1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Short T-Rings

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by JCDowdy, Jun 21, 2014.

1. JCDowdy

JCDowdy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    John C. Dowdy, Ph.D.
    I am looking for really short T-Rings in µ4/3. I found a 10mm one called a "T-Minus" but it lacks an inner rotating ring to index the lens.
    I found another ~8mm with adjustable indexing ring from an ebay seller but he stopped carrying them.
    I would appreciate anyone pointing me toward a vendor.
    Thanks!

2. JCDowdy

JCDowdy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    John C. Dowdy, Ph.D.
    Wow,

Your response is overwhelming.

Thanks for all the help.

3. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    It seems that nobody has had that specific problem before. We are a community forum, not a manufacturer support site, so while we do our best we cannot answer every query, nor should that be expected. Have you had any success locating what you were looking for, if so it might help others if you shared?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  4. JCDowdy

JCDowdy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    John C. Dowdy, Ph.D.
    If it is not a concern for anyone I beg pardon then.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It would also assist if you could explain/show exactly what these T-rings are and what they are used for, which might jog someone's memory or they may know someone who knows. If these things were common and used every day, I'm sure you would have received many recommendations.

6. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    It would help, if you explain why you need sutch a short T-ring.
    Lots of knowledge on this forum...

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Are you looking for mft to 1.25 ep nose piece using a t ring?

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... looks like Elvis has left the building .....

9. JCDowdy

JCDowdy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    John C. Dowdy, Ph.D.
  10. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
  11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    There you go. I have something similar that I adapted for my Vivitar Series 1 Catadioptric 600mm lens, by removing the screw fitting and using the outer housing with a 4/3 mount. We could talk about this all day long, except that it appears as if Dr Dowdy isn't interested in any conversation.

12. JCDowdy

JCDowdy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    John C. Dowdy, Ph.D.
    Sorry, just busy and I did not notice the comments.
    My application is not actually in astrophotography, but since one often finds these used to adapt to various telescopes and microscopes.
    I thought I would try a "shot in the dark" to those of you who do shoot in the dark.

I am trying to put a filter drawer between an F-mount camera lens and a µ4/3 body. I think astrophotographers encounter similar optical path constraints when combining filter drawers with off-axis guiders. Thinner filter drawers are available for these purposes and I may yet need to acquire one.

Standard µ4/3 T-ring has an optical length of 35.75mm which is the difference between the flange focal depth of a T-mount camera lens (55mm) and a µ4/3 lens (19.25mm). Also, some types of catdiotropic (mirror) lenses have shorter non-standard lengths, such a s the Rokinon and Samyang which are only ~17mm. The short "T-Minus Ring" in mentioned initially is only 10mm which is still a bit thick for my setup so far.
    The adapter I eventually found is ~7.7mm just in case anyone encounters a similar requirement for a very short adapter.

13. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    Sounds like an interesting project, good luck!