1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Shot a promo video with my Jupiter-11 135/4 LTM Adapted

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by KBeezie, Sep 26, 2016.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    There's Art Prize 8 going on downtown here in Grand Rapids, Michigan right now, so as usual there are many many performers and artists at their locations.

Kevin Kammeraad (of Kevin Kammeraad and Friends) got ahold of me to shoot some photos and maybe video for him at one of the locations Sunday, which he wasn't scheduled for, so it was just a show for the sake of getting photos done, and the public enjoyed an unscheduled show.

Before show started I setup my camera directly in front of the little stage box, and we did some shots of each of the puppets while he spoke in each of their voices to get some pre-show momentum going. Shortly before the 3:00 starting time, I moved my camera up to a small hill behind the benches as to be out of the way of the audience.

YdxFHMi.

He wanted to make sure I got a video of the carousel part which had the song "Game (Boo Lou & Boo Lou) letting me know which character it would occur after. The plan was if there was a bunch of kids up by the booth then I would switch to a slightly wider lens, or in the absence of people close by, switch to my Jupiter-11 135/4 which is adapted via a M39/Leica Thread Mount adapter.

For the pre show photo shoot I used my Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, then when I moved up to the hill I used my Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 for most of the photos, and because there were no people within the frame for the upcoming sequence I switched to the Jupiter-11 135/4.

Here's the video I created snipping down recording to shy of a minute and adding in some photos. On account of the changing brightness due to the clouds coming in and out, I used aperture priority recording mode, and the Jupiter-11 was set to f/4 as well as a circular polarizer on front of the lens.

• Like Like x 4
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Nice job.
    The audio is really good too, was that captured with the shotgun?

3. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    The Rode Stereo Video Mic isn't a shotgun, but a cardioid. The audio up until the singing was with the mic, the audio when the singing starts is the audio file I asked for so I could lay it on top after fading out the ambient audio. Since the singing is pre-recorded I figured it would be easy to sync it (the puppet didn't match the first sentence in the live audio either).

From 0:30 onward is from the wav file laid on top, you can hear just as the ambient track gets faded right before it. All up to 0:30 is strictly from the mic (and it was a windy day, so that dead kitten helped).

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    By the way if you're curious about a video where I used only the Rode Stereo Video Mic there's this one.

Lens would be the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 adapted on my E-M5 (mk1), monopod shot with the mic rigged on a bracket.

Same deal here, but with the Oly 12/2.0

Versus an earlier one using the Rode Video Mic Pro (mono, shotgun), handheld with IS on which does get rid of the shake, but has that ugly jello/wobble.

For the puppet show, if I wanted to eliminate ambient sounds all together, I would just plug the camera into the same wireless microphone/audio system he's using to output to the speaker (or plug something like the H1 Zoom recorder into the booth and sync it later)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1