Short MFD 135mm primes?

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
searching for a cheap (<25-30€) 135mm (or similar) prime
KEH.com has them from US$3, but they don't say anything about focus distance, and shipping to Italy might be too much.

Even if minimum focus was too long, for $3, you could afford some extension tubes or close-up filters to go with it.

zioroby6

Mu-43 Rookie
It’s been alluded to , but have you looked at extension tubes? They’re very cheap and you can improve the close focus of any old lens.
Yeah, I'm getting a set for sure, for 6€ I think it's a good deal and something you can easily carry in your bag!

You could try the Konica 135mm f3.2, which has a mfd of 1m and is generally regarded as an excellent prime. You can look in the adapted lens showcase to see what it can do.
That's one of the lenses I've come across while searching, I'm keeping an eye on ebay sales :)

KEH.com has them from US$3, but they don't say anything about focus distance, and shipping to Italy might be too much.

Even if minimum focus was too long, for $3, you could afford some extension tubes or close-up filters to go with it.
Damn, that's a nice shop! Unfortunately we don't have such a thing here in Italy, I will try to see what their shipping rates are. Thanks!

zioroby6

Mu-43 Rookie
Just a caution: could be helpful to check this thread before committing to a purchase from them.
Thanks for the information, however shipping rates are way too high (about 50$ for a single lens)... I really hope there would be something like that here, but there are only many small shops selling used stuff... :(

zioroby6

Mu-43 Rookie
In the end I managed to grab a Soligor 135mm f2.8 with chrome aperture ring (17xxxx serial, should be made by Tokina?) for just 1€ + shipping. It has Konica AR mount, so I will have to wait for the adapter to arrive. Since MFD is 1.5m I'm also getting some macro rings for M43 mount so that I can always use them with any lens. I'll start experimenting as soon as I get everything and maybe post some shots in the specific thread :)

MMouse

Mu-43 Regular
One very good close focus lens is the CZJ Sonnar 135mm f/3,5. Not the cheapest because there is "Zeiss" on it but still affordable. Main problem is that the lens isn't reliable mechanically. I tried 4 samples, the only one which had no aperture problem when I received it or soon after trying it a bit had fungus. So I gave up. Nice lens but too fragile. The best may be the Samyang 135mm f/2...

I have the Konica AR 135mm f/3,2 now. Mine looks mint. It feels better than the Zeiss but image quality is a mixed bag. I think contrast is quite low at f/3,2 even if sharpness is good. The lens is quite difficult to focus. I like it but I would prefer a good CZJ Sonnar.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
@MMouse, fwiw, stuck apertures can usually be addressed by flushing the iris with isopropyl alcohol or lighter fluid.
This can be done without disassembly of the aperture.

However, to fully resolve the issue, you need to clean all the old grease off the helicoid/focus mechanism, as old grease tends to separate and get oil everywhere, causing the stuck iris.
Then, re-grease the helicoid with a very small amount of silicone-based synthetic grease.

Paul C

Mu-43 Regular
Close focussing 135mm lenses -on a budget

The start of this thread mentioned the Hanimex 135mm Close up.

The Hanimex Treasure to look for is the "scalematic" 135mm f2.8. I have one in PK mount with the famous Green Ring proudly on the front.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hanimex dual focus 135mm.jpg

This is like the famous 200mm Sigma "scalematic" - in that it has 2 focus rings. One close to the camera for main focus and a second front ring that turns the lens into a near-macro. Turn this when the lens is at its closest focus using the closer large ring.

Unlike the Sigma - the Hanimex is mostly an "unrecognised" model at an "unrecognised" price - indeed on eBay adverts almost no one seems to realise what this lens can do or even show the additional front focus ring!

For this role it is a bit bigger than many 135mm 2.8 lenses, needs a 55mm filter thread, but is a lot of fun in use. As with all the full frame lenses adapted to M4/3 - getting a long lens hood really helps with flare and contrast. With a flashgun on the hot-shoe to fill-in and set to f8 for depth of field this is excellent for butterfly and flower head images.

Best wishes - Paul C

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
Close focussing 135mm lenses -on a budget

The start of this thread mentioned the Hanimex 135mm Close up.

The Hanimex Treasure to look for is the "scalematic" 135mm f2.8. I have one in PK mount with the famous Green Ring proudly on the front.
View attachment 803123
Hanimex dual focus 135mm.jpg

This is like the famous 200mm Sigma "scalematic" - in that it has 2 focus rings. One close to the camera for main focus and a second front ring that turns the lens into a near-macro. Turn this when the lens is at its closest focus using the closer large ring.

Unlike the Sigma - the Hanimex is mostly an "unrecognised" model at an "unrecognised" price - indeed on eBay adverts almost no one seems to realise what this lens can do or even show the additional front focus ring!

For this role it is a bit bigger than many 135mm 2.8 lenses, needs a 55mm filter thread, but is a lot of fun in use. As with all the full frame lenses adapted to M4/3 - getting a long lens hood really helps with flare and contrast. With a flashgun on the hot-shoe to fill-in and set to f8 for depth of field this is excellent for butterfly and flower head images.

Best wishes - Paul C
That's an interesting looking lens. Might have to add one to my collection of 135mm legacy lenses.

MMouse

Mu-43 Regular
Best of all for short mfd, good image quality and reasonable size is the Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/3,5 in m42 mount. But beware, mechanics are quite poor and the lens is very difficult to find in good conditions. I gave up.
Konica Hexanon AR 135mm f/3,2 is build like a tank, quite short mfd but strange color rendering.

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
Something briefly mentioned before is the Vivitar/Kenko (7-element) 2x macro focusing teleconverter. Various reviews are favorable for their image quality. They're available in a variety of mounts including OM, for $20 US, more or less.
They seem to be designed for a 50mm prime, so get yourself one of these and an OM 50/1.4 prime, and you have a 100/2.8 macro focusing lens.
I have just tested mine and the closest focusing distance is about 110mm (from the front element), and subject is about 22mm diagonal. That's 1:1 by my calculations. And it still focuses to infinity as well.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom