Shooting meteor shower - suggestions please

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by LundyD, Aug 9, 2014.

1. LundyD

LundyD Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH, U.S.A.
    Dave Lundy
    Has anyone here had any experience shooting video of meteor showers? Any tips for camera settings or lens suggestions? I'm mostly a stills shooter, but have dabbled in video just a bit. I'd be using a Panasonic DMC-GH4 and currently have an Olympus 12mm f/2.0 lens and a Panny 25mm f/1.4. I also have a Panny 7-14mm f/4.0, but suspect it's far too slow for this application. I like the idea of using the fastest lens, but the lower probability of seeing a meteor in the smaller field of view is troubling, so the 12mm seems to me to be the best choice of these three. I'm really bummed that there's a full moon during the perseids shower this year.

2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    My last experience with a meteor shower was that I didn't realize how much dew was falling from the sky until I came in out of the dark to find every image ruined by tiny drops of water covering the front lens element.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LundyD

LundyD Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH, U.S.A.
    Dave Lundy
    Thanks, MajorMagee. I've read about lens warmers and small fans to avoid that problem, but it's something I haven't had to deal with so far.