Shooting in daylight without an EVF

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by craniac, Dec 10, 2014.

1. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane

I use a GX1 but I'm too cheap to get an EVF. I live in the Middle East, however, so daytime shooting can be tricky because the LCD is hard to see. Is there some kind of hood or something I could make/attach that would make it easier to see? I've seen the hoodman loupe, and it is huge.
  2. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane

Just saw this solution on another forum :)
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I've tried the Delkin hoods wiht the older E-P2 and the results were disappointing. YMMV, however.
  4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I used a cheaper equivalent of a Hoodman loupe on my E-PL1 primarily for video and aiding in MF and agree that its huge, but it does work. If you're looking for a compact solution, either the folding hoods or just ponying up for the EVF are the only options I can thing of apart from just shading the LCD with your hand.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Spring for the EVF. I live in bright sunny West Texas, had a GX1 and the EVF is the only real solution to bright sun. I have the Hoodman with 3x eyepiece I carry in a camera bag but if you're not willing to "hold it in place" or comfortable doing that, the EVF is the only way to go. It made a tremendous difference to me.
  6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    I live in Australia where its quite bright. I feel you are now coming to grips with why some of us wouldn't have a camera without an EVF.

A used G1 body will cost less than an EVF for your camera , and who knows you may find that there is little discernable unless pixel peeping and you may like the articulating screen ;-)
  7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well, I'm another Aussie and it sounds to me as if you guys in Texas stole our light and then came to the same conclusions about what you need to shoot in it :)

When I got my E-P3 which was my first M43 camera, I didn't buy an EVF with it. A bit over a month or so later I bought the EVF. It really is the only sensible solution if the light is so strong that you can't make anything out on the LCD screen and that was the situation I was in far too often. I guess I could always have mounted the camera on a tripod and draped a towel or something over me and the top of the camera like the hood that old time photographers used to use in order to be able to see the ground glass on old view cameras in the 1800's but an EVF is cheaper, and lighter, than a good tripod and a hell of a lot easier to cart around.

OK, there are other solutions to the problem besides the towel/tripod combo or an EVF but none of the other solutions is as good as the EVF even if they are better than the towel and tripod. Just get the EVF, you'll never regret it.
  8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    +1 on the evf. Make sure you get a good eyecup if there is one available for your evf of choice. From the Olympus side, the eyecup for the VF-2 is pretty awesome. Haven't seen anything similar for the VF-4 as yet :(