shot to shot, fixed focus

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alessandro, Jul 22, 2010.

1. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Hello,
    back after a while. Sold my E-P1 cause I am too far-sighted to "enjoy" the lcd screen, I'm waiting to get an E-Px or other micro 4/3 with an EVF.

Apart from the VF, I didn't like the lag my E-P1 had between shots: I use the separate button to focus ("detached" from the shutter button), but no way: when I release the shutter button, the next shot is too delayed for me.

So, the question is: has the most recent FW update shortened the delay, or should I look at Panasonic instead of Oly, cause numbers on the reviews say it is faster in the shot to shot parameter (cycle time in the Digital camera reviews slang)?

Cheers
    Alessandro

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Alessandro,

the shot to shot time can be impacted by being in Auto ISO/Auto exposure - if you're shooting sport for instance, the best thing to do is fix ISO, shoot Manual exposure - if you have the light, switch off IBIS too.

Critical timing is then quite possible.

Chatsworth horse trials
    E-PL1 + Hexanon 57mm f1.2
    1/800s f/4.0 iso200
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, whichever m4/3rds cam you use, you will find the lag from action to display in EVF is sufficient to miss the critical moment when you release the shutter (because you're seeing what went by a fraction of a second earlier by the time it displays in the EVF)... for action photography, you're better framing and pre-focusing on the action point using the LCD... and then watching the action approach the pre-framed spot and taking the shot while watching 'real life'.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 6
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Brian you have certainly mastered the art of pre focussing - wow, the combination of that lens with your E-PL1 and all is wonderful!

4. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Thank you for the info Brian, I didn't realize all that stuff introduces delay.
    None the less, the first FW versions tested say that the GF1 for example (not my cup of tea cause the EVF is not as good as the oly one), is much faster than the pens.
    Did the FW update that "fixed" the focus lag do anything to the shot to shot time too?

Alessandro

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    As Brian stated, that's the setup.
    I also have the review set to off.
    This really speeds things up.
    The camera will fire while writing but the review over rides release.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Good point Don, if you're using the 17mm f2.8 or 20mm f1.7 with centre point focus, you can use the OVF and switch off the LCD too.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It's the inverse square law again.
    The more the camera has to do, the slower it gets,
    The less it has to do, the faster it gets.

When I use the 17 and finder, it's almost instantaneous and very fast between frames....

• Like Like x 2
  8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    WOW.......great info. I can't wait to try this since I always seem to get a shot of what happened a second after I pressed the shutter release button.