Shooting with a E-M1 and a E-M10

BaldEgo

Mu-43 Rookie
I love my E-M1 but am starting to think there are shooting situations, i.e. street photography, when the smaller form factor of the E-M10 might be advantageous, especially when coupled with a small pancake lens like the 14-42mm EZ. Has anyone opted to buy both, and if so, what are kinds of shooting situations where you find yourself reaching for the E-M10 instead of the E-M1?

PatrickNSF

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
I have both. I purchased the E-M10 in February during an Olympus lens rebate promotion with the 14-42 EZ, 17/1.8 and 25/1.8. Shortly thereafter I purchased the E-M1 as a refurb with the 12-40/2.8, along with a few others. These eventually replaced my Sony dSLR and NEX cameras.

I use the E-M1 primarily with the 12-40/2.8, the 75/1.8 and the 14-150. I also use it when I know I'll need the FL-600R flash or C-AF. I use the E-M10 with the EZ and primes and often while traveling or about town.

They both have advantages and I'd be hard pressed to choose one over the other. Since they've replaced the need to maintain two distinct lens systems (Sony A-mount and E-mount), I've opted to keep both for now. I keep them ready with the 12-40 on the E-M1 (with the flash next to it) and the 25/1.8 on the E-M10. Hope that helps.

mario23

Mu-43 Regular
I left the nex for an em10...love it. I will probably get an em1 at some point but I want to get more glass first. That 12-40 I think is a must for travel but I love my primes! For now I'm plenty happy with the em10 compared to my old nex. I love the size and wonder of the em1 will be to big in comparison.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
My main street setup is the E-M10 and 14mm. It's super small and non-obtrusive. I even have the grip and it's not big at all. If street shooting is your thing, the E-M10 with any of the small M43 primes is great.

Saying that I've used the E-M1. Awesome camera, but it's a work horse where performance is the priority and not size or stealth.

mario23

Mu-43 Regular
That's kind of what I was thinking...good description.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Jan68

Mu-43 Regular
I use the EM5 with HLD-6 grip more and more for my work at the newspaper now, mostly the 17 1.8 or 30 2.8 on it. I will add another body and more lenses soon, and that will be my full switch to micro 4/3 from Canon DSLR, the Canon gear will go. For lenses I am planning on 12-40 2.8 and 75 1.8, for the body I am undecided between a second EM5 or an EM1. Might be the EM1, I never worked with one, but the reputation speaks for itself.......

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

Galengwath

Mu-43 Regular
I have both, and generally use the EM1 with the 12-40 pro and 75-300mm, particularly for situations where I want the better CAF or weather sealing, as well as for wildlife shots. The EM10 I use with my primes and for more casual situations where a discrete camera is desirable, such as street and event photography. And when I'm on a formal shoot I use both bodies.

billbooz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
William H. Booz
For those of you who have both the E-M10 and the E-M1, what really is the difference in handling? Is the E-M1 REALLY that much bigger than the E-M10? Do you find the controls, esp. the dials to control SS and Aperture, easier to use and more comfortable than those on E-M10? I have an E-M10 and love it. I'm coming from a Canon 60D as far as handling experience and opted for the E-M10 over my E-PL5 mainly because of the top dials for "real" SS and aperture control. Now, I am seriously selling my Canon arsenal to fund either (1) several lenses I'd like to have, or (2) an E-M1.

Bill Booz
http://www.infotor.com/blog

Galengwath

Mu-43 Regular
I appreciate the higher level of customizability on the M1, and the grip is really wonderful. The size difference between them is significant, but they're both small cameras for what they can do. On the whole they're quite similar in operation and I generally find it to be pretty seamless switching between them. The main difference for me are some of the higher end feature like improved CAF, weatherproofing and EVF that have me often reaching for my M1 And when using larger lenses the better grip on the M1 comes in handy, though to be fair I don't currently have the add-on grip for the M10.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
If I owned an E-M1, I might look at either the E-M5 or E-P5 mainly for battery compatibility. If you get the E-M10, you'll have two chargers due to the smaller BLS-5 battery.

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
Personally I find the EM1 with an Oly prime (12/17/25) to be small enough and discreet enough for street photography. If I really need to be discreet, then I use my Ricoh GR Digital III in "snap focus" mode.

Latest threads

Top Bottom