1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shooting in uptown Charlotte.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Chuck Pike, May 23, 2010.

1. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    I am taking my GF1 uptown now at least once a week for 2 +/_ hours. There has really been a lot going on and I have settled into documentary photography. I am meeting lots of people and they are very kind in letting me take their picture. The people who are vendors are getting to know me, and say hello. I am leaving cards with them so they are coming onto my web site and looking at what I have taken of them. Still, there are things that I run across each time that are different and may never see again. Last week I came across a Hindu wedding party. Not sure where the bride was, but the groom met with a large number of guest, and then they all danced down the street towards the center of town, the square. He was dressed as if he just walked off the page of National Geographics magazine. What great fun, and I was so lucky to find this.

They sell flowers down on the square during the lunch hour, and I have been taking pictures of people at the stands, but I wanted to catch some of the people walking through the town with flowers in their hands. After several attempts, I got the shot Friday. Man walking down the sidewalk towards me. I point at the camera, and then take his picture as he approaches me. I stopped him just long enough to give him my card, tell him I am not trying to sell anything and thanked him for letting me take his picture.

Same with a Trio playing on the street. They sounded so very good. They must have a gig someplace in uptown at night. Thing is you can come down here every week and find something both interesting and different. Shoot mostly with face detection since the first time I used it, and it focuses each time. Very much like my Nikon D200 set to nearest subject focus. Very fast and accurate. I am going to keep adding to my gallery of the people of Charlotte, and keep it just people and not buildings. No one has given me a hard time about taking pictures, and this is such a change from when I took my Nikon with the 17-35mm f/2.8 lens to town. That lens weighs more than the GF1 with the 14-45mm lens. I hope to pick up the 20mm soon. I figured that what made Charlotte a great place to live, wasn't the tall buildings but the people and I wanted to shoot them.

photosbypike

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
  3. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    Where is this located?

Your right, I am interested. They placed the Fire bird in uptown Charlotte in 2009 and it is the most photographed object in town.
    photosbypike

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Chuck, it would be great if you'd post a few of your photographs right here in this thread.

I was just looking at your North Carolina galleries - specifically Manteo. Very nice shots!!

5. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Hi - my version is by the same artist, this time in her Tarot Garden in Italy - Tarot Garden official web site

Extremely impressive place, with all the bright colors, glass covered statues etc under the Italian sun we ended up making several hundred shots in thhe space of three hours... will post some when I finish sorting them !

6. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
  7. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    let see if I now have this right. Write comment and then attach photo. Kind words about my galleries. I had been selling to one magazine that stopped buying stock, and started hiring their own staff. I went all over NC shooting what I thought they might be able to use. When they stopped using stock, I started the web site, thinking that if one publication wanted to use my work there had to be others. It was just a question of how to reach them.

[​IMG]