Shot over 1000 photos yesterday, may do it again tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by atomic, May 5, 2012.

1. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    I went to a motorsports event in NH yesterday and got a little shutter happy. This will happen every time I get our to shoot motorsport. There's lots to shoot, and a lot of the shots don't come out. So, I need an efficient solution for sorting it all out when I return home:

I want to be able to dump all the photos from my SD card into a folder and then view them quickly in full screen (shrink to fit) mode. I want to be able to quickly and easily choose files for deletion and organize the rest into folders for further action. It would be an added bonus if I could see the filenames and exif info while I'm going through the files. I really don't want to use iPhoto for this, so what else is out there?

I prefer free software, but if it's really good I'll pay. I prefer native OSX software, but I'll load up Windows 7 in boot camp if that provides the best solution.

What do you use, what do you like about it and where can I find it?

Thanks in advance!
  2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Digikam may be what you're looking for. See my sig.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Aperture will do this
  4. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    Not that quickly; if I'm importing 200-300 images I walk away from the machine for a while. This is on a quad core Xeon Mac Pro with the OS and applications on an SSD and data going to a separate 1TB drive.
  5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    ... Nooooooooooooo!

When I first did motorcycle racing photos, I took 6k photos over a weekends events... It took me like two weeks to organize and edit them all and set up individual websites for everyone to check out their pics....
    Now I just take like five pics of each person. It was way too much work for free! Lol!

- Eliot
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Lyn ( is a nice fast previewer for Mac (RAW and JPEG) and displays EXIF data. It has a 15-day trial.

For Windows, Irfanview does pretty much everything you ask for and more.

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.

8. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    +1, good, cheap (free) and fast.
  9. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Thanks for all the tips ( and the sympathy, bokeaji ). I didn't shoot another 1000+ today, but I probably will next weekend. I think I'll give Irfanview a try first... I had completely forgotten about that software, used it probably 8 or 10 years ago... Should be fun to see how it has evolved!
  10. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I use Picasa (free) on a windows laptop, I don't know if there is a Mac version. It does what you are asking for and is reasonably fast on my PC. It even acts as a very rudimentary RAW converter (good enough for web use).
  11. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Adobe Bridge is free--if you buy Photoshop...
  12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'd actually avoid RAW converters for culling massive numbers of shots. A good previewer shows you exactly what the OOC JPEG looks like, without the nuisance of having to shoot RAW+JPEG using no more time than viewing a regular JPEG. A RAW converter on the other hand will slow things down immeasurably.

13. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    H*** s***!

I thought I had a lot on my hands when I came back with 100-200 pictures!!!

14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    You can start to sort your pics while the rest are still being copied from your card. There is also probably gains to be made by shooting JPEG as opposed to RAW..which is common with sports photography...faster fps when shooting.