1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Short cord for Olympus charger?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by crsnydertx, Nov 28, 2011.

1. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    The E-PL2 and E-P3 are shipped with chargers that (I suppose) accommodate a variety of plugs through use of an extension cord instead of a folding plug in the body. Nice flexibility, but the cord is too long and bulky to carry in a small bag. I did buy a third-party (Wasabi) charger but I have issues with it.

Does anyone have a line on a short cord with US plug to use with the Olympus charger?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I guess you can find another power cord. This comes inside the package : Volex brand. I think it's just random power cord? or not.. Mine is only 45cm and looks like the cord doesn't have high quality like my canon cord.

2_Prong_Style_US_Notebook_Power_Cord.summ.

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Super Moderator

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Any photo to share? I bought short 1' cords from Amazon for other gear. One is for 2-prong that works with the GH1 charger. The other is for 3 prong that works with my HP netbook. I also got a short 6" extension cord from Radio Shack. Small is good!

4. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    John, the 1- foot cord sounds like a winner. I'll search Amazon for it. Thanks!

In the meantime, however, I'm finding out that the Wasabi batteries I bought (BLS-5 equivalent) are not showing when they're fully charged. I may need to get an extra OEM battery or two to give me peace of mind. What a pain...

5. Can do way better than a short cord. Got an older ipod or a Mac laptop? The plug from those fits right in my Olympus charger, plug it straight onto the wall!

• Like Like x 2
  6. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Don, thanks. While searching for John's short cord, I found an adapter that looks like it will do the job:

Amazon.com: Conntek 30001 Travler Male Plug Adapter U.S. Male Plug To Laptop/Power Adatper IEC C7 Female Connector: Patio, Lawn & Garden

However, I may have an old iPod power block in my cords drawer; will definitely check that out..

p.s. Found one! Looks like it will work fine; thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John M Flores

John M Flores Super Moderator

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Good idea. I don't know the Oly chargers - do the little bricks eat up more than one socket when used like this?

8. Depends on the socket I guess John. Seems to work ok for me. Luckily my Panasonic charger takes the same plug, so I can share 1 or 2 between all appliances when traveling!

Cheers, Tom

9. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    Thanks! I was thinking about getting a travel charger but I'll just get one of these instead, only a buck on ebay.

I am pretty sure Olympus charger has the plug end on the side, so it shouldn't block anything if plugged into standard outlet using this, it might be a problem for some powerstrips tho.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.