Should cameras have security passwords or locks?

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I live in CA and theft is an issue here with gear. Walk around here with a $3,000+ camera and you may not own it for very long. See this recent news (and comments) about the San Francisco area where they will even steal TV reporters gear while on air. https://petapixel.com/2021/05/24/i-was-robbed-in-san-francisco-while-the-cameras-rolled/

I know theft of things like cellphones and tablets has lowered in schools due to passwords, fingerprints, and face recognition and was thinking this should be applied to cameras as well given their high cost. Maybe some code that would lock the camera up after a preset time/day period so the thief would have a hard time peddling it. Lenses would be another matter if not locked to the camera's serial somehow.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
Never thought about it but you have a good point- why not Touch ID on my shutter button to automatically turn the camera on/wake from sleep once lifted up? All of a sudden my camera feels so barbaric in some aspects compared to my phone.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
No, I don't want to mess with stuff like that, it will just slow me down and ruin the fun. Plus, it's just one more thing to go haywire. I'd just go buy insurance.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
It’s a beaut idea.
I lost my iPhone. Lady said the finder just pull out my sim, put their sim in, and reset the phone, all good to go...
I was quite worried when it happened because I had a lot of info in that phone, but nothing bad has happened, so far...

You can buy pretty small gps tracking devices which I have been considering putting in my bag, I haven't found one small enough to cement to a camera body but I'm sure they're out there.

Real Name
Chris
This is not too serious of a problem for the majority of people in the majority of locations. I have never felt the need for this added complexity.

While in SanFran a while back, my rental car was broken into and my luggage was stolen so I know what you are talking about. I think these problems are somewhat local, however, and that simply extra precautions must be taken in specific areas.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
It’s a beaut idea.
I lost my iPhone. Lady said the finder just pull out my sim, put their sim in, and reset the phone, all good to go...
I was quite worried when it happened because I had a lot of info in that phone, but nothing bad has happened, so far...
For your next iPhone, remember to enable "Find my iPhone"!
Then it's impossible to use for the finder or thief.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom