1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shooting JPEG

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DavidH, Dec 12, 2012.

1. DavidH

DavidH New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2012
    Hamilton, Ontario
    I know it maybe not popular but I love my OMD and I shoot JPEG.
    I really like Olympus JPEG Engine built into the OMD, and I think it does a great job.
    Secondly I subscribe to the approach of getting it right out of the camera and I do not like spending time behind the computer processing images, I would rather be out shooting.

Anyway enough about me my question is for all those JPEG shooters and I would like to know what size and compression JPEG Images do you shoot on your OMD e.g. Large/Normal, Large/Fine or Large/SuperFine?

DavidH

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I don't shoot JPEG on my m4/3 gear, but I do occasionally on my Fuji camera because I like the film simulation modes. My preference is to shoot RAW + JPEG, with JPEG on the maximum quality setting. Reasoning is twofold:

1) Disk space and memory cards are cheap enough - I paid like $1/GB for 16GB Class 10 SD cards
    2) If I need to crop or post-process at all, print, or resize the larger resolution will hold up better

Honestly I can't see any good reason to throw away resolution, especially when you're already shooting in a lossy format.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I shoot large super fine. I prefer shooting jpeg. I'm more concerned about the subject capture than I am about tweaking a shot in post. To me subject and story capture is paramount. A good picture is taken at the moment the shutter releases and no amount of PP tweaking will change that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I always shoot jpegs at the highest quality setting...I don't want a good image potentially ruined by compression.

5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I have a lot of respect for JPEG shooters who can do everything right the first time in camera. I have a friend like that and his work is amazingly polished straight out of the camera.

I think the E-M5 defaults to RAW+Large/Normal (if I was already in RAW) when I apply an art filter so that's what I've been using when I do shoot JPEG.

From DPR on Fine vs. Super Fine:

• Like Like x 1
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Welcome to the forum DavidH. I only shoot RAW. I find that RAW provides me additional tools for perfecting my images. As to your popularity, I think most everybody here respects your choice of format (... or just doesn't care anymore).

What I care about is the content of your images not the capture format. So lets see some photos.

Gary

7. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I used to be a strict jpeg shooter and would always use the super fine setting. It was quite thrilling to get the settings right in camera. Certain situations were a challenge (e.g. Interior architecture with blown out highlights in the windows, underexposed ground or overexposed skies [i was too lazy to use a grad ND filter], over saturated reds which the Olympus jpeg engine tends to do). Also, the LCD sometimes appears brighter leading to an underexposed shot. When the OM-D came out, it became much easier to do zone metering in camera (instead of using a grad ND filter) and tweak afterwards. Because of the dynamic range available by shooting RAW, I've never had to shoot low light situations using a tripod. I am still a stickler for no cropping, no overlayed images (panorama or HDR). I edit only to augment and I only use LR4 for my images, no PS.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Disk space is pretty cheap, so I'd recommend going with the highest quality option. However, there's no meaningful difference between Fine and SuperFine, so I'd suggest LF.

9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    When shooting JPG, I use Large/Normal. The first half is the resolution and large saves all of it. The second half is the amount of compression used when saving the file. Since JPG uses a lossy compression algorithm, if a file is opened, changed, recompressed and changed enough times it will eventually be degraded. I usually work from the original JPG and save it to a new name, this is never an issue.

What's more important when shooting JPGs is to get exposure and WB right in the camera (same as shooting chromes), and not to cook extreme JPG conversion settings into the file (like sharpening, contrast & noise reduction) that can't be undone.

10. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Eddie
    I am also a JPG shooter, as I only do light post-processing with Coral Paint Shop Pro. Most of the time JPG straight out is plenty good enough for me, and if I misfocused and captured a blurry shot, I don't think post-processing will be able to help me much anyway.

I choose Fine compression mode as according to my own observation (and other people's as well), the difference is very minimal between Fine and Super Fine mode, yet the file size difference is significant. As I only do light post-processing I don't find the picture quality deteriorate much at all.

11. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    If I am shooting to post on the web I shoot Small Fine at 1024 x 768 pixels.

If I am shooting for other reasons I shoot RAW + Small Fine at 1024 x 768.

That way if I later decide there is an important detail in a Small Fine jpeg that I'd like to see enlarged then I can go to the RAW image and view it.

12. LudwigVB

LudwigVB Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    Well said, I fully agree.

13. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    I also shoot only in raw. My reason is simple and logical. I can make a jpg from a raw; I cannot make a raw from a jpg.

14. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    white balance adjustment too strong xD

One of the only reasons I shoot raw though, besides generally better image quality. I'm just too impatient to dial in a WB for every image, which is what I would feel the need to do in jpeg. I do really like the character of the OM-D jpegs though.

15. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    Like many, I like shooting jpeg+raw. With my 7D, depending on the situation, I would shoot raw only, because I can easily process pictures using DPP, and can quickly apply the changes that the jpeg engine would have done anyway.

On the OMD, I'll probably shoot both until I'm sure that I can get the jpeg output that I want. From all the reviews and pictures I've seen, the OMD with the Olympus engine is very good at producing very good images. I just like to have the raw to fall back on should I want to do more. Plus - memory is CHEEP. Get moar. Delete what you don't want to keep.

16. DavidH

DavidH New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2012
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Well Said

Well said Jonathan!

DavidH

• Like Like x 1
  17. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Well, yes, and no.

Yes, it is imperative to try and get as much right in the capture as possible, but, if you ignore PP, e.g. with RAW files, you are missing a big trick.

With film even, if you did not develop your own in a dark room, then talented photo lab technicians would often perform darkroom processes like dodge and burn etc., without you even knowing.

Our digital equivalent is software like Lightroom, Aperture etc., it is all part of the process of getting a good image from capture through to screen or print.

My 2p worth.

18. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    One of the biggest reasons to get Olympus is to shoot jpegs. Spot on exposure, outstanding AWB, pleasing color balance, low noise sensor with sufficient DR. Unless you plan on changing your images for artistic effect, there is simply no reason in wasting your time in front of computer if it's only a hobby. Slight adjustments can easily be done to jpegs if needed...

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  19. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I have no clue, in which way this relates to JPEG vs. raw.