Shooting mode for adapted lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by azngigolo64, Mar 23, 2012.

1. azngigolo64

azngigolo64 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    I used to shoot in full manual mode on my G3 and would always have issues with the exposure settings, either too dark or too bright.

I accidentally shot in Aperture mode today and found out that I can let the camera automatically select the shutter speed and iso, which I previously thought was not possible with manual lens.

So out of curiosity, what mode do you guys shoot in with legacy glass? I tried the shutter mode but it doesnt work with legacy glass since the camera always thinks the aperture is at 0.0
  2. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I always shoot aperture priority! It's basically smart manual with legacy glass. You set the aperture on the glass, and then use exposure compensation if you need it. If you want to have control of your shutter speed, simply specify an ISO and then choose shutter speed from there. Or you might not even need to specify the iso, don't quite remember.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    On some cameras though you may not get a meter reading in Aperture Priority (usually the case with Olympus). I often shoot in Program mode, which with manual glass is the same thing as Aperture Priority.
  4. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    I just leave it in P with either evaluative or spot metering depending on the lens. I've a fair idea of the quirks of most of my lenses now in terms of applying correction. Seems to be mostly a third of a stop under, apart from the big zoom which can need a whole stop.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I always use Program mode with the control wheel set to adjust exposure compensation. In A mode the main wheel no longer has a direct function with a manual lens, the exception being the click wheel on the Panasonics where you can click the wheel in and leave exp comp active.
    • Like Like x 1