Shots at the dragway with my Sony Alpha 65 SLT.

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by littleMT, Jul 15, 2012.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Some images..

1.)
    drsz-1.

2.)
    drsz-3.

3.)
    drsz-6.

4.)
    drsz-9.

5.)
    drsz-10.

6.)
    drsz-13.

7.)
    drsz-14.

8.)
    drsz-15.

1.)
    drsz-18.

• Like Like x 7
  2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I always look forward to viewing your posts because of the unique access to beautiful cars you have.

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    As a gearhead and a photographer, I love your work, Lucille. How do you like the A65? I am fascinated by this camera and the Sony SLT system. But it's the EVF in the A65 that I want (the A77 is too big and expensive). Still, it's hard for me to justify when I have both a Pentax DSLR kit and a micro four-thirds kit. I could probably talk myself into an A65 body... but it's the lenses I'd need for that 24mp sensor that would be the problem. Nice work. Keep 'em coming.

4. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

I love the A65, and hadn't shot with it much since buying 2 E-pl1's. The EVF is fantastic, and when composing and adjusting settings, what you see on the EVF is exactly what the images comes out like.

I have 3 lenses for it, the kit lens, a fantastic 35mm f/1.8 prime, and a 75-300mm zoom, which was used in these images. It was the 1st time the zoom was used and I have had it since the A65 was released. The 35mm almost never leaves the camera.

I was trying to buy a Sony Nex7, but due to the flooding in Thailand, they were very scarce, and so were the A65's for that matter, one day I am at Best Buy and there is a A65 new in a box, I took no questions asked and ran out the door, as I wanted badly the 24 megapixel sensor. SONY builds a badass camera IMO, I like the A65 better then my new Canon T4i.

Of course the bad thing about the Sony is it is big, small compared to the A77 but big compared to our m 4/3rd's bodys. The track photographer approached me and asked if I was a professional, which the reply was "No, just some little simpleton trying to get a shot"... They never would have asked this while walking around with the E-pl1.

The track photographer knew what the Sony A65 was, though he was using a ancient Nikon D300.

With every camera there is a learning curve, the Sony A65 is a joy to use, and it is this camera where I started to get a little skillful, and have been able to use those learnings on any camera I hold now.

The 24 megapixel sensor is just awesome for cropping. I typically don't crop, as I always attempt to frame accordingly so cropping isn't neccessary, but sometimes you need to, to remove distracting elements from a image, the 24 megapixel sensor is so forgiving with cropping, loss of image quality is very very minimal.

The other drawback is file size. Because of the monster files both raw and jpeg, I had to upgrade to a very fast Intel I7 powered Dell laptop, as older computers will struggle with files sizes from the A65 in photoshop or lightroom.

Since the A65 and A77 shared the same sensor, I opted for the cheaper model, and I am glad I did.

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Perhaps that would be the solution for me, at least for a while: A65 body with the 35mm Sony prime. I 've always wondered if the kit zoom delivers enough resolution for that sensor. Thanks, Lucille.