1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Shooting underwater?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Promit, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I have something coming up where I'd really like to be able to shoot underwater if at all possible. This would be in a large pool housing dolphins -- not exactly sure of the depth. The full blown GH2 underwater housings are a little steep at $1400 and up. Something capable of fitting the PM1 with the 20mm or 45mm might be exactly what I need. Does anyone have experience with something like this?
    Amazon.com: DicaPac WP410 160x105 mm Small Zoom Alfa Waterproof Digital Camera Case with Optical Lens (Clear): Electronics
    It's made for compacts, but the Oly with a pancake lens is definitely in a similar size range right? At $20, I'm also nverous that it's a little too cheap. I'm willing to pay more in the 50-100 range without even blinking if it'll do the job, but 1400 is way too far up the scale, and the dedicated PM1 housing is still 600.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking it might be possible to rent housings, but haven't managed to find anything yet.

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
  3. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I bought the WPH10 to keep my Gf1 dry in the surf at the beach, and it works well for that. I've never tried it completely submerged, so I just submerged it in a kettle of water for 20 minutes to see what would happen. It didn't leak. I can't say what would happen under pressure at greater depths.

The WPH10 is a good size for the Gf1 with the 20mm. The camera goes in and out of the bag easily with the lens attached. For longer lenses, the bag came with an extension for the lens housing part of the bag.

That said, it will fit the Gf1 with the 14-45mm, but it's a royal pain to get into the bag:
    unscrew the front cover from the lens housing part of the the bag
    take the lens off the camera
    carefully insert the body into the bag (with the sensor exposed :eek:)
    put the lens through the lens housing opening and reattach it to the camera
    attach the lens housing extension
    replace the clear plastic lens cover.

By the time I've done all that, I'm ready to forget taking pictures and head to the nearest tiki bar. If it would help you decide, I can try to get some close up shots of the bag and how the seal works.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yeah I'm...not feeling too comfortable with this stuff. I think I'll just buy a GoPro for the underwater part of things instead. Thanks though...might still be a good idea to have a water housing for beaches and pools and such.

5. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Probably a good idea, I'm not too comfortable recommending this thing.

6. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    I used to use a DiCaPac with my old Sony compact camera when I went snorkeling. Worked great. Never had a problem with leaking.