Shopping Panny in Asia + Insight & Feedback on lenses

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dia36, Jun 4, 2011.

1. dia36

dia36 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2011
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Hello there,

I am going on a trip to Beijing, Hong Kong and Tokyo (in this order) on september. I've just got myself a GF2 (with the 14mm prime) but am going to get more GFn (n standing for '2' or '3', depending on the rumored release) bodies around there, along with a few lenses.

First, I'd love to know which would be the best city of the three to get photo gear (shop tips would be tremendously appreciated too!). As far as I've read (and it haven't been much), HK would be the place;

and second, I'd like the opinion on the lens selection I plan, which would consist of getting the 20mm for everyday use, then getting the CV25 for night shooting and for portraits, just getting a nikon mount adapter and use my Nikkor 50mm 1.8. All this three and the 14mm which I already got (which does fine in some landscape and street shooting).

I don't need/want a zoom lens, would rather stick with primes and bigger apertures are the focus of this choice. The CV25 still appeals a lot more than the Leica 25mm that's about to be released, for it's night use possibilities.

What do you think? Is it worth getting a native lens for portraits? If so, which lens would it be?

Thanks in advance!

(BTW, this is my firs post so maybe I should have posted it somewhere else. If this happened, please tell me!)

cheers! :smile:
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Where do you live now?

I found the prices in Korea to be similar or more than in the US. Lenses were a bit better deal than bodies. Do a lot of research, and make sure you're getting a deal.

Beware of knockoffs/imitationjs and warranty limitations. Most of the best deals you will find are Japan warranty only. Panny is particularly devious in only enabling the Japanese menus in the items sold with JDM only warranty.
  3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    yes, you'll probably want to consider the exchange rates versus your country's currency
  4. dia36

dia36 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2011
    São Paulo, Brazil
    I live in brazil, should have mentioned that... Even Europe would be a lot cheaper for me... Imported goods here are always too expensive...

Thanks guys! :)
  5. dia36

dia36 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2011
    São Paulo, Brazil
    So, in the end, Hong Kong was the best place to get most of the stuff, even tho I ended up buying the E-P3, and a few different lenses... At Stanley street, in central, I got the 20 1.7, at Tin Cheung (still on Stanley street), got the black p3, vf2 and the mighty 12mm. Then the oly 45 and the pl25 were harder to find, no shop had stock...

I was lucky when I got the 25 at the Panasonic showroom in a mainstream store called SoGo, which is basically a department store. Then, the oly 45 I just found in Japan, and through, which was very fast in delivery... All prices were matching or a bit lower than B&H's, so for me it ended as a great deal... Also, the photo stores in Stanley st. will take American dollars and will pay you the full exchange rate of the day (7.7 to 1 on the days I was there), so you don't even need to worry about cashing out large amounts of money into some exchange office that will grab a bite of it...

Hope this helps someone anytime! :)
    • Like Like x 1