1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shooting performers with the EM-1 and 12-40 f2.8

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by silver92b, Feb 19, 2015.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I carry my camera all the time. We were participating in a Valentine's dance party and a singer was featured. She actually had very good pipes and knew how to sing. I took some shots of her but the background was never very appealing to I tried my hand at erasing some offending features, etc. Anyway, here are some shots, feel free to comment and ask questions.

I will say that even with the 12-40 f2.8, I still have problems with AF and hunting. Manual focusing in low light with these cameras/lenses is just not very easy. It's kind of strange, but even though totally manual, shooting with the Leica M240 is actually easier and I get more keepers per shot.. It's counterintuitive, but true for me.

singer-2. singer-4. singer-9. singer-10.

• Like Like x 1
  2. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    A few more shots
    singer-5. singer-6. singer-15. singer-16.

3. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Well, what lens are you using with that M240? I suspect it's a faster one than the F2.8 zoom. Add on top that the Leica has a FF sensor, and this is not a fair fight in the least under low light conditions.

A fast prime makes a lot of difference in very dark venues!

4. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

What ISO were you shooting? Most of these are really noisy as well as out of focus.

For performance shooting, I usually have the ISO at 1600 or even higher. AF should not be a problem if you set a single focus point and put that point on an edge, such as the side of her face or the microphone. Using the all or group target grid will put the camera in the position of locking up on whatever is strongest contrast, which may not be where you really want it.

You might get better results if you bump up the aperture to f/4 or so to give you a little more depth of field, at least until you get the hang of grabbing focus in poor lighting.

5. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    It's not a fight, fair or not. Just an observation. I do use a 50mm f1.4 with the Leica.

6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    The ISO was set to 3200, you are right that AF should not be a problem, but it is. I use spot metering and single point focus. The shots are heavily cropped, thus the 'Noise". Most of the shots are actually in focus but not all. f2.8 with the micro four thirds crop factor is actually f5.6, if I try stopping down, there would be even less light and the AF would be even more of a problem. I could have used a higher ISO, but that would not help how much light gets into the AF system and then the noise would be even greater... It's just the limitations of the system in low light, that's all.

7. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    With a bit more light, AF and noise are much better

1/40 f2.8 ISO 2500

P8280417.JPG