Shopping at Best Buy -- some camera thoughts

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by WT21, Nov 22, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I am a little lacking in my kit right now. One is in dynamic range, the other is in speed. I've been really thinking about trying a G3, GH2, or NEX. I even thought about a 5Dii, but I'm not going back there again!

Went to Best Buy for about an hour tonight and played with what they had. Just some observations/thoughts:

I really like that EPM1, and I just ordered one from Amazon. Best Buy didn't have any left, and they don't sell white. So, while I was willing to support them, they don't have the color I wanted, and they didn't have one right there (I would have bought black if I could have walked away with it).

The had the Nikon one there. I asked them of all the mirrorless cams, which were selling. He said not the Nikon. The sales rep said they started hot, but cooled off quickly. He said they were told that the one series would be THE hot seller because of the ad campaign, but it's not turning out that way.

He said the hottest seller for them is the NEX. But, I've been researching the NEX, and while the sensor is grand... Those lenses. Ugh! I was thinking of trying a NEX tonight, but looking at the 55-210, I didn't realize it STARTED at f/4.5 (most lenses in that range have the decency to start at least at f/4.0). And it's frankly a little silly looking on the NEX body.

So, no NEX for me. I think I'll stick with m43, and see what that Fuji system looks like in the spring for more DR (if the G3 or GH2 doesn't do it for me).

But that EPM1. Man, that's a sweet package. I'm going to try that -- for me, with the 14mm and I'll even give the kit lens a whirl. But I think I'll still try a G3, because I'd like the EVF. My wife keeps borrowing one of my cameras, and keeps messing things up (one day she did a whole day shooting on f/16. Another time she got it onto ISO3200). I'm thinking the EPM1 will be great for her -- it will be rally hard to mess up the settings.

So, the EPM1 comes Friday, and if it's as sweet as I think it will be (5fps, super quick AF, right in the jacket pocket), then it'll be a tough call between the EPL2 and the EP1. The EP1 might finally have to find a new home (though I could get more for the EPL2).

Decisions, decisions...

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, the Sony NEX 55-210mm is an f/4.5-6.3 lens. Even the Sigma 50-500mm is f/4-6.3, and I thought that was a slow beast. I can't imagine paying to get stuck with f/6.3 in a 200mm lens. Even a cheap compact 200mm legacy lens is slow at f/4.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Interesting observations from Best Buy... it would make sense, to me, that Sony is doing well, especially with their electronics name recognition. "Hey, that flat panel I just bought has the same memory stick slot!" :biggrin:

I have been pretty close to getting the E-PM1 a few times... such a tiny package with the 14mm on there. Congrats!

4. dfigueroa84

dfigueroa84 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    Interesting...! And congrats on the recent purchase. Would be nice, when you receive the cam, to give your thought comparing it to your epl2. Some real world, no high iso bs, IQ comparisons. Just saw epl2s for sale refurbished at B&H for 389 which is a pretty good deal. Great time for camera lovers!

Also, having owned the nex3 and 5, I think the biggest strength in m43 is the lenses. Some good pancakes paired with the sonys would be pretty sweet. But in the end, cams are just tools and I know you're new toy would produce excellent photos in the right hands.

5. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Check out, if possible, any deals they might have on 'floor' or 'demo' models (i.e., the ones they have under the glass that get handled by customers).

I got a nutty low price on a body-only 7D from the one on La Brea in Hollywood when I was in the market for one and basically stumbled upon it by accident.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well... you see in my signature that I have the G3 and the E-PM1. That's my micro four-thirds kit. And, barring something fabulous from Fuji or Pentax next year, it's likely to remain my kit for some time. I think the two cameras make a great pair. Highly recommended.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I did ask if they would sell me the floor model EPM1, but said they couldnt.

One other note - I like the shutter button on the EPM1. It doesnt really seem to need that Gariz button extension.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I will try some comparisons, but I did have the G3 earlier, and Amin says the EPM1 and EP3 are equivalent, so I'm assuming a slight tick up, but not a huge jump. I'll post my thoughts, thought, after trying it out.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I may end up there, lol. I was actually hoping BB would have the G3, but neither BB nor Ritz had it, so I wasn't able to try it out.

10. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Visit New York City during the Christmas season and drop in at B&H. If you've never been to their brick and mortar store, you owe it to yourself. They have virtually everything on display and available for you to pick up and play with. If you buy something, you can take photos of the decorations and Rockefeller Center tree with it!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I was shopping at Target today and saw Nikon J1 for the first time. It was sitting there right next to GF3. I was surprised by the cheap plastic feel of it. From the reviews I gathered that it had good build quality (maybe it was all about V1?). The whole thing looks like a toy with a funny pop-up flash, Lego style. It's shiny and slippery w/o grip. Funny, GF3 (also saw it for the first time) is exact same size (but with much bigger sensor). GF3 has far more solid and professional. I can't see enthusiasts getting behind Nikon 1 system. And we all know that Nikon is going to stick with this mount for decades to come.
    Finally, they had Canon T2i and T3 side by side. Those things are just monsters when seated next to GF3 (I generally feel that Panny cameras are built way more solid than Oly ones).
    Strangely, they had no Nex at all. Nex is very popular, many of my friends have it with kit zoom. I’ve seen tons of Nex users in San Francisco. I tried Nex-5 a year ago w/16mm lens and wasn't thrilled. I heard the kit zoom is better but at the time I had no interest in carrying anything larger than a pancake. I wasn't impressed with the results as I felt the images were soft when viewed full screen and I didn't like the colors. I may be one of the few who did like the interface and usability. But I do tend to like Sony products overall. I’d be curious to see how the upcoming E-mount 50mm f1.8 mounted on Nex stack up against Oly 45 f1.8 mounted on m43 body.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Good idea! NYC is one of the destinations we are considering between Christmas and New Years (though the kids are voting for Disney)

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I literally laughed out loud when the flash popped up, but yes, BB only had the low end Nikon One. Maybe the other one has a more serious build.

I had a NEX last year (Christmas through spring) and I was going through all my pictures over the last couple of days. The output is so soft for both the kit and the 16, but I understand the microlenses on the new NEX5n have been improved, and the output even with the same kit lenses is supposedly improved. By how much is another question. So, I'm interested in seeing more of the new NEX, but I have needs for different lenses -- there's no replacement for the PL25 and 45 yet, for instance.