Shooting RAW+JPG and iPhoto '11

sinclair

Mu-43 Veteran
Question for you other shooters that use the Mac. I'm currently shooting in RAW+JPG with my GF5. I have a 64GB card, so space really isn't an issue (That and when it's full, I just plan on getting a new card.), and I have a 2TB hard drive that my iLife libraries are on. But every time I import photos to iPhoto, I get 2 of everything, the RAW and JPG files. My plan is to get Aperture in a couple of months, but as of now, I don't know if I'll have the same problem of all these doubles. I guess what I want to know is, is there a way to only get iPhoto (or Aperture) to only import the RAW files, or will I have to only select them for import or delete them after import. iPhoto handles the RAW just fine, but I shoot JPG too in case I want to connect the camera to someone else's PC, or put the SD card in a TV or smart media device/PC/tablet/phone for viewing. So how do you other Mac users handle this, or do you just stick with one format? I guess even you Windows guys could say what you do about this dilemma. Image duplication on the SD card/camera makes sense, but it's driving me up the wall on my computer.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
In Aperture, when you are importing look in the upper right corner and click on Import Settings. Click on RAW-JPEG Pairs, it will then give you the option of importing either RAW, JPEG or both and which will be considered the original. In that column there is also a setting "Do not import duplicates". I shoot JPEG + RAW pairs as I often download to an iPad. I can't help you with iPhoto but I strongly recommend upgrading to Aperture.

phl0wtography

Mu-43 Veteran
First of all, I can also only recommend to work with a proper RAW Editing Software of some sort. Even the software that came with your GF5 (SilkyPix) is miles ahead of iPhoto for RAW conversion.
Second of all, unless you want to use the JPEGs as some sort of sample to get your RAWs in the right ballpark in post, there's no use in shooting RAW+JPEG. Digital cameras have video+audio output (that extra cable that your GF5 came with), which allows to hook them up to TVs (every TV has those jacks), PCs and whatnot. Your camera will then send its output to the hooked up device rather its LCD (or both, depending on the model) and you are free to look at your files, even if you shot in RAW only, since what you get to see in review mode are JPEGs anyway.
I stick to RAW only. I don't think about situations "in case". The camera itself is a good enough device to review and show pictures to others if they absolutely must see them - be it over video output or the LCD. No need to put my SD card in someone else's device (sounds more kinky than it actually is :wink: ) and run the risk of corrupting files and whatnot.

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
different strokes for different folks

but my thoughts

1) Keeping all you photos on one card until its full seems odd to me... I shoot on 8 or 16 gig cards and wipe them as soon as I download them.

2) I never download from the camera... always from a card reader... what happens if the cameras battery dies during transfer?

3) iphotos RAW processing for general adjustments is pretty stellar... personally I reckon its using most of the same processing that you find in Aperture.

4) if there is a need to share photos with others, then creating an album of the images you want to share is quick and easy with iphoto or Aperture. Export your good images to a USB stick or use Photostream.

then again I will shoot from 50 to 500 shots in a single shoot/day... your approach may be different

K

sinclair

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm treating my card like a roll of film. Maybe it's because I came from film, and the card is so large. I had a 1GB card in a Kodak point and shoot, and only erased it because it didn't have room to keep all the photos. As for downloading from the camera, I always make sure I do it with a fully charged battery.
As for iPhoto and RAW, iPhoto '11 uses the same 'engine' as Aperture 3, as stated in Apple support documents. And I fully intend to move to it as soon as I have the money. I'm glad to hear it has an option to select which to import. I also look forward to using the unified library of the two, as well as moving the older iPhoto libraries from my other two Macs and combining them.
About that cable that came with my GF5, it's not a video connection cable. It is only a USB cable for connecting to the PC, or Pict-Bridge compatible printers. I still need to hunt down the HDMI/video out cable for the camera so I can buy one.

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
really ... dont treat your SD card as an endless roll of film.....get the shots on your computer and back up those images

K

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
really ... dont treat your SD card as an endless roll of film.....get the shots on your computer and back up those images

K

Yup, which is what I do with the iPad. Images go into both my various libraries and PhotoStream plus the iPad apps to cull, view; and, make basic edits, etc. And, you still have the SD cards as the ultimate back-up.

Latest threads

Top Bottom