Shooting the Panasonic G1 in Anger Next Weekend

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
Not knowing an opportunity was upcoming, I allowed a retired photographer friend with no digital gear to borrow my G5, FL-600R, 12-35mm, and 75mm lenses for a week so he can fly out to take pictures at his daughter's wedding where his isn't the official photographer. He's a good friend and I wanted him to have some fun with the new stuff and he's eminently trustworthy.

HOWEVER: since I made that promise, another photog friend got me an "All Access" pass to a hot air balloon festival coming up next weekend. I can wander around everywhere, talk to folks, get close to the flying machines and so forth. FUN!

But I like to shoot two cams, dang it. I still have the GX1 with LVF2 and I will shoot the 35-100mm f/2.8 on it -- but what else to use? I have three choices:

• Buy another body -- not really an option right now.
  • Use my "vintage" G1 that's in my camera collection
  • Use my "vintage" E-P1 that's in my camera collection
Since it'll all be in daylight so it'll be bright the two "vintage" cameras will do fine. So which one?

I'm going with the G1 because:

• Much better controls overall
  • Feels better in the hand
  • Has a viewfinder
I will probably shoot the 7-14mm on the G1. I did some single frame and hand-held HDR tests in the backyard yesterday and I'm actually impressed -- the old G1 can do the job.

Of course I'll post anything worthwhile I get next weekend here on the board.

Who else still rocks an old G1? I have to say, the ergonomics are still brilliant n this first-of-its-kind mu-43 cam.

PENpal

Mu-43 Veteran
I have the EPL1 and G1. I use the G1 with legacy lens more for outdoor use because of the viewfinder. The EPL1 with the panny 14-42 too. I'm happy with both cameras.

chipshot713

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Kelly
Have a hacked GH1 & a G1. Use the Gh1 mainly because of the video capability, and the G1 for back-up.

iamajai

Mu-43 Regular
I'm still using a G1 as my only camera. It was a hand me down from my father last year and my first experience with micro 4/3. As others have said the ergonomics are great. The quality of the photos from the camera have been more than satisfactory, but then again I don't have another body to directly compare with. I like to console myself in thinking that the difference in photos posted here has more to do with differences in post processing than the camera itself. That being said, I find myself eyeing the G6 as a future replacement as the focus peaking and video capabilities are very attractive.

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've had two G1's and used 7-14's on both of them. In good light they will never let you down. Just remember to shoot right, keep yer ISO low, and take a few exposures (I know you will). The rest is between God and your magic hands.

Bokeh

Shot on a G1 with 14-45. Lots of opportunity to strut its stuff in this shot... no PP beyond a touch of sharpening and colour. The original image has much more depth in the blacks... put this in LR and you could be shooting an M9:)

P1050338R2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
Why don't you rent another body to play around with? Try Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica and Pentax or LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

I rent from them all the time, and have loved the service....also, gives you a chance to try newer bodies at a decent price!!

I'm aware of some of the rental companies but I've never done it yet. It's good advice though, thanks. I'm committed to the challenge of using the G1 for this gig though. The extra care required will keep me sharp, lol.

I've had two G1's and used 7-14's on both of them. In good light they will never let you down. Just remember to shoot right, keep yer ISO low, and take a few exposures (I know you will). The rest is between God and your magic hands.

Bokeh

I surely trust God more -- and come to think about it any "magic hands" I have come from God as well!

Thanks for the advice and I'll keep it in mind this weekend.

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
Well, I lied: I picked up a $200 GH1 that is excellent and it will be taking the G1's place this weekend.

They are pretty much identical in handling though. Glad I got the practice in with the G1.

The extra stop of dynamic range and the movie mode will be welcome additions to my adventure at the hot air balloon festival.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Good luck and have fun, John. Where is this hot-air balloon festival? The next one in Readington, New Jeraey, looks like it'll clash with the historic Roebling event in July, schedule wise.

swampduck

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Not knowing an opportunity was upcoming, I allowed a retired photographer friend with no digital gear to borrow my G5, FL-600R, 12-35mm, and 75mm lenses for a week so he can fly out to take pictures at his daughter's wedding where his isn't the official photographer. He's a good friend and I wanted him to have some fun with the new stuff and he's eminently trustworthy.

I treat my camera like my wife;

1. Treat her with respect
2. Buy accessories for her
3. Get angry on occasion
4. Always speak highly of her, mostly :smile:
5. Try to keep her in her place, most times this doesn't work out :smile:
6. NEVER loan her out!

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
Good luck and have fun, John. Where is this hot-air balloon festival? The next one in Readington, New Jeraey, looks like it'll clash with the historic Roebling event in July, schedule wise.

Thanks, Steve. Don't tell my cousin Sheila (who was with us at the meet up) as she works for the Roebling Museum.

This one is in Chester County, PA at the Plantation Field in Unionville -- just a few miles from my home! Here's a link to information:

2013 Chester County Balloon Festival at Plantation Field

I got the tickets through a fellow photographer who runs a group for Chester County photographers (which I never attend but he called me anyway, lol).

The only catch is that the organizers want to have our best stuff for future promotion which is fine by me: I'm in this for fun.

Definitely doing some kind of hybrid video from it afterwards though I don't know have a clue what since I've never been to one of these things so it'll be scripted after the fact, lol.

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
I treat my camera like my wife;

1. Treat her with respect
2. Buy accessories for her
3. Get angry on occasion
4. Always speak highly of her, mostly :smile:
5. Try to keep her in her place, most times this doesn't work out :smile:
6. NEVER loan her out!

LOL! Well, my wife gets the better treatment for sure. I don't try to beat up my cameras (and certainly not my wife!) but sometimes the conditions don't always promote gentle handling. Loaning the camera is definitely on a case by case basis. The guy who has it I very much trust -- not even so much that nothing will happen to it; but that one way or another I'll get a working camera back from him even if it's not the one I gave him.

Lenses I have beat up terrible from lying together in unpartitioned bags, lol. But that gives somebody a bargain when I sell them. I always protect the glass though. I'm not a complete idiot!

snkenai

Mu-43 Top Veteran
G1

G1. Yup! Just got back the G1 that I traded to my daughter some time ago. Let her have the G3. Not near as good handling, but she wanted to do some video, without buying a video camera. I don't do video, so good for us both. After several cameras between ownership of this great camera, I really like the "complete" handling of the G1.
Just bought an Oly 14-42mm II, as a companion for it.
Does it have "an eternal home" guarantee? NO! But we're happy together, for now.:smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom