Should a Zuiko 40-150 + EC-14 + four-thirds-to-M43 adapter and Olympus (E-PM2) auto-focus?

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Yes, it should have worked, but it might be rather slow to AF. Try cleaning the lens and lens mount contacts with a clean wipe (not with an eraser), or very sparing amount of DeOXIT if you have some.

BTW, I had somewhat spotty results with a 3rd party 4/3 to M43 adaptor. Sometimes it wouldn't make a good electrical connection. Cleaning the contacts and/or wiggling the adaptor and lens a little may help to establish contact.

FYI, I just tried my ZD 50-200 SWD w/EC-14 + Olympus MMF-3 adaptor on my PM2. AF worked better than I expected. A little bit slow, but it locked in. But, what an unbalanced and unsteady combination without some sort of tripod or monopod. :) I need to use that lens with an OMD so I can steady it for a shot.

You should take a close look at your adaptor.

Last edited:

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, it should have worked, but it might be rather slow to AF. Try cleaning the lens and lens mount contacts with a clean wipe (not with an eraser), or very sparing amount of DeOXIT if you have some.

BTW, I had somewhat spotty results with a 3rd party 4/3 to M43 adaptor. Sometimes it wouldn't make a good electrical connection. Cleaning the contacts and/or wiggling the adaptor and lens a little may help to establish contact.

FYI, I just tried my ZD 50-200 SWD w/EC-14 + Olympus MMF-3 adaptor on my PM2. AF worked better than I expected. A little bit slow, but it locked in. But, what an unbalanced and unsteady combination without some sort of tripod or monopod. :) I need to use that lens with an OMD so I can steady it for a shot.

You should take a close look at your adaptor.

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,

A couple of things:

- With the E-PM2, I have the red button (just to the right and above the LCD) set to magnify. When i press that button once, it puts up a green square, and when I press the second time, it magnifies. I guess this is mainly to help when doing manual focus, but can that also work with AF? What I mean is can I get the camera to auto-focus on the areas where the green square is? Or does it always AF on the center of the viewer? One reason for asking this is I had the camera on a tripod, and wanted the main subject to be more towards the upper left corner, so I wanted to focus on the upper left area, but have the center of the view be in a different area.

- Also, is there a way to make the area that it is trying to focus on smaller? I think the problem was that i was trying to take a picture where the subject was just a small area (like a skinny branch) but I think the camera kept trying to focus on the background.

I was messing around tonight in a more controlled situation, and it seemed like it was able to auto-focus ok.

Thanks,
Jim

Latest threads

Top Bottom