybe that would work, although it won't give me a huge distance, it might just be enough and it certainly will give me better pictures than a p&s.

Thanks,

Lyn

5. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    You can also look into the macro adapters like the raynox models that clip on the lens to add magnification. Quality would take a hit but if you're just doing occasional macro shots that might be a decent compromise.

6. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    That is a possibility - I'll look into that since adding other lenses is expensive.

I'm wondering - since the sony hx200v is only $400, what am I giving up if I just add and use it instead of the other lenses?

7. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'm not familiar with the hx200v specifically, but I imagine that's up to you when it comes down to it. I still have a Canon S95 I use as a backup P&S when I don't want to or can't bring a full size camera, but I rarely use it. I find it hard to take a drop in IQ and functionality when I have the G3 and assorted lenses to choose from instead.

This is how I see the choice between m4/3 and the hx200v (or most any P&S), bearing in mind I haven't used that particular camera.

Pros:
    - $400 cost, gives you a second camera to work with
    - wide zoom range
    - macro focusing mode (not sure how much of a true 'macro' this would be... my guess is you'd get same or better quality with the Oly 12-50 in macro mode)
    - built-in viewfinder (assuming you like a viewfinder)

Cons:
    - fixed lens
    - drop in IQ
    - decreased low light performance
    - power zoom versus manual zoom lens (con for me, I would never want to go back to a power zoom if I didn't have to)
    - bigger than EPM1 body size (might be pro or a con depending on your preferences)
    EDIT: forgot a big one for some folks, lack of RAW support. May not matter to you if you only ever shoot JPEG but I prefer RAW or at least the capability to shoot in RAW as an option.

I think it just comes down to which points are most important to you. On some particularly light hiking trips, I might just throw my S95 in my chest rig and forgo bringing a bigger camera. FWIW, got the S95 as a backup in the first place because I went on trip in the White Mountains where it rained and misted so often I hardly took any pictures; my m4/3 gear was packed away in a waterproof bag for safekeeping.

I don't baby my gear that much anymore, and I'll worry about it even less when I eventually get a weather-sealed kit. But for now, I'll still take the S95 as a backup when foul weather is a concern.

8. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Who knows the Sony hx200v may be a fine camera. I would look at a few real macro images on one of their forum sites to see if the macro ability really cuts the mustard and to compare it to the 12-50mm and PL45.

If it does then it maybe it's an option, if not then I'm looking at adding a 12-50mm or PL45 to my kit.

That's my approach. BTW .... I have a serious love/hate relationship with the PL45. It takes great macro shots and pretty good portraits. This issue is that sometimes with the macro focusing hunts more that I think it should.

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I would say increased low light performance comparing it to a e-pm1. Sony cameras are low light gods. My TX5, a sensor generation behind the HX200, embarasses my M43 cameras in low light. When I say low light, I don't mean at dusk, I mean sometimes I use my TX5 to take shots so that I can see where I'm going. No, I'm not using the flash. It simply takes pictures at night where I can see things I can't see with my naked eyes.

10. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Could be the case, I was just going by specs and what I saw at higher ISO on the DPR tests I looked at. Experience trumps stats though when it comes to cameras sometimes :smile:

11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I like the travel zoom category for this sort of need. About the size and weight of the E-PM1 body; plenty of zoom; macro. You give up a VF though, and the IQ is of course going to be a compromise, but it's nice to have a versatile and capable option when you don't want to deal with bigger body and/or multiple lenses.

I have a Canon SX230, but if I were buying today I'd be looking at the Sony HX30V. Sony provides the best bells and whistles IMO, with stuff like low light mode, as lenshoarder points out, and panorama. Also high quality video, if that matters.

12. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    Although the IQ is not up to my epm1 standard, I've decided to go with the Panasonic fx150 just for hiking. This was after yesterday I missed a great heron shot of several together because I had just taken a low light shot (under some dense bushes) with my 20 and didn't have time to put on the 14-150. That was it for me - better a lower IQ than no shot at all!

Thanks for all your help.

Lyn

13. brunerww

brunerww  

Mar 5, 2011
    Lyn - do you mean the Panasonic FZ150? Great choice. That's the camera I would have recommended. Great still and video image quality, shoots RAW, and if you are interested in video at all, it has an external mic input and there's no limit on your recording time.

I often "borrow" my wife's FZ when I leave the house instead of carrying my GH2 and multiple lenses.

Good luck!

Bill
    Hybrid Camera Revolution

14. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks, Bill,

Yes I meant the FZ150! It is supposed to come in this Friday and I can't wait - been watching youtube videos about it and it sounds like just the thing for me.

Lyn