1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Short Film on a GF2

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by ApGfoo, Dec 10, 2012.

1. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    Hi guys, new member here. I'm doing a short film for a film/video production class I'm taking. I cut a montage sequence for it already and I'm working on cutting the rest of the film.

We're gonna have a big premiere day this coming Saturday to show the final cut. I'm probably gonna try uploading a full rough cut here possibly for some criticism if I have time.

All footage is shot with the GF2 and the Lumix 20mm F1.7. I was the director, dp and now editor for this flick. Never again!

I shot the library scene with a diy dolly similar build to the youtube guy frugalfilmmaker. It was a tad shaky but hat was one my end since I was in a rush and didn't secure it all the way.

Cheers everyone!

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQTanOI6lCg]TestFullMontageCut - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 2
  2. ozfoz

ozfoz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Brisbane
    Nice video!

3. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    The GF2 is a great little camera: I gave mine to my daughter for her use at college, and I miss it...

4. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    Thanks!!

It's an awesome little camera. I'll be getting the GH2 or GH3 next year since I'm more into video than stills at the moment but the GF2 will always have a place in my heart lol!

Here's the finished film! Guys, give me your input!!

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w9Hn_qxF6E]3rd Times The Charm - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    The picture quality and sound is great, did you use the built in mics or a separate system?

6. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    I did not use the in cam mic even though the GF2 is in stereo. I used the Zoom H1 Recorder on a boom pole as my mic. It worked out better than expected outdoors. The class room audio could have been better but the classroom ac/heater kept turning on and off.

I synced the audio manually from the recorder to my video clips via clapping and synching in editing. I think software like PluralEyes can do it automatically but I haven't checked it out yet.

Also it looks like the Zoom H1 is on sale at B&H for $89.99, normally 99.

• Like Like x 1
  7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Nice work man. I would love to see more video folks join here, this has always been a very photo-centric forum. I think we can all learn from each other.

8. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    Thanks! For sure we can learn from each other. I'm already gonna pick up that Sigma 30mm because of you and others from this site.

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good job on the vid. Did you hack your GF2 to get the higher bitrates?

10. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    Unfortunately I did not have it hacked when I shot. When I had my first real day of shooting, I only had a 16GB card on me. I could have towards then end when I shot the outdoor scene since I received the 32GB card in the mail. I will keep it hacked on my next short film if I do one.

The thing is, the format that I wanted to use from the hack doesn't seem to work on my cam. I'm getting approx 46Mbit on NTSC FSH(1080@30fps) and SH(720@60) mode but I really want to get it on PAL FSH (1080@25) just to get the frame rate closer to 24 for a more film look but a get a message that says I can't. I'll look into as to why later.

Once I figure that out and learn how to properly color correct and color grade, my vids will turn out much better.

11. IronFilm

IronFilm New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2013
    Was neat to see a short film with the GF2 as I'm considering the GFx cameras myself.

Most people however would recommend the higher end GHx series instead (such as the GH1 or GH2) for filmmaking, is there anything you felt lacking from the GF2 when you where using it that made you wish for a GH1/GH2 instead?

What happened at about 3:35 when the background seemed to flicker, camera glitch?

edit: btw, you wrote good advice for your class mate in your blog about the micro 4/3rds system. And like you I am surprised that there are not more people who know about it!

12. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    The GF2 worked well for my situation but the GH series would have been better. The GF2 is lacking in manual controls for video mode. You can control the shutter speed and what resolution but no 1080 @ 24p option which works better for film. The aperture and ISO settings are auto which are another con for the GF series for video.

The flicker in my video was most likely due to either the Auto ISO or Aperture. The camera will adjust exposure on its own and I couldn't do much about it except in the future, do another take and hope for the best.

I'm about to pull the trigger on that new cine lens from SLR Magic, the 35mm 1.4. At least with that lens I can control the aperture manually. If the flicker still happens then I can narrow it down to the Auto ISO.

Either case, I'll be switching to the GH series in the near future. The manual controls in video mode, the resolution is much sharper, has 24 frames, better in low light, and the bulkier body would actually work out a little better if I were to shoot hand held.

Another thing about the GF series is that it focus hunts too much in auto focus mode in video. I mainly adjust focus manually but it would be good to have something that is decent in continuous auto focus is a bonus.

I doubt there'll ever be full manual controls in video mode for the GF series but maybe the GX series perhaps? lol I can dream.

13. IronFilm

IronFilm New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2013
    Ah, I suspected that was the reason. Thanks, as I was considering the GF1/GF2 as a cheaper option for doing videos with than the GHx line but now I'm more sure the Olympus PEN EP1/EP2/EPL1/EPL2 would be a better choice due to their manual controls.

14. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    None of the Panasonics except the GH series have manual video control. As for Oly, I don't think even the EM-5 does 1080p 24fps.

ApGfoo, great little film! Even with a GF2 it turned out pretty well. Just shows most of filmmaking is script and acting and film technique. I'm trying to learn how to do these myself. Inspiring to watch your effort!

15. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    Thx for the kind words.

One thing I think is pretty cool that I just learned recently about the Panasonic mft cameras, is that it has an Ex.Tele conversion option for video. If you have it on, it will add 2.6x zoom without degrading quality @1080 or 3.9x @720p.

For example. I shot video with the 20mm 1.7. It can turn it into 20mm x 2.6 = 52mm or 104mm as the 35mm equivalent.

From my limited understanding, it can do this without degrading quality because video doesn't use the whole sensor to record 1080. This means it can crop at the center to gain a bit of zoom.

pretty awesome stuff.

16. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    Very neat. I just tried it out on the GF3 and it worked, but only at 720. Nothing happened when it was set to 1080 quality. At 1080, all you get is what I presume is just a normal shift in the aspect ratio from 4:3(?) in stills to a 16:9 ratio in video.

17. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area

I just messed around with the different formats n resolutions. This is what I noticed.

[​IMG]

It works in all formats except FH and FSH.

Also I assumed I'd get 2.6x on 1080 and 3.9x on 720 according to people who tested it on a GH2.

After doing minor tests on my GF2, the added EX zoom distance is the same for all resolutions.

Not as great as initially thought but still noteworthy for mft Panasonic video shooters.

18. Krydner

Krydner New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to video, and I only have GF1, but it's my understanding that there are hacks out there now that allow for manual video control in the GF series. I've been able to control the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. Are you talking about manual controls other than for those settings?

19. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    Cool project.

I read your blog and your thoughts about the m4/3 system and I noticed you might be going for a wide angle lens for second lens. If I may suggest the 14mm Panasonic lens, it is excellent bang for the buck, I don't shoot video much, but the few clips that I have of my kids are amazing.

20. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    Thanks for the comment. Yes, controlling aperture and ISO in video is what I'm after. I'm going to research those hacks. Which hack in particular are you using for your GF1?

Yeah the 14mm Panny is something on my radar but I really want a 12mm lens. The only 12mm lenses out there are the Olympus which is above my price range and the SLR Magic which also still above my price range. We'll see. Thanks for the suggestion and for reading my blog!