1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shots with missed focus P20mm on GM5?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by agentlossing, Aug 15, 2015.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Since getting the Panasonic 20mm and giving it a fair shake, I've noticed several photos which were completely out of focus. I mean not even close, where it's obvious the camera (or the lens) totally misjudged the focus. I'm away from home right now so I may not be able to pull up examples, but I'm wondering why the camera went ahead and took the photo. Release Priority is definitely still set to focus, like it is by default. Has anyone else noticed this, and is it a fault of the camera or the lens?

2. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    ccfb22d81b117998891b63d0147e0b54. I did have one from today.

3. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    So, best I have been able to figure out, this was just me accidentally resting my finger too heavily on the shutter button and not refocusing since the previous shot. I think? Anyway it has not resurfaced.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I keep my Panasonics in "Quick AF" mode, which is basically just a passive continuous AF pre-focusing that helps speed things up for when you half-press for single AF. I know some people don't like it because it can lead to some surprises if you aren't expecting it, but I do find it legitimately speeds things up, and makes focussing even the 20mm near instant on a Panasonic body.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Sure. I have a MkI 20mm and all sorts of old bodies.
    Sometimes I get an unfocused frame, usually in darkish conditions.
    They are so few and far between I'm still happy with the general performance.

6. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Okay, so maybe it wasn't my "trigger finger" after all, if some of the rest of you have also gotten unfocused frames from the P20mm. It's a bit frustrating, as I really prefer my lens to keep hunting rather than sort of give up and take an unfocused shot :(

That's why I always make sure never to set my cameras' release priority to anything other than "Focus."