"Shootingstars" in the sky tonight.

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by Sniksekk, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Hi, uncertain if I use the word correctly, but I`ve read that there will be "shootingstars" tonight.

I can`t go on a field-trip but the weatherforcast here is clear with no clouds.

I live in the capitol, so it`s alot of light here.
    Will I be able to take photos in my enviroment catching shootingstars?

And what settings?

F22, raise the ISO, 12mm (24mm on FF)?
    I do have a ND filter aswell, but that won`t do anything different?

2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I've never done it before but I think I'm going to try tonight.

I think though (never sure) that you want to make the aperture 2.8 or big as you have on your lens.

3. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    You will be able to get the meteors. Best to get out of the city lights a little (maybe the coast?) and shoot northish. Dont stop the lens down but rather open it up as wide as it can go. No need for ND filters. Shutter speed will depend on your focal length. iso speed you will want up and you will just want to keep on taking frame after frame using the intervalmeter. You can always reduce the exposure in post processing.

I went out last night and saw 4 with the naked eye. Even heard one of them which must have been fairly close to the ground.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    North direction never crossed my mind.
    Glad you mentioned that.
    Don't got a interval meter but settings in camera might work?

5. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Agreed, open up the aperture as wide as the lens allows, probably base iso (try first at 200 then boost if you aren't gathering enough light), MF set to infinity, and if you are using the 12mm try to keep your exposure under 24 seconds unless you want streaky stars. Use shutter speed and iso to balance out exposure if you are including foreground elements (or live comp might do the trick there as well).

• Like Like x 1
  6. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Yes I use the one in the E-M10. Make sure you know how to use it before you go out, it's tricky. What lens are you going to try with?

7. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Just FYI I was using 12mm last night with 20 second exposure and still got a tiny bit of trailing. It was acceptable. I use 25 seconds with the fisheye

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Hmm! Since much light fast is important.

Em-1 with 17mm @1.8, and Em-10 with 12mm @2.8 (12-40 Pro)?
    I don`t know so if anyone got any advicses feel free to post them :)

9. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Was that with the 12-40 or the Olympus prime? I want to try my rokinon 12 2.0 and was thinking probably about 20-30 seconds.

Also, in your experience what is about the highest you'd go in the ISO? I'm typically pretty tolerant of such things but I know it will probably be more noticeable in a blank night sky.

10. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Seems like in an urban setting you will be limited by light polution before star trails... You will be very lucky to catch a meteor in such short exposures.

11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Personally I would probably stop down one stop from maximum, go for ISO 800-1600 ish and whatever composite speed seemed reasonable. Stop the exposure whenever you desire.

12. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    This was with the 12-40mm. I was shooting iso 6400 but really just pushing it to check out how effective the stacking is with that iso. It turns out it's very effective. T
    That is why you use the intervalmeter and just keep shooting exposure after exposure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    A single meteor last night. Not impressive but this was 25 second, single frame (no stack), iso 6400 with the 7.5mm fisheye @ f3.5. Very light NR done in LR5 (20 lum with mask of 40). This was caught in 1 frame out of 60. The idea is if you get many meteors over many frames you mask them in.

Light pollution was a problem so just run with it. I made it a bit red here.

WueNNRAh.

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Thanks. I'm new with the lens so just the idea of shooting the stars (err, as opposed to "shooting stars") is exciting to me, if I don't catch a single meteorite. I just happen to be off of work so I'm going back and forth between going late tomorrow and very early Friday. One way or the other I expect to have many many crummy shots and maybe even one or two good ones!

15. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I just check my pictures from last years Geminid meteor shower and I used the following settings:

ISO 1600
    10-20 second exposures
    f/2.8 with the Oly 12-40 @ 12mm
    Interval timer running continuously

Here is a stack of the results:
    Geminid Meteors 2014-12-14.

• Like Like x 6
  16. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I don't think the light pollution is all that bad for this picture, if anything I think it actually adds a pleasing contrast to the edge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    A very quick edit with @MadMarcos meteors over the top

EZVEmz4h.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    It's 11.03 PM here. Started shooting now. Good night, and tanks for the help. :)

19. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Show us what you get! Have fun.

20. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015