Short Portrait Session - natural light

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Alanroseman, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    This is my Niece Jennie. Visiting from SC. We had a short portrait session while the light was nice in late afternoon.

G1 / MD Rokkor 50mm f1.7 / Aperture 3

P1020792_-_Version_2.

P1020795_-_Version_2.

P1020771_-_Version_2.

• Like Like x 7
  2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    You really caught the light ! But I smell the first one is just a touch out of focus - the focusing plane looks to be 5 cm too close to the camera.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Mauve,

Yes, I have to agree. However, the girls liked the soft look of that one so it stayed in the keeper stack. I'm afraid I wasn't discriminating enough when I gabbed several for threads.

Thanks for looking, and commenting!

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Soft focus has always been a glamour photography favorite !

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ever seen the movie the Mask of Zorro with Catherine Zeta-Jones? Some of the most heavy-handed soft focus effects you'll ever see, but only when she is in the frame. Any other time the picture is razor sharp.

I'm therefore going to say that I like the last image the best!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Thanks Nic,

There's quite a few from that particular position. It was a tough spot as the light was mottled there. I'm probably a fan of #2 in this 3 shot set.

There's quite a bit of skin softening here as well... 15 year olds and skin are not always a prefect combo. That may be adding somewhat to the slightly OOF / soft feel.

I applied the 14 - 18 year old girl rule - soften the skin - sharpen the eyes and mouth...

Alan

7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Ironic. We go and buy the sharpest and highest resolution cameras we can and the girls don't like it! Same with the lime green leisure suit and gold chain! You just can't win.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Hikari,

It is a little ironic isn't it?

I'm proud to say I lived through the entire era as an adult and never owned a leisure suit.. I did have one pretty loud green blazer in the late 70's. Every so often I see a pic in which I'm wearing it, never fails to make me roll my eyes and wonder what in the heck I was thinking.

Do you have daughters? If they aren't teens, wait until they are. Their complexion concerns lack irony and humor.. in fact it defies humor.

9. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Alan - thanks for sharing such great portraits. The third in the series is my favourite one, love the way you handled the light with most of her in shadow and the highlights just hitting her hair. Her personality comes across very well, which is a testament to how well you put her at ease.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Skin softening goes for anyone except babies and young children, I think. I did my first portrait session last weekend, and the subject, a 35-year-old lady, said, "I LOVE the pictures but I can't believe I'm so wrinkled, can you do anything about that?"

Why yes, I can. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  11. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I like the soft look, but the shadow in the second one is kinda heavy. That could be easily fixed in post post processing if you wanted. Did you focus just in front of her or just behind to get the effect? I actually cheat often and use the soft skin setting on my gf1 and it seem to work great.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Andrew,

They're all RAWs. Believe me, most are sharp as a tack. Maybe when she returns to SC I'll post one with less processing...

Actually are a couple in the Minolta Rokkor 50mm thread that aren't softened quite so much..

It's all about the age.... you'll see.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Are you making fun of moi?

Those are nice Alan, I think a bit of fill-in flash might have been helpful.

G

• Like Like x 1
  14. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Great pics, Alan. Personally I think the first one is a tad too soft, but in the end that doesn't matter much since it's up to your niece whether she likes it or not!

Third one is great!

I've been doing mostly "candid portraits" but am slowly diving into more posed portraits - if I can find willing targets... er models. :tongue:

15. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Gary,

I considered it, in fact I may fill a little today as the two of them want to take a few pics together..

It's been many a long year since I shot anything in a studio, so I really don't have anything too sophisticated around, even a goofy Gary Fong... or a puffer. Might be harsh, but I take your point.

Yup. The no leisure suit shot was across your bow... :biggrin:

16. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    No Softening...

Here you go.

No skin softening. I'm giving her all of your home phone numbers......

PS. I like it this way just fine.

G1 / MD Rokkor f2.8 / Aperture 3 - no real PP

No_soft_2_8.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Dial down the flash to 10% or 20% and shoot for effect ... all you need is just a touch for a bit of sparkle beyond their natural sparkle.

G

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Sound like a plan... I give it a whirl. And, since I'm using the Oly FL36 flash, I'll have time for coffee and donuts between recharges...

19. Turn it on the night before. It'll be ready by morning.

20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I still have a few flash cubes if you need them.

G