1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shots from my US/Canada boarding trip.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Livnius, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi all.

Here are some of my shots taken on a recent trip to the US and Canada.
    I went with friends for what was primarily a snowboarding holiday (via a New Years stop-over in Las Vegas) :wink:

I left Australia with a GF1 but came back with a GX1. At the very start of the trip I was nearby Samys Cameras in LA so I dropped in to take a look, I was immediately impressed with how it felt in hand and when the guy put on the new viewfinder I was sold. Even though I didn't budget for a new camera, I'm so glad I did it anyways, I'm loving the new gear.

But not all my gear worked out. As a part of my kit I took along with me a light-weight Vanguard Nivelo tripod that to be honest didn't perform at all....I have since upgraded to a Benro Travel Angel and man what a difference...sure it cost twice as much but damn it's a really well built and sturdy travel tripod.

Perhaps my biggest discovery though was just how darn tricky it can be to shoot on mountain in British Columbia when you're loaded up with not just all your regular snowboarding gear but backcountry safety stuff like ropes, probes, beacons, shovels and food & water.....then trying to lump in with all that an expensive new camera, lenses, filters and batteries that you are simultaneously trying to shield from -10 to -30 temperatures and all the ice, snow and sleet that comes with it :eek: (not to mention being aware of potentially camera killing condensation issues) .....and then there is the challenge of trying to get an exposure right in tricky 'snowscape' conditions. White skies, blizzards, heavy snow, white snow covered mountains, sudden (but short lived) bursts of strong sunlight, texture-less terrain, contrast issues....!!!!!! I had to try and make the most of the 4 or so days of blue sky and get a few shots in, only problem with that is...it's those 'blue-bird' days that snowboarders and skiers live for.

I had an absolute blast, I got the chance to live my dream by snowboarding some the best resort and backcountry terrain in the world....I've taken my board to Europe(twice), Japan and New Zealand but nothing compares to British Columbia and more specifically, the Silkirk Mountains around Revelstoke. BC is littered with ear-drum popping steep and long vertical....from open bowls to glaided forests it has the lot, the snow is light and deep and the people are amongst the most hospitable I have encountered anywhere in the world. I also met some new friends from back home.....it seems half of Australias young and good looking migrate to Canada for the northern winter to work the charlifts and bars :biggrin: I can't wait to go back.

...Oh......and along the way I managed to take a few snaps too :wink:

1) GX1 + Oly45 @ ISO1600 (I'm thrilled with GX1 performance at high iso)
    Canada-_the_strip.

2) GX1 + Oly45 @ ISO1600
    Canada-_the_old_guy.

3) GX1 + PL25
    Canada-_Ves_and_Alana.

4) GX1 + PL25
    Canada-Charlie.

5) GX1 + Oly9-18
    Canada-Ceasars_Fountain.

6) GX1 + Oly45
    Canada-_pregaz_on_the_strip.

7) GX1 + Oly45
    Canada-_fountain_watching.

8) GX1 + Oly45
    Canada-_strip_minimal.

9) GX1 + PL25
    Canada-_strip_architecture.

10) GX1 + P14/2.5
    Canada-_statue.

11) GX1 + P14/2.5
    Canada-Me-Goggles.

12) GX1 + PL25
    Canada-_backcountry.

13) GX1 + Oly9-18
    Canada-_tree_line_pow_track_II.

14) GX1 + Oly9-18
    Canada-_superbowl_scenery_II.

15) GX1 + Oly9-18
    Canada-_superbowl_scenery.

16) GX1 + P14/2.5
    Canada-_Tom.

17) GX1 + P14/2.5
    Canada-_Tom_mark_II.

18) GX1 + PL25
    Canada-_staring_into_abyss.

19) GX1 + P14/2.5
    Canada-_Red_jacket.

20) GX1 + Oly9-18
    Canada-_superbowl_climb.

21) GX1 + Oly9-18
    Canada-_cross_the_line.

22) GX1 + Oly45
    Canada-_Revy_view.

23) GX1 + PL25
    Canada-_Piste_bar.

• Like Like x 16
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    .....2 more that I forget to include in set :eek:

...both with PL25.

Canada-_Pickles_shovelling.

Canada-_Ante.

• Like Like x 5
  3. vidiot72

vidiot72 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 11, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    AWESOME set!

• Like Like x 1
  4. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Very lucky to be atop Whistler on a sunny day!

• Like Like x 1
  5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Great shots and I really like the PP!

• Like Like x 1
  6. I love all the lights in #1, and the image looks very clean for that ISO. The snow shots are fantastic, particularly the ones with some colour in them.

#11 is an awesome "selfy"
    #12 & 14 great sense of depth
    #13 love the receding line of trees
    #18 is epic
    #19, 20 & 21 only slightly less epic than #18
    #23 superb framing and lighting

• Like Like x 1
  7. tetzumaru

tetzumaru Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    tetzu
    nice!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    havent read all replies... but... did u title one of them "ayn rand's: Fountain head"

lol!

i LOVE it!

and the icecream shot is fantastic!

the PP is AMAZING
    add grain and vignette it to death and itd be even SEXIER!
    hehehehe

what was yer pp?

• Like Like x 1
  9. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Wow, sweet shots, and an impressive variety of lenses too! :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks guys :smile:

Too true. Bluebird days are rare up there, often went 10 days without the sun so much as poking its nose through the clouds. The consolation is, cold temps and cloud cover usually means snow :thumbup:

Cheers Nic.

"Epic-ness" is the key to snowboard photography :cool: Most of those shots you refer to were taken on the morning after a HEAVY powder dump and the brave and stupid alike were waiting impatiently atop a double-black diamond bowl as patrol were below detonating explosives in the risky areas to clear avalanche danger.

Shot 23 was taken at one of the on mountain bars, we would stop there for a couple of shots of Jagermiester for lunch, get a bit of a buzz going and go for an afternoon session.....the only way to ride !!
    I told the bloke working the bar that he had the coolest bar job in the world....much of the building fa├žade was floor to ceiling glass and he had the most breathtaking views whilst mixing drinks.

You'd perhaps be interested to know that I love the Oly9-18. It's a great little lens that packs a lot of versatility in a fairy small package...i just found that you do need to be careful with it and in situations like this, the lens hood is a MUST as it can be prone to flare and loose contrast quickly. On my Pany GX1 body it required a bit of PP to clean a bit of CA....especially notceable along mountain ridge lines in the distance. I think I will try pick up the Pany 7-14 just to compare though.

Cheers mate.
    I would typically crop then run the image through Define, perhaps a minor adjustment in Viveza, then I have a couple of fave LR presets that i use as a base....tweak them 'til I get my version of it....a little sharpen and export.
    I also found that the "White Neutralizer" preset in ColorFX was useful as some of my LR presets would be a little too strong on the snow...so after apply I would try bring a little bit of the clean white back.

The ice-cream girl shot I love. I thought of doing a B+W....perhaps you meant something like this...?

Canada-_charlie_BW.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    oh, i like the yellowish tint in the orig, just more grit n ving! lol
    but the bw is very nice
    it makes those eyes pop even more!

its like its her first ice cream ever and shes thinking "... WHOA! THIS IS... WHOA!"
    hehehe :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Interesting to hear. Traditionally I've always used hoods on my lenses, but I'm still running my 9-18mm "hoodless" at the moment. I find the 9-18mm much less prone to flare than the Sigma 10-20mm I use on my Canons (which sometimes requires a hand held off to the side of the lens to block the sun), but the snow seems like it would be an extreme condition with the added reflectiveness of the snow as well as the sun.

• Like Like x 1
  13. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    As I am writing this in my hotel room in Las Vegas at the moment, I have to say that those are great images.... you've now tipped me over in purchasing the 45mm Oly lens to add to my gear with those shots that you used the 45mm on.... thanks...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

I am truly sorry that I may be in any way responsible for any further whooping you give your credit card !

...and on more pressing matters, it's 9:30pm on a saturday night in Vegas....get the F--K out of the hotel room bro :yahoo:

15. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    "gx1 is better than Vegemite...!"

- Eliot

16. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

:rofl:

...and to think i repeatedly told myself during the short drive from Anaheim that I wasn't going to buy it, that there were 6 weeks worth of lift passes I needed to budget for...pfffft....I caved in to temptation within 3 minutes !!

Samys in Santa Ana is like a camera enthusiasts Disneyland compared to what we have here in Oz.

17. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Haha.. I just read this...actually, dinner was at 10pm that night and didn't get back in the room with the wife til I don't know what time... I was trying to gather funds for my next lens purchase from the tables but alas.... I'm more in the hole now :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Great set Livnius! BC looks incredible... makes me want to get back on the board again. It's been a long time. BTW where are the action shots?!? :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks mate.

BC is a stunning place, the Sea to Sky highway is pretty awesome to and it has some really nice little villages along the way. Even though my next trip back will more than likely again be during the winter, I'd love to check the place out in the warm months too....perhaps a nice big RV, bikes, a canoe and a fishing rod or 3 :)

The shots were taken on Whistler, Blackcomb and Revelstoke. For what it's worth....even though Whistler has the big reputation (and rightly too) Revelstoke is a snowboarders/skiers paradise. The longest vertical in nth America, steep, alpine bowls, glaided forests, backcountry and fluffy light pow unlike Whistler snow which tends to be heavier.

The real big difference though, even after a HEAVY snow fall, Whistler can get tracked out within a day....Revelstoke on the other hand can go 3 maybe 4 days before its carved up.

20. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Great photos - especially liked the "self-portrait". Loved the pp look you gave to the pics. Keep it up!

• Like Like x 1