Short cord for Olympus charger?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by crsnydertx, Nov 28, 2011.

1. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    The E-PL2 and E-P3 are shipped with chargers that (I suppose) accommodate a variety of plugs through use of an extension cord instead of a folding plug in the body. Nice flexibility, but the cord is too long and bulky to carry in a small bag. I did buy a third-party (Wasabi) charger but I have issues with it.

Does anyone have a line on a short cord with US plug to use with the Olympus charger?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I guess you can find another power cord. This comes inside the package : Volex brand. I think it's just random power cord? or not.. Mine is only 45cm and looks like the cord doesn't have high quality like my canon cord.

2_Prong_Style_US_Notebook_Power_Cord.summ.

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Any photo to share? I bought short 1' cords from Amazon for other gear. One is for 2-prong that works with the GH1 charger. The other is for 3 prong that works with my HP netbook. I also got a short 6" extension cord from Radio Shack. Small is good!

4. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    John, the 1- foot cord sounds like a winner. I'll search Amazon for it. Thanks!

In the meantime, however, I'm finding out that the Wasabi batteries I bought (BLS-5 equivalent) are not showing when they're fully charged. I may need to get an extra OEM battery or two to give me peace of mind. What a pain...

5. Can do way better than a short cord. Got an older ipod or a Mac laptop? The plug from those fits right in my Olympus charger, plug it straight onto the wall!

• Like Like x 2
  6. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Don, thanks. While searching for John's short cord, I found an adapter that looks like it will do the job:

Amazon.com: Conntek 30001 Travler Male Plug Adapter U.S. Male Plug To Laptop/Power Adatper IEC C7 Female Connector: Patio, Lawn & Garden

However, I may have an old iPod power block in my cords drawer; will definitely check that out..

p.s. Found one! Looks like it will work fine; thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Good idea. I don't know the Oly chargers - do the little bricks eat up more than one socket when used like this?

8. Depends on the socket I guess John. Seems to work ok for me. Luckily my Panasonic charger takes the same plug, so I can share 1 or 2 between all appliances when traveling!

Cheers, Tom

9. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    Thanks! I was thinking about getting a travel charger but I'll just get one of these instead, only a buck on ebay.

I am pretty sure Olympus charger has the plug end on the side, so it shouldn't block anything if plugged into standard outlet using this, it might be a problem for some powerstrips tho.