1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shopping in Hong Kong still cheaper ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by rich00, Jul 30, 2012.

1. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Hi all,

My sister in-law is heading to Hong Kong next week for a holiday. I'm just wondering if camera gear is still cheaper in Hong Kong or just about the same as on-line stores coming out of Hong Kong ? I don't want to send her on a goose chase to a variety of stores. I'm just after the velbon rexi tripod which should reasonably small and easy to pack. I don't think she will haggle much so I will to set the limit on the price for her.

Any thoughts or recommendations on camera stores which would be in a major shopping centre would be great.

Cheers
    Rich

2. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Hi, Rich, I don't think it's as cheap as it used to be. And not cheap at all without a significant amount of haggling. There may be some deals to be had on older/used/refurb-type stuff, but it sounds like your sister might not know what's what.

I was able to pick up some Voightlander items a few years ago for 10-20% less than in the States, but price competition in North America isn't as great on those items. [edit: and I only was able to get the price down when I was buying several items together]

If it's Oly/Pany stuff you want, here's a reasonably up-to-date list of HK prices:
    Micro 4/3 Price List Camera Lens Flash Accessories Market Price for micro43 m43 m4/3

3. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. Looks like pricing is the same as online.
    Might just ask for a snow dome.:biggrin:

4. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    I bought my Oly 45 when I was in Hong Kong in May, it was around $360 CAD after exchange bought at broadway, so slightly cheaper and no tax, but for a tripod you might not save enough to make it worth the hunt

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I though the USA had the best prices on gear?

6. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    If she was only going to the US, then I would be asking her to drop in to B&H.

7. penepl1

penepl1 New to Mu-43

Nov 23, 2010
    Its really depends on what u r getting. What do u need and where r u coming from Rich?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

8. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    I really don't need anything. Just that my sister in-law was heading to Hong Kong (we're in Australia) and I thought to make most of the opportunity. I was thinking on the velbon rexi tripod.

9. penepl1

penepl1 New to Mu-43

Nov 23, 2010
    The online prices are just a rough indicator, u may be able to get a better deal if u pay in cash. Many of the camera retailers are located at Sai Yeung Choi Street (Mong Kok), within walking distance from Mong Kok MTR. There are also some retailers located inside Mong Kok Computer Centre. IMO, Mong Kok should be the best place to source for your tripod. Bear in mind though, since HK has no import tax (VAT/GST), there'll be no tax rebates for visitors.