Short trip to the Oregon Coast

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by tdekany, Jul 21, 2013.

1. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Had a day off and we headed towards Tillamook, turned right and drove up to Cannon beach.

On the way we took a short hike in the Tillamook forest.

You have to cross this bridge to get into the woods.

P7180015.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

but well worth it.

P7183179.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

P7183180.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

Quick stop in Garibaldi.

P7180038.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

Getting close to Cannon Beach

P7180042.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

P7180058.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

Cannon Beach

_7180150.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

_7180156.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

_7180159.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

_7180153.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

_7180200.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    :smile: My upcoming vacation preview!

Thanks,

--Ken

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very, very nice set. I really liked the third and fourth images. :2thumbs:

4. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Me too! I'll be in the area in mid-late September as part of my cross-country road trip! :biggrin: Can't wait!

Wonderful images, BTW.

5. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Where along the coast are you heading? Perhaps we could make some suggestions for your trip?

--Ken

6. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Specific suggestions would be wonderful!

We are flexible in our plans (both time-wise and itinery-wise) but generally will start at Olympic NP and work our way down to about Bandon, OR. Then head inland to either Bend or Crater Lake, then continuing down into California thru the Sierras.

Any specific suggestion would be great! Thanks! :smile:

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Hi Bert,

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Olympic NP is incredible, we were just there this spring. Last spring we did the Oregon and California coast down Hwy 101. Lots of wonderful scenery.

Can you give us some more information on your party? Any kids? What types of activities are you looking for (hiking, adventure, culinary, etc.)? How will you be traveling (RV, car, etc.)?

8. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Bert,

The answers to Keith's questions will allow us to offer more focused (pun intended) suggestions. I hate to make recommendations only to find out that somebody had no interest in the things that I recommended.

I will say that 101 is a beautiful route, with many wonderful stops, and sometimes lots of traffic, so I would not assume that you will cover ground as if you were on the interstate. There are not a lot of towns, or access to the coast, in Washington until you get close to the Long Beach peninsula.

When you hit Astoria and the Oregon coast, you are hugging the coast line and there is generally more beach access along their coast. The weather can be quite cool and foggy, so dress in layers. Also, it can be very cool (especially at night) at Crater Lake, as you are at an elevation of about 6000 feet.

The highways from Reedsport to Crater Lake (38 and 138) follow the Umpqua River, and are, IMHO, stunningly beautiful. but, know that the drive to Crater Lake is long and slow. And the drive up to the lodge is extremely slow, and may cause you to get sweaty hands! :eek: The roads are very narrow and there is almost no shoulder as you climb up to the lodge. Most traffic moves at around 10-15 MPH, so there is little pressure to speed. But, all in all, it is worth it if the weather cooperates. The lake is something else.

I am sure we can make more specific recommendations about lodging, restaurants and activities if you tell us more about your interests. Regardless, don't forget to have a cup of chowder at Mo's (with several locations along the coast)!

Have fun,

--Ken

9. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    That was my honeymoon. We rode the Empire Builder out, spent a day in Portland, a week on the coast, and a day in Portland again.

Figure out when the tide will be out and visit the tidepools. They're all up-and-down the coast, and each and every one is COMPLETELY different.
    Spend a sunset in Oceanside.
    Visit the lighthouses.

If you're into airplanes, go to the Tillamook air museum. It's one of the best air museums in the country, primarily because you can get personal with the planes; there are no velvet ropes. Almost all of the planes still fly as well!

10. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Here's more info about our trip. It'll be only my sister and me - No kids. This is part of an 8 week cross country roadtrip by car, of which we will spend probably 4 days or so (but we're somewhat flexible) in Oregon. The main focus of the trip is photography, so we are interested in scenic vistas, with a bit of easy hiking (we're in our 60's, so nothing too strenuous, please :redface:). Sunsets at rocky beaches on the ocean are right up our alley. Mountains and lakes too. Regarding lodging, comfortable, clean beds at a reasonable price is all we require.

Regarding traffic, we'll be in Oregon in mid-late September, so is the traffic along Rte 101 still that bad mid-week? Same question regarding the drive up to Crater Lake. (Not sure whether Crater Lake is do-able for us.)

Thanks again!

11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    This is helpful information, and I am jealous! And you have come to the right place for beach/ocean sunsets. There are many wonderful places to shoot, perhaps too many. If the lighting is right (i.e. moody) the Astoria Megler bridge is quite a structure to photograph. There are some interesting tree trunks embedded into the water on a beach near Neskowin. Cannon Beach has Haystack Rock. Newport has its lighthouses, as do many of the cities on the coast. Bandon also has amazing scenes from its beaches, and there is a photographer who owns a motel there that may be affordable.

Traffic may be lighter than the summer, but the highway still has limited throughput, and one or two big motor homes can take a toll on your speed, as can rain. You are getting close to "winter" at Crater Lake, so I am not sure what you can expect for weather. Any way you look at it, the drive is long because the lake is in the middle of nowhere, and there are few road to access it.

Bend should be pretty in September, as well as warm and sunny during the day. The high desert east of Bend is quite stunning, and you might enjoy the John Day Fossil Beds. If you really want to go deep into southeastern Oregon, there are the Steens and Malheur NWR. Unfortunately, you cannot do it all, so I would suggest picking and choosing what sounds most interesting to the two of you. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Have fun,

--Ken

12. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Skip Mo's for chowder

It's the McDonalds of chowder.
    When you get to Florence visit The Firehouse.

Also, if you go to Bandon you'll have to backtrack north to get to Crater Lake. I'd suggest skipping Bandon and heading inland at Reedsport (go a little south to see Umpqua Lighthouse).
    Highway 138 from Glide to Crater Lake is incredible. Even better in the winter-spring.

13. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Yes, there are better than Mo's, but it is acceptable and somewhat easy to find for a visitor with their multiple locations. More importantly, I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who loves the drive on Highway 138! It truly was a wonderful drive, especially since there were almost no other vehicles on the road when we were there.

--Ken

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Good stuff. Is there any place in Oregon which is unphotogenic?

Gary

15. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Good question. I think that we need to do extensive to find out. Do you think that Olympus or Panasonic will underwrite our research? :flypig: A guy can dream!

--Ken

16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'd nominate the area around Pendleton in northeast Oregon. Of course I guess some people like flat sage brush covered desert.

17. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm more of a fish and chips than a chowder guy. Anyone can brew up a tasty pot of chowder (white, obviously), but it takes a real artist to master fish and chips. In my opinion the two best fish and chips spots in Oregon are Crazy Norwegians in Port Orford and Bowpicker in Astoria (get the Albacore). Both are simply magnificent.