Short trip to Portugal planned in July - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pdk42, Jun 15, 2014.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hi all - I'm off on a short holiday to Portugal in July. I'll be spending a couple of days in Lisbon and then driving up to Porto for about 4 days. I'm hoping to get a mix of city and country touring and of course will be on the lookup for some good photo opportunities. Do any of you have any recommendations for places to go/things to do?

2. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I would ask on the forums at Tripadvisor.com. I’m not being snarky — they really are helpful.

Briefly, Lisbon is worth at least a couple days on its own so I wouldn’t spend time outside of it (i.e. Sintra). Instead, get your countryside fix during your drive or while based in Porto. In Lisbon, the entire old town (Baixa) is very photogenetic, as well as the Bélem district. Just walk around and shoot.

3. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thanks for your reply. Good tip about Tripadvisor too - hadn't thought of that.

4. gswpete

gswpete Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    I'd suggest maybe one more day in Lisbon. Lots to do and see there. I love Porto as well, but Lisbon and Porto are distinctively different.
    Enjoy the food, wine, and people.

5. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Agreed with others, Lisbon has a few days in him.

Make sure to spend one day in Estoril/Cascais. Really nice walk on the beach between two cities (one hour but i could be wrong, and you never even notice they are two different cities), if you're into that.
    Estoril is like an hour from Lisbon (with train).

6. Der@

Der@ Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2013
    Portugal
    Dario
    Hi Paul,

I'm a Portuguese national so I think I'm able to give you some valid recommendations although I don't know the kind of places that please you most.

Not far from Lisbon you should not miss Sintra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sintra). In Sintra visit the Pena's Palace and Quinta da Regaleira (take the guided tour because the place is full of hidden secrets) and in the centre of the town go to Piriquita (a café) and ask for Queijadas de Sintra (a delicious local pastry). If you have the time visit also the Castelo dos Mouros (Moors Castle), Seteais (a five stars hotel in an antique palace) and Monserrate (a big park with a very romantic palace inside). You won't regret to do it all.

On the way to (O)Porto please take a detour to Óbidos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Óbidos,_Portugal). Another beautiful and romantic place full of history and almost frozen in time (except for the turistic part).

In Lisbon and (O)Porto get a good travel guide and choose what you like. I think that Michelin guides are very accurate on the ratings.

We are a small country but have an amazing gastronomy and excellent wines (don't think on the French ones, try ours). So, spend lavishly on our delicious food and wine. You also won't regret.

If you need something more specific please feel free to ask.

I wish you a great time in Portugal!

7. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thank you all so much for your replies. It's really appreciated!!!

Der@ - I'll be going with my wife and two children (11 & 13), but we're all adventurous with food and I can promise you that "la gastronomie" will be high on the agenda! My wife is French, but that won't stop us going for Portugese wines rather than French. I've been to Lisbon once on business, but it was a brief visit and I didn't get to see much (I got this one half-decent shot in fact):

11033329106_bae05388a7_b.
    Lisbon by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

So, we're all really looking forward to it.