Shooting in the rain

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Herman, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I don't shoot in the rain. I don't have a weather sealed camera.

So I wonder are you shooting in the rain?
    With what camera, protective cover maybe, umbrella?

I do look forward to your replies, thanks.

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    It would be with my K7 and 50-135 or 18-55 WR lens, naked! The camera of course. (though I haven't yet - I did once take out my 50-135 and K20d out in the pouring rain. No problem at all). I love my pentax stuff for being built like a tank and weather sealed.

• Like Like x 4
  3. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Not to seem wet (Ha!), but when it's really coming down, I dig in the gear closet and pull out my Nikon D300, with either the 18-70, 85mm Micro, or 35mm G lens.

-Or-

I have sometimes improvised a camera raincoat from a plastic bag. This works pretty well if you have a lens that doesn't rotate the front elements to focus. You can stick the camera into the bag so that the lens points toward the opening, and wrap one rubber band about the front of the lens, and then close the plastic bag opening until it's snugged up around the circumference of the lens and wrap the other rubber band around the opening, sandwiching the plastic between the rubber band that's already on the lens and the second, outer rubber band. If you do it right there should be just a tiny bit of the front of the lens poking out (it depends on the lens). If you use a good bag that doesn't have holes in it, and wrap the bands carefully (and don't point the opening up) this works fairly well in light rain. So I try to always carry a plastic bag and a rubber band or two in case of rain emergencies.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    I'm designing a wrapper for my camera. It'll be made of a disposable shower cap and a UV filter. The filter will be installed in a hole in the cap, such that both threads can still be used (perhaps hot glue, perhaps something else). The elastic bit will close it around the back of the camera. I'm not sure how it'll work out; I need to find and buy a cheap filter first.

With the E-P1 kit zoom, the shower cap will need enough play to twist when focus changes. I might need to find a bigger bag or wrap of some sort.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I use my Olympus e-410 when its raining, no problems so far but I don't leave it to soak or anything silly.
    I haven't used my G1 in the rain yet, I don't have the same confidence in it ... a subjective feeling.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Is it true that Pentax offers real value for money when looking for weather sealed bodies and lenses? There are no competitors which can even meet this at such price?

7. pxpaulx

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I would say most definitely. Last year they re-introduced their two kit lenses, the 18-55mm and 50-200mm, in a WR version(their term for weather resistant). I bought the 18-55mm WR and it is very well built for a 'kit lens', and though I haven't had it in the rain, I have read multiple user experiences that indicate it is well sealed and can handle moderate sustained rain without problems. Prior to the newest cheaper WR lenses, the DA* lenses, which are their upper line of lenses, have been around for several years and are also completely weather sealed - the focus and zoom are internalized so there are no extending parts (so the DA* lenses are supposed to be better - they are sold as weather sealed, vs. the newer cheaper lenses which are sold as being weather resistant). I have the DA* 50-135mm f2.8, and it is easily my favorite lense, with great optics and I have personally taken it out in several downpours just for fun! Works as good as new. Pentax is also releasing the new 18-135mm WR lens announced at Photokina, and their DFA 100mm Macro lens was also re-released last year in a weather sealed package.

They have also been making sealed bodies for close to 5 years now. Starting with the K10d, then K200d and K20d, the K7 and now K5. The older K10d and K200d can be found used from $300-400 and the K20d around $500 - pairing one of those with the newer 18-55mm WR lens gives you a weather sealed kit for potentially well under $600.

The new D7000 from Nikon is reportedly also weather sealed - attaching a non-sealed lens to a sealed body is worthless though IMO, and a sealed lens from Nikon will cost dearly!

8. pxpaulx

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    • Like Like x 4
  9. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Brianetta, have you considered buying a cheap polarizer and discarding the filter glass from the mount. That would leave you with an empty filter mount that rotates. You could replace the polarizer glass with clear uv glass, or just screw the empty polarizer mount onto the back of a decent UV filter. Either way the lens barrel would be free to rotate after it had been attached to the rear of the housing for the polarizing filter.

• Like Like x 2
  10. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Clear Shower Caps

Been taking them from hotel rooms as long as I have had a good camera. Put the camera in the cap with the lens poking out of the elastic hole. It makes it harder to operate the camera controls, but works really well and takes up no space in your bag. Carry the camera lens down when not shooting. I haven't been caught in the rain with my G1; I might need a smaller cap!

Lee

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 2
  12. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I've used my Olympus E-3 in heavy rain loads of times. On two ocassions I've had it drenched in sea water. The first time I was near a public toilet so I thoroughly rinsed the salt water off under a running tap. The second time was at a more remote location so I just let it dry as I continued to use it. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    I considered it, but decided against it. I do actually have a cheap polariser, and it doesn't rotate all that freely. It's also far more useful as a polariser. (-: In addition to al lthat, I'm not happy with the idea of removing and re-inserting glass; it needs to be waterproof when I'm done.

The lens only rotates about 80°, so with a little slack the shower cap (or other bag) should be able to twist adequately.

I have some old colour filters; I was considering taking the glass out of one of them, and screwing it it into a UV filter through the shower cap, then using a razor to cut out the trapped circle of polythene, or cloth, or whatever.

• Like Like x 2